Rheinberger Overture 'Demetrius', Op.110

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 12 March 2024, 18:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

terry martyn

I have it! And, somehow, it's not been plagiarised !

Alan Howe

John Boyer

I had hoped to publish it as my "...And the Gladiators" Overture, Op. 837, but now the cat is out of the bag. 

Somehow I missed this when it first came out (I have the Wallenstein/Sieben Raben disc), but it's now on order. 

Alan Howe

Quote from: John Boyer on Wednesday 13 March 2024, 13:42I had hoped to publish it as my "...And the Gladiators" Overture, Op. 837, but now the cat is out of the bag.

I would have let you have the address of a man who could help, but he's been six feet under since 1971  ;)

John Boyer

So, what do you find appealing about it?  Hopefully I'll find out for myself soon. The only other overture I know is "Die Sieben Raben", which I like very much. 

Alan Howe

I like the way he contrasts more lyrical writing with, for example, the storm he whips up a few minutes in and at the close. Just as you think that this is music 'without teeth', he proves us wrong. He also has a few good tunes.

John Boyer

Demetrius arrived and I agree with your assessment, which sums it up well.  My only quibble was his excessive use of cymbals and bass drum.  It reminded me too much of Italian opera overtures -- Berlioz's criticism of this practice comes to mind. If you must include them, save them for a few key whacks, like Barber does in "The School for Scandal". 

Alan Howe

Glad you like it, John. I think his two symphonies (Wallenstein; Florentiner) are fine pieces, each with memorable material. They're a bit like Bruch with added piquancy. Something do with being from exotic-sounding Vaduz in Liechtenstein, maybe?

John Boyer

I will revisit the symphonies soon.  Though we are straying off topic, this thread has revived my interest in Mr R.  Last night I listened to the Horn Sonata and the String Quintet, and browsing the record shelf reminded me of all his fine choral music.  Do you know his mass for eight-part chorus, or his setting of Psalm 84?  Great stuff. 

Alan Howe

No, I've never delved far into his choral music - thanks for the recommendation.

John Boyer

You'll enjoy them, I think.  I'm referring to the Mass in E-flat (Cantus Missae), Op. 109, and "Wie lieblich sind deine Wohnungen", Op. 35.

Now, off to Demetrius again.
---

Addendum: and, having listened to it three times this morning, I now like it as is: bass drum, cymbals, descending chromatic scales, and all.  Well done, Joe!

eschiss1

I like the quintets, 3rd piano trio (apparently once very often played) and violin sonatas especially myself. Thanks for the recommendation!

(And his once-popular piano quartet - I have the Thorofon version- appeals too :) )

John Boyer

Is there an online score available? I did not see one at IMSLP. 

Alan Howe