Unsung masterpieces by sung composers

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 20 November 2010, 17:57

Previous topic - Next topic

chill319

Much as I love Rimsky's operas, I think an even better candidate for this thread is Humperdinck: any of his several masterpieces _besides_ Hansel and Gretel.

dhibbard

What versions of Sibelius: Kullervo are your favorites?   I have several versions, but my favorite is Saraste's performance with the FRSO.

Gareth Vaughan

Alan Howe

Kevin

Alan Howe

Sorry, but we insist upon this at UC. A post that simply says 'I like this' is lazy and uninformative. 'I like this because...', on the other hand, is the basis for informed debate.

Kevin

I just hope we don't have another ''marvellous'' episode which I found very very silly.

Kevin

QuoteWhat versions of Sibelius: Kullervo are your favorites?   I have several versions, but my favorite is Saraste's performance with the FRSO.

I'm not a Kullervo expert by any stretch of the imagination but I've enjoyed this recording recently:
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7922271--sibelius-kullervo-op-7

Alan Howe

QuoteI just hope we don't have another ''marvellous'' episode which I found very very silly.

It really doesn't matter what adjective is used (providing it's not offensive) as long as what follows is a reasoned justification for its use.

And with that, back to the subject of the thread, please.

Alan Howe

QuoteI'm not a Kullervo expert by any stretch of the imagination but I've enjoyed this recording recently

Please tell us why.