d'Albert - coming in May - Naxos

Started by jasthill, Tuesday 25 February 2014, 12:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Yes, that release is on my radar too...

TerraEpon

So...what exactly are those two works, Cinderella and Little Mermaid? Certainly looks very potentially interesting though.

Gounod21

This is fab:)D'Albert's massive, thematically cyclic first piano concerto is one of those unknown pieces that is SO good!(and of course the Second Piano Concerto, a mad, ineffably tuneful romp, especially played as it, as uninhibitedly as it should be, in 17/18 minutes, by Maestro Ponti!)Steve

Alan Howe

Anyone know anything about the pieces on the new CD?

eschiss1

Cinderella (Aschenputtel), suite for orchestra, Op.33 from (or published in) 1924. Might be a suite from a larger work, for all I know, though.

"Op.15 - Seejungfräulein - Concert Scene for 1 Voice and Orchestra, Leipzig 1897".

Alan Howe

britishcomposer

I suppose most of you have the cpo recording of "Die Seejungfrau":
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/Eugene-d-Albert-1864-1932-Symphonie-op-4/hnum/9600247

I am currently uploading an old radio broadcast of the charming Aschenputtel Suite. Hope this will water your mouths! :)

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe

Yes, thanks! I'd forgotten about that CD!

jerfilm

TerraEpon

This is a random thought, but I wonder why this Cinderella is "Aschenputtel" where Johann Strauss's is "Aschenbrodel".

Thanks for the upload though....

jksteven

Thank you for sharing this enjoyable upload! :)

regriba

As far as I'm aware Aschenputtel and Aschenbrödel are two different names for the same fairy tale, and fairy tale character, the one that's called Cinderella in English. I think I've read somewhere that the brothers Grimm used the name Aschenputtel whereas Aschenbrödel was first used by the fairy tale writer Ludwig Bechstein some years later. And since then both names have been used more or less randomly.

Alan Howe

A very nice CD, by the way - full of gorgeous tunes and orchestration. Pity the recording's not quite out of the top drawer: it's all rather close and congested (at least over my headphones) when the music demands Chandos-like amplitude. A pity, but at bargain price who's complaining? And the orchestra make a good job of the music.