Music by Evgeny Svetlanov

Started by Theodore S., Wednesday 10 January 2024, 15:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Theodore S.

Good morning everyone,

This will be one of two posts I will be making in this channel, dedicated to the recordings of music by two Soviet-Russian composers whom I admire very much, and whose music I think is worth sharing. This post will be dedicated to the discussion and sharing of recorded music by Evgeny Svetlanov, better known as one of the most prolific conductors in recent history. Svetlanov was also a wonderful late-romantic composer, and is genuinely one of my favorite composers of the 20th century. Much of his music can be heard online, but I wanted to share a couple recordings which haven't been digitized before. These are the pieces:

String Quartet in D major (played by the Borodin Quartet): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y7achAmBY-FVbIqqM6eaaUKRY1EkFTPR/view?usp=drive_link

Lyric Waltz in F minor for string orchestra (played by the USSR Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Svetlanov): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qt-bH3xWY_OCj5TdADBHmaNqOLIaxz4H/view?usp=drive_link

While the String Quartet in D major is available on YouTube under a different performance (by the
Moscow Regional Philharmonic Quartet, aka the Shostakovich Quartet), this recording by the Borodin Quartet has an extra introduction and coda in the fourth movement not present in the other recording online, so this is a fairly special find (in the full manuscript score of the quartet, these extra sections are written in pen, but are crossed out in pencil). As for the Lyric Waltz, I don't believe it previously existed on the internet.

I'm curious to hear what you all think of these! There are other recordings of Svetlanov's music I would love to discuss, as there seems to be more music that just isn't available to listen (or at least is really hard to find).

Best,
Theodore

tuatara442442

file:///Users/ seems to be the link for your own computer...

Theodore S.

Tapiola

Quote from: Theodore S. on Wednesday 10 January 2024, 15:33(P.S. - for some reason, clinking the hyperlinks of the recordings doesn't seem to work, I don't know why.)

You need to allow others to download it, you can do it by sharing it on the options when clicking right button on the file.

Theodore S.

Quote from: Tapiola on Wednesday 10 January 2024, 20:17
Quote from: Theodore S. on Wednesday 10 January 2024, 15:33(P.S. - for some reason, clinking the hyperlinks of the recordings doesn't seem to work, I don't know why.)

You need to allow others to download it, you can do it by sharing it on the options when clicking right button on the file.

I spoke to the administrator, Mark Thomas, about the recordings before posting them, and we agreed it would be better (at least for this channel) that these would be non-downloadable files, for potential copyright reasons. However, if the administrator/moderators think it would be alright to do so, I might post the downloadable versions in the "Downloads" channel.

Alan Howe

Commercial recordings aren't to be uploaded to any part of this website. Sorry! However, links to sites where they can be auditioned are permissible.

Tapiola

So, why did you say that the hyperlinks of the recordings doesn't seem to work? How can I listen to them then?

Also, I want to hear the Alexandrov's quartet. Thanks.

Theodore S.

Sorry, that was from before - I've made new links using Google Drive, and now the hyperlinks work.
Here is the Alexandrov post: https://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,9319.0.html.

Tapiola

Alan Howe

May I ask forum members not to pile up quote upon quote of previous posts? A simple reply is usually sufficient. Thank you!

tuatara442442

Sorry, but when I clicked both Svetlanov downloads and the alexandrov download the access was denied :'(

tuatara442442

Have downloaded all three. Thank you.

ps. I searched this LP on Discog, and the violist of the quartet was Shebalin's son. Interesting.

tuatara442442

Theo, you seem to know quite deep about discography of Svetlanov's own composition. Do you know which LP Novosibirsk Wind Quintet's Recording of his Wind Quintet is on? The one Bartje Bartmans just uploaded?

And his official website lists a concert variations for guslis duo and traditional russian instruments orchestra as recorded by "T. Gorodovskaya, N. Chekanova, Ossipov Academic Russian Folk Orchestra, V. Dubrovsky", and a violin sonata (not one of the two sonatinas, is that a mistake?) recorded by himself and Eduard Grach. Do you know what LP are they referring to?

Finally, do you have his Romantic Ballad for Orchestra?