What symphony can you not live without?

Started by John H White, Tuesday 08 March 2011, 17:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

...that'd be Bizet's Symphony in C, then? Perhaps?

JimL

The same.  A work which the composer couldn't have known.

eschiss1

oh, I was just thinking of the "Singular" (symphony) connection. But, good point. (hence the reference to Beecham specifically of conductors.)

JimL

No, it's the Blodek.  The trio of the scherzo is particularly reminiscent (to me) of trios from the minuets of early Schubert symphonies.  The finale has some spots that recall the "chattering" finale of the Bizet.

Dundonnell

Quote from: BFerrell on Tuesday 08 November 2011, 16:40
Prokofiev 6th, Moeran 1st, Bax 6th, Sibelius 4 through 7, Klami 1st, Kokkonen 3 and 4, Shostakovich 4th, Walton 1st, Rubbra 6th, that's just off the top of my head.

I am delighted to see another fan of Kokkonen on here ;D ;D  (oh...and Rubbra OF COURSE :) :))

eschiss1

me too though I've only heard a few works of his (Kokkonen's).

Tartini

Hard to choose just one. But Ok. Sung: Bruckner 7  Unsung: Kalliwoda 6.  (For the Andante).

BFerrell

Even Kokkonen's 1st and 2nd Symphonies (after years of listening) now touch me deeply. Of course, "Last Temptations" is my favorite opera of all time!

malito

Asahi mentioned two I love and didn;t even know anyone esle did: Vermeulen 1st and Perpessa "Christus Symphony."  I am not alone!  Mal

febnyc

Beethoven Sixth
Braga Santos Fourth
Sibelius Fifth
Strauss Eine Alpensinfonie

vandermolen

Nice to see a plug for the early Bloch Symphony in C minor with its great valedictory ending and for Braga Santos Symphony No 4 too - a wonderful work in every sense.

For me:

Sung: Shostakovich Symphony 4, Bruckner Symphony 9, Vaughan Williams Symphony No 6 and the 1913 version of A London Symphony + Walton Symphony 1.

Unsung: Tubin Symphony 2 'Legendary', Lilburn Symphony 1, Miaskovsky Symphonies 6 and 15, Bax Symphony 3 and 5, Stanley Bate symphonies 3 and 4, Richard Arnell symphonies 3 and 5, Moeran's Symphony, Rubbra No 5, Eshpai No 5, Kinsella No 3, Lyatoshinsky No 3, Ivanovs No 11, Diamond No 3, Hanson No 3 and 4.

semloh

Quote from: vandermolen on Saturday 14 January 2012, 23:33
Unsung: Tubin Symphony 2 'Legendary', Lilburn Symphony 1, Miaskovsky Symphonies 6 and 15, Bax Symphony 3 and 5, Stanley Bate symphonies 3 and 4, Richard Arnell symphonies 3 and 5, Moeran's Symphony, Rubbra No 5, Eshpai No 5, Kinsella No 3, Lyatoshinsky No 3, Ivanovs No 11, Diamond No 3, Hanson No 3 and 4.

Ah, interesting to see a Lilburn symphony named in this context .... unusual, I think. 

Anyone else prize the Lilburn symphonies?

BFerrell

I prize all of Lilburn's work. Except the electronic stuff.  His music is so fresh and invigorating to me. If I feel really down aLilburn piece will always lift me up.

Christo

Sung: Vaughan Williams 3 5 6 8 9, Nielsen 3 4 5 6, Shosta 6 8 10, Bliss Colour, Rubbra 10, Martinů 5 6, Mahler 6 7, Bruckner 9, Tchaikovsky 6, Dvořák 1 9

Unsung: Tubin 4 6 8, Raid 1, Vasks 2, Holmboe 5  6 7  8  9 10, Brian 1 6 7 8 10 16, Berkeley 1 2, Cooke 1 3 5, Bate 3 4, Arnold 5 9, Simpson 9, Kinsella 3, Diamond 3, Barber 2, Still 1, Braga Santos 3 4, Guarnieri 2 3, Madetoja 3, Englund 4, Langgaard 4, Orthel 2, Vermeulen 2, Lilburn 2 - and so many more.  ;)

Alan Howe

Before this thread becomes an opportunity for further list-making, may I gently nudge forum members back towards the whole point of it - i.e. what symphony (SINGULAR >:() can you not live without? Thanks!