A Myaskovsky Clarinet Concerto?

Started by tuatara442442, Monday 15 January 2024, 06:10

Previous topic - Next topic

tuatara442442

There's a recording of a concerto for clarinet and strings conducted by Vladimir Ponkin attrubited to Myaskovsky that is issued in multiple digital albums and compilations. But there's no information about it other than the work is not in Myaskovsky's work list. So, what is the real composer of that piece of music?
Also, on ASV's recording of his string orchestra music conducted by Roland Melia there's a miniature called Napeve, and Boris Lvov had recorded a piano miniature called Little Birds attributed to him. Of these I can't find any information. Are they from his sketch book, Flofion?

Christopher

Interesting.  Re the clarinet concerto, the soloist seems only to be listed as "Moove T."...or am I misreading that? I can't find any further information.

tuatara442442

There's a release that mentions the soloist as Vladimir Sokolov, while the nonsensical "MOOVE T" is absent. Other digital re-releases (or reposts at best) mindlessly copied these meaningless  words

tuatara442442

And I can't find a disc where Ponkin and Vlad Sokolov collaborate on discog

Christopher

Quote from: tuatara442442 on Monday 15 January 2024, 11:09There's a release that mentions the soloist as Vladimir Sokolov, while the nonsensical "MOOVE T" is absent. Other digital re-releases (or reposts at best) mindlessly copied these meaningless  words

Interesting:  the Russian version of Apple Music mentions Sokolov, Ponkin and Miaskovsky in the context of a clarinet concerto... (their names spelt differently as you will see) -

https://music.apple.com/ru/song/concerto-for-clarinet-and-string-orchestra-i-allegro/1039512717

https://music.apple.com/ru/song/concerto-for-clarinet-and-string-orchestra-ii-adagio/1039513480

https://music.apple.com/ru/song/concerto-for-clarinet-and-string-orchestra-iii-rondo/1039513482

eschiss1

Ages ago someone told me what work by Myaskovsky "Little Bird(s)" was, but I've lost that email.
While it's Collected and not Complete, anyone have access to the Collected Works edition published in some volumes and held by some libraries? Napeve might be an arrangement of a work in some volume (maybe a piano work or a vocal work?) in that collection.

The CD also contains a theme and variations for strings that I'm guessing is a string orchestra arrangement of the finale of the composer's 3rd string quartet, but not having heard the CD or read its notes ...yet... I'm just guessing here :) ) I've seen the concerto disc and have no idea; I should see about maybe streaming it and identifying its themes- maybe it's an arrangement by someone or other of music (an existing work, or movements from existing works as per Mozart's earliest piano concertos being arrangements of solo sonata movements by others or one other (depending), etc., or just themes) by the composer into clarinet concerto format.

eschiss1

The opening bars of the clarinet concerto don't sound much like Myaskovsky, but on another hand an idea I had of comparing them to various clarinet concertos and concertinos with string accompaniment didn't turn up anything (just yet). The most obvious contemporary (Mieczyslaw Weinberg, who wrote two clarinet works with string accompaniment that I'm aware of) is a no, I think, since both of them (Opp.104 and 153) sound very different from this piece.

Alan Howe

Is there another composer with the same surname...?

eschiss1

tuatara442442

Quote from: eschiss1 on Monday 15 January 2024, 16:56The CD also contains a theme and variations for strings that I'm guessing is a string orchestra arrangement of the finale of the composer's 3rd string quartet, but not having heard the CD or read its notes ...yet... I'm just guessing here :) )
I'm sure that the Theme & Variations is a string quartet arrangement.

John Boyer

Perhaps this mystery concerto was written by Hans Franke?

tuatara442442

I'm sure the style is too advanced for him to stomach  ;D
By the way, the Hans Franke scandal makes me think a series of concert programs consists of spurious works (intentional or not) is an interesting idea. And considering the Franke case, the comparative performance of an original works and a falsely claimed work with movements and keys changed could achieve a more comedic effect.

tuatara442442

Quote from: eschiss1 on Monday 15 January 2024, 17:22The most obvious contemporary (Mieczyslaw Weinberg, who wrote two clarinet works with string accompaniment that I'm aware of) is a no, I think, since both of them (Opp.104 and 153) sound very different from this piece.
So, in line with this pattern of research, I will try my hand on every possible clarinet and strings piece listed on Onno van Rijen's compilation of Soviet composer work lists. A skim of Wikipedia's Clarinet Concerto page (in English and Russian) provides few possible candidates

tuatara442442

I didn't get a hit filtering through the lists...

Christopher

Maybe ask Point Classics what they know?  (Low chances probably but still... - https://www.pointclassics.com/)