New York City Opera's The Elixir of Love

Started by dharmon, Friday 25 February 2011, 18:52

Previous topic - Next topic

dharmon

Donizetti's
THE ELIXIR OF LOVE

MARCH 22 - APRIL 9

"An irresistible opera: silly and sweet and bubbling over with whistle-able tunes."             
-The New York Times

Donizetti's beloved classic is reimagined with American swagger in Jonathan Miller's inventive production, which moves the action to the 1950s Southwest to tell the tale of a shy young man who buys a love potion from a traveling salesman in an effort to cure his broken heart.

This heart-warming comedy features exciting young voices performing some of the most recognizable melodies in opera including the popular bel canto aria "Una furtive lagrima." Soprano Stefania Dovhan, who earned rave reviews for her portrayal of Donna Anna in last season's Don Giovanni, returns as the heart's desire of the underdog suitor, sung by rising Mexican tenor David Lomeli in his City Opera debut. 

PERFORMANCES                                                                                                                  
Tuesday, March 22, 2011 at 7:30pm
Thursday, March 24, 2011 at 8pm
Saturday, March 26, 2011 at 1:30pm
Friday, April 1, 2011 at 8pm
Sunday, April 3, 2011 at 1:30pm
Tuesday, April 5, 2011 at 7:30pm
Saturday, April 9, 2011 at 8pm
Running time: 2 hours, 20 minutes with 1 intermission
Performed in Italian with English supertitles

TICKETS START AT $12: $12, 25, 40, 60, 75, 100, 125, 140

Behind-the-scenes video, podcasts, and more:

nycOpera.com

DAVID H. KOCH THEATER BOX OFFICE (63rd & Columbus)
Group rates: 212.870.5618 or groupsales@nycOpera.com

Mark Thomas

Advice please...

Spam (albeit well targeted) or something of interest?

petershott@btinternet.com

Hmmm. On reflection I think I'd vote 'spam'. Yes, well targeted. But then if the site became a general depository for advertisements for new productions of operas, forthcoming concerts and so forth then it would simply cease to be a site for unsung composers. I'd say the only exception would be announcements of events that have some special significance for the interests that bind the UC site together. Thus if, for example, Hans von Bulow was mysteriously resurrected and was to conduct a Raff opera then that's the kind of event that should permit an advertisement to appear on the site.

Ignore the frivolity. What I'm suggesting, maybe, is that 'announcements' of events relevant to UC could be permitted (or even welcomed), but not 'advertisements'. And the Donizetti item is clearly an example of the latter. (Besides the production boasts English supertitles and is thus not to be tolerated!)

Peter

Mark Thomas

I've split off the discussion about Meyerbeer's L'Africaine to a new topic.

To return to my question: does anybody apart from Peter have views one way or the other on this issue?

eschiss1

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Sunday 27 February 2011, 17:52
I've split off the discussion about Meyerbeer's L'Africaine to a new topic.

To return to my question: does anybody apart from Peter have views one way or the other on this issue?
about supertitles, or about whether or not this is spam? ;)

Mark Thomas

Super/surtitles cause me no problem and we don't need a UC policy on them  :D

I was asking for others' opinion on whether I should treat posts like this advertisement as spam. So far I have only Peter's.

JimL

If it's sung it's spam.  If it's unsung it gets the benefit of the doubt.

eschiss1

how about not sung nor unsung, but merely sprechstimme?
*runs for the door very quickly*

eschiss1

I'd probably go with the 'if they're repeated and obnoxious -and- commercial' they're spam - or something like that. a one-time announcement is different from a bot dropping ads everywhere it can find somewhere to create accounts and post about its wares, it's the inbetween cases that're hard to formulate policy about I don't doubt...

thalbergmad

In my opinion it is spam and it is made even worse because it was a first post and more than likely a last post. The person who posted this advert will not come back and will not add anything of value to this forum. He is not interested in us, what we stand for and is only interested in promoting a concert which possibly could benefit him. If it was posted by a member who has contributed to this forum, it would be acceptable to me.

Posts like these have infested other forums and whilst not wishing to burden the mods, my suggestion is that all first posts should have to be approved. This was done on Pianophilia and the forum is spam free.

Thal

PS: Concert Anouncement
      The Transcriptions of Leopold de Meyer
      9th April 2011: Location: My House
      Entry: 2 bottles of Guiness at the door
      7.30pm
      No Kids

Mark Thomas

Thanks Thal. I'm inclined to agree that it should be treated as spam. Incidentally, all first (and second, to be on the safe side) posts do indeed now have to be approved by the moderators before they appear. I brought that safeguard in last week (see my post here).