News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Quotes

Started by Mark Thomas, Wednesday 02 March 2011, 08:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

I've noticed an upsurge in quoting great chunks of previous posts when replying. Often the quote is from the post which immediately precedes the post in which it is inserted. There is seldom a need to quote a whole post and certainly not at all when it's right above. Quotes used judiciously can be very effective, focussing the reply, but in large amounts they're counter productive and just use up bandwidth.

Please be a responsible quoter!

petershott@btinternet.com

Gosh, Mark, you sound just like me when reading student essays and supervising final year dissertations in my previous post! At its worst the little blighters would produce a bleedin' great chunk of Kant or Hegel or whoever (often of the size of half a page or so - and of course computers make life easier because you no longer have to laboriously copy out the entire passage) followed by some pithy comment like 'This seems spot on right' or 'That's clearly the nub of the argument'. No matter how thick and furious were the slashings of the marker's red pen, they went on doing it. Clearly the habit persists later in life when the hair begins to grey and you become an old fuddy-duddy making postings on UC!

Apologies - nothing whatsoever to do with music, let alone unsung music. And especial apologies offered to all those still in possession of their hair.

Mark Thomas

... which brotherhood excludes me, sadly!

jerfilm

And be cautious about insulting old fuddy duddys that ramble - you have us among you...... 8)

Jerry

semloh

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Wednesday 02 March 2011, 08:05
Please be a responsible quoter!

I haven't got the hang of quotes yet .... I keep getting my own own comment 'inside' the quotation ... and want to try it again here to see if I've got it...

JimL

Just make sure you have your post outside the "close quote" ([/quote]).

semloh

Thanks JimL - it worked!