Jakab Gyula Major Concert Symphonique (1888?)

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 29 March 2024, 20:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Our friend Darrel Hoffman has posted his MIDI realisation of this work here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fma4mGkFT_s
This is a good opportunity to get an idea of the music, for which we must be grateful. However, I personally find it trying to listen to and wish that a better realisation could have been made with a more sophisticated computer program.

Reverie

Well done to him for making the effort!

However, it's more than "trying" to listen to isn't it.

If he used Musescore (which I suspect he did) there are far better "sound fonts" available than the bog standard issue that come with the editing software.

If I can find them I will put a link.

Alan Howe

Thanks, that's very helpful. You're the expert, after all!

Gareth Vaughan

If you can get through it, the realisation shows what a fine and beautiful work this could be and, IMHO (one I have long held), deserving of a good professional recording with a real orchestra and soloist. We must be grateful for Mr Hoffman's efforts in producing this realisation, but the primitive sound fonts make it, as Alan says, a rather "trying" listen.

Alan Howe

I'm afraid it's tried my patience beyond endurance. It's good to hear that Gareth thinks it's worth taking further, though.

Gareth Vaughan

I sympathise, Alan. I nearly gave up altogether. Some of the sounds are unbelievable - there's a trill on the bassoon at one point which sounds like someone beating a tom-tom with a toothbrush! And the flutes resemble a harmonium stop - and that's being kind. I hope it doesn't put people off.

Alan Howe

It sounds like a cross between a barrel-organ and a squeezebox. Truly awful.

semloh

Quote from: Alan Howe on Monday 08 April 2024, 20:42It sounds like a cross between a barrel-organ and a squeezebox. Truly awful.

That is unfair to barrel-organs and accordions!  ;D

Gareth Vaughan

But the piece itself is worthy, and I think Major is a truly undeservedly unsung composer.

Alan Howe

semloh

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Monday 08 April 2024, 22:27.... I think Major is a truly undeservedly unsung composer.

What evidence do we have to support that view, Gareth?

Gareth Vaughan

That is my opinion, based on the scores of his which I have managed to see so far. The Hungarian State Library digitised the ms. 2nd piano concerto for me, I have a photocopy of the printed Piano Sonata, and I have seen the scores at the BL (the Symphonie hongroise, Op. 17; Serenade for strings, Op. 24 and Cello  concerto, Op. 44).

Alan Howe

...and I for one trust your judgment, Gareth. I think there's an important gap in Hungarian musical history, i.e. between the generation of Liszt and that of Dohnanyi. We've already (partially) redicovered Beliczay and Moor is a work in progress, but I think that Major and Mihalovich are two worthy composers that have fallen through the musicological net.

Perhaps there are others whom I've forgotten...

Reverie

As regards Mihalovich I don't think there is much to take in. The orchestral works are poor immitations of Listz as far as I can see after a bit of research. (And Liszt's orchestral stuff is poor to start with) Sorry!

Major might be a diferent case as he belongs to a different era of course. I have his Symphonie Hongroise (No2) op17 (1898) from the BL and it looks promising. We will see.

Alan Howe

I have one CD of Mihalovich's songs, which I rather like. There are also four symphonies; no.1 is at IMSLP - these are what interest me. However, Major may well be the more attractive proposition, I agree.