Moszkowski: Symphony in D minor

Started by 4candles, Tuesday 23 January 2024, 13:13

Previous topic - Next topic

4candles

Referring back to this topic thread, several members will be pleased to learn of this work's forthcoming release - the feature item on Volume Four of Toccata Classics's ongoing 'Orchestral Works' series.

MORITZ MOSZKOWSKI: ORCHESTRAL MUSIC, VOLUME FOUR
Symphony in D minor (1873)
Laurin: four episodes from the ballet

Sinfonia Varsovia
Ian Hobson

First recordings

Best wishes to all.
4c

Mark Thomas

Thanks for letting us know. It's good news.

tuatara442442

Great. I tried several times but never survived that midi rendition. That just sounds too lightweight. With a real recording I can have a real impression on this work.

Jonathan

Alan Howe

As has been said, it's worth checking out this previous thread on the Symphony:
https://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,3132.0.html

In the meantime, here's the computer rendition to be going on with:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR65lHPvzE8

Alan Howe

This splendid release, together with Toccata's continuing promotion of Ferdinand Thieriot, gives us cause to hope that the latter's symphonies might now be considered candidates for recording.

Ilja

I've been waiting for this for a long time. And yes, I survived the NotePerformer (not MIDI, not sorry for the nitpick) rendition and actually liked it enough to be really excited for this release. Hobson falls into the "safe hands" category as far as I'm concerned, although sometimes I wish he'd give in a bit more to romantic excess in repertory such as this..

Alan Howe

I'm not yet convinced about the work - yet, much as I applaud the ambition here (and I genuinely do). I have yet to hear a major work by the composer that I've thought to be really significant musically or historically. However, I admit that being highly entertaining is enough and I'm hoping that the recording will change my mind.

tuatara442442

Quote from: Ilja on Tuesday 23 January 2024, 20:12And yes, I survived the NotePerformer (not MIDI, not sorry for the nitpick) rendition and actually liked it enough to be really excited for this release.
I didn't know not all virtual sound libraries can be called midi :-\

eschiss1

midi- musical instrument digital interface- I think may refer to a very specific kind of thing.

Looking forward to the recording too. Glad both this and his first concerto will now have been recorded, if only once each.

Mark Thomas

Quote from: Alan Howe on Tuesday 23 January 2024, 22:15I have yet to hear a major work by the composer that I've thought to be really significant musically or historically.
Alan's spot on here but, whilst I don't look to Moszkowski for profundity or daring, I do find evidence of plenty of craft and get a lot of simple enjoyment from his music.

Alan Howe

I suppose I'm saying that I expect a lot from a symphony. On the other hand, there's Bizet's Symphony in C which is a masterpiece of its kind - hardly profound, but profoundly satisfying in its own way. However, this is in D minor and the competition's pretty hot (and earnest) in that key...

Gareth Vaughan

J.B. Priestley took great delight in Moszkowski's music, as he made clear in an essay.

Alan Howe

Oh, I certainly take delight in his compositions too. So perhaps I'm asking too much. But am I really wrong in thinking that a Symphony in D minor is not to be taken merely de-lightly...? ;)

Elgar4Ever

4candles,thanks for the heads up. I like Moszkowski's Concertos and solo piano music, so this will be a treat.😊