News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Louis Maas (1852-1889)

Started by edurban, Thursday 23 February 2012, 03:24

Previous topic - Next topic

edurban

Somewhere in the wilds of my apartment are 10 or so xeroxed pages of the c minor piano concerto by this Weisbaden-born, Boston-based, Liszt pupil (also said to have studied 6 months with Raff).  The copy is of the published 2 piano score (1886?) in the Library of Congress.  I remember it as an rather advanced piece in the heroic manner.  I wonder if anyone knows if the full score survives.

Maas also wrote a fair bit of chamber music, but perhaps his early death cast his mss to the winds.  Has anyone encountered anything else?

David

Gareth Vaughan

The MS score and parts of Maas' PC are in the Fleisher Collection. I wonder if Mike Spring knows about it.

edurban

That's great news, Gareth.  Perhaps you could mention it to him?

Does anyone know the whereabouts of the rest of Maas' mss? :)

David

Gareth Vaughan

I've just noticed that BL has a printed score + parts of the PC. Also a score of his 1st String Quartet and a handful of solo piano pieces and a few for piano 4 hands. That's all, though.

Would you be able to scan your 2-piano score, Edurban? Mike is likely to be much more interested if we can give him something to get his teeth into.

On another issue, I'd love to find the piano concertos of Lionel Barrymore. Does anyone have any clues as to their whereabouts? There are supposed to be three. (If this generates a lot of heat, I'll start a new thread.)

thalbergmad

https://rapidshare.com/files/951996165/Maas_-_Concert_in_C_moll_f__r_Pianoforte_und_Or.pdf 

Here is the 2 piano score. Used to be on google books but seems to have vanished.

Good job I saved it.

Concertingly.

Thal

Gareth Vaughan

Thank you very much indeed, sir.

jerfilm

I have a cassette recording of Lionel Barrymore's First Piano Concerto back in Minnesota that I can digitize and upload when I get home in April.....

Jerry

Gareth Vaughan

Jerry - that would be very wonderful indeed. Thank you. I wonder where the scores are - if, indeed, they still exist. Do you know the date of your recorded performance?

Gareth Vaughan

Mike knows of the Maas PC, by the way - has done for many years - and the work is under consideration for possible inclusion in the RPC series at a future date.

thalbergmad

The first movement of the Barrymore is on you tube.

I had converted this to an MP3 a while ago, so I will shortly upload to the American Thread.

Concertingly.

Thal

RTove

The Boston Symphony Orchestra performed the Maas Concerto for Pianoforte in C minor op. 12 on January 7, 1882, with Dr. Louis Maas as soloist.