Edward MacDowell(1860-1908): a Catalogue of the Orchestral Music

Started by Dundonnell, Saturday 14 April 2012, 22:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

EDWARD MACDOWELL: A CATALOGUE OF THE ORCHESTRAL MUSIC

1882:   Piano Concerto No.1 in A minor, op.15: 25 minutes  + (Millenium Classics, Centaur, Musical Concepts, Hyperion and Naxos cds)
1884:   "Hexentanz(Witches' Dance)" for Piano and Orchestra, op.17, No.2: 3 minutes    +  (Naxos cd)
             Tone Poem "Hamlet and Ophelia", op. 22: 13 minutes  + (Bridge, Danacord and Naxos cds)
             Piano Concerto No.2 in D minor, op.23: 26 minutes  +  (several recordings)
1886:   Tone Poem "Lancelot and Elaine", op. 25: 18 minutes   +  (Bridge cd)
1886-90:Two Fragments after "The Song of Rolland" for orchestra, op. 30: 10 minutes   +  (Bridge cd)
1888:   Tone Poem "Lamia", op.29: 17 minutes    +  (Bridge, EMI and Albany cds)
             Romance for Cello and Orchestra, op.35: 4 minutes   +  (Naxos cd)
1890-93:Suite No.1 in D minor for orchestra, op.42: 21 minutes  +  (Mercury, Albany, Bridge and Naxos cds)
1892:   Suite No.2 "The Indian" for orchestra, op.48: 36 minutes    + (Mercury, Vox, Albany, Bridge and Naxos cds)

JimL

I think the Hexentanz is for cello and orchestra.  And it's an arrangement of a cello/piano piece.

alberto

The First Piano Concerto exists also in a Double Cd Millennium Classics (Eugene List piano; unexpected conductor Carlos Chavez; unexpected coupling -besides other Mac Dowells- Chavez's Piano Concerto).

Jonathan

I always thought the Hxentanz was one of 2 Fantasiestucke and was for solo piano - I know Stephen Hough (on his piano encores album) has recorded it as well as James Barbagello (on Marco-Polo / Naxos)...

JimL

Quote from: alberto on Sunday 15 April 2012, 14:10
The First Piano Concerto exists also in a Double Cd Millennium Classics (Eugene List piano; unexpected conductor Carlos Chavez; unexpected coupling -besides other Mac Dowells- Chavez's Piano Concerto).
The List version of the two MacDowell concertos is a reissue of an old Westminster LP.  I guess the Chavez PC was added on to fill it out.

Dundonnell

Quote from: JimL on Sunday 15 April 2012, 02:28
I think the Hexentanz is for cello and orchestra.  And it's an arrangement of a cello/piano piece.

The Hexantanz was originally the second of two Fantasy Pieces for solo piano, op.17(1884). The op.17, No.2 version is definitely for piano and orchestra.

JimL

Sorry.  The cello and orchestra piece on my CD was the Romance.