British Music

Started by Pengelli, Monday 03 January 2011, 16:29

Previous topic - Next topic

gasman

Bax - Excellent - look forward to that. :P

NB Havergal-Brian: - I've just realised that I've got a recording (from LP) of Havergal-Brian's complete Piano Music recorded by Peter Hill, released originally on Cameo Classics GOCLP 9019 (1982) - if someone's able to confirm to me that the Cameo release is now deleted, I shall of course upload the Peter Hill recording.

I know that Raymond Clarke has released a version but t'would be nice for people to be able to compare versions - see link to interesting article: - http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/athene/brian.htm

Quote from: Dundonnell on Wednesday 23 November 2011, 14:51
I too shall be adding some Bax very soon-

Symphony No.7(Groves)
Violin Concerto(Hugh Bean)
Cello Concerto(Douglas Cummings)
"Winter Legends"(John McCabe)

albion

Quote from: gasman on Wednesday 23 November 2011, 15:05I've just realised that I've got a recording (from LP) of Havergal-Brian's complete Piano Music recorded by Peter Hill, released originally on Cameo Classics GOCLP 9019 (1982) - if someone's able to confirm to me that the Cameo release is now deleted, I shall of course upload the Peter Hill recording.

The Cameo recording is still available -

http://www.cameo-classics.com/home.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=77&category_id=86

:)

gasman

Well..... at least it saves me a job!  :o

Quote from: Albion on Wednesday 23 November 2011, 16:40
Quote from: gasman on Wednesday 23 November 2011, 15:05I've just realised that I've got a recording (from LP) of Havergal-Brian's complete Piano Music recorded by Peter Hill, released originally on Cameo Classics GOCLP 9019 (1982) - if someone's able to confirm to me that the Cameo release is now deleted, I shall of course upload the Peter Hill recording.

The Cameo recording is still available -

http://www.cameo-classics.com/home.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=77&category_id=86

albion

Some more Scottish items have been sent by patmos.beje -

Alexander Mackenzie (1847-1935) - Violin Concerto in C# minor, Op.32 (1884-85)
Learmont Drysdale (1866-1909) - Overture, Tam O'Shanter (1890) - excerpt

- the soloist in the Mackenzie is Mi-Kyung Lee, and the Drysdale (though unfortunately only an extract as broadcast) gives a flavour of this composer.

Many thanks.

albion

The following files have been contributed by gasman -

Arnold Bax (1883-1953) - Summer Music (1917, rev. 1932); Romantic Overture (1926); Morning Song, Maytime in Sussex (1946) - all specially recorded when Bax was Radio 3's Composer of the Week in February 2001.

Many thanks for these.

There is another Bax item in the downloads thread, Three Pieces for Small Orchestra: these files have a degree of digital damage and have not been added to the archive yet.

albion

Two more Mathias works, the first from britishcomposer, the second from Holger -

William Mathias (1934-1992) - Clarinet Concerto, Op.68 (1975); World's Fire (1989)

Many thanks.

albion

Another Scottish item from patmos.beje -

John Blackwood McEwen (1868-1948) - Suite No.3 in G for Strings (1935)

There is some distortion on this recording, but nothing to deter the intrepid listener.

Many thanks.

jerfilm

Are there any recordings of McEwen's Symphonies other than #5 which has been around for a long time?  That seems to me a major gap in your British music collection.

Jerry

albion

Quote from: jerfilm on Wednesday 23 November 2011, 18:37Are there any recordings of McEwen's Symphonies other than #5 which has been around for a long time?  That seems to me a major gap in your British music collection.

It's a gap in any collection, but as far as I'm aware none of the earlier symphonies (including the A minor, 1892-98) has been recorded or broadcast.

:(

Alasdair Mitchell edited the A minor Symphony (along with several other works, mostly the ones he recorded for Chandos) as part of his PhD thesis in 2002.

albion

Another file from patmos.beje -

Alexander Mackenzie (1847-1935) - Suite, London Day by Day, Op.64 - No.3, Song of Thanksgiving (1902)

Another excellent addition to the Mackenzie files - many thanks.

Dundonnell

Quote from: Albion on Wednesday 23 November 2011, 18:43
Quote from: jerfilm on Wednesday 23 November 2011, 18:37Are there any recordings of McEwen's Symphonies other than #5 which has been around for a long time?  That seems to me a major gap in your British music collection.

It's a gap in any collection, but as far as I'm aware none of the earlier symphonies (including the A minor, 1892-98) has been recorded or broadcast.

:(

Alasdair Mitchell edited the A minor Symphony (along with several other works, mostly the ones he recorded for Chandos) as part of his PhD thesis in 2002.

Alasdair is another old school friend of mine ;D

Dundonnell

Quote from: Albion on Wednesday 23 November 2011, 19:06

Alexander Mackenzie (1847-1935) - Suite, London Day by Day, Op.64 - No.3, Song of Thanksgiving (1902)

Is this the complete work or an extract from it?

albion

Quote from: Dundonnell on Wednesday 23 November 2011, 20:34
Quote from: Albion on Wednesday 23 November 2011, 19:06

Is this the complete work or an extract from it?

I've checked with my piano score of the Suite and it is an extract from letter F to the end.

albion

More excellent material from Dundonnell -

William Alwyn (1905-1985) - Concerto for Oboe, Harp and Strings (1943-45); Concerto Grosso No.3 (1964)
Benjamin Frankel (1906-1973) - Violin Concerto, To the Six Million, Op.24 (1951); Symphony No.5, Op.46 (1967)
Kenneth Leighton (1929-1988) - Symphony No.1, Op.42 (1964); Concerto for Organ, Strings and Timpani, Op.58 (1970)

the two Alwyn items were part of a 75th birthday concert conducted by the composer.

Many thanks, Colin.

albion

I have been working on two important broadcasts from the 1980s, donated by patmos.beje -

Arthur Sullivan (1842-1900) - The Golden Legend (1886)
Lennox Berkeley (1903-1989) - Nelson, Op.41 (1949-54)

Many thanks, Peter

The first is the 1986 centenary revival of The Golden Legend at Leeds Town Hall, conducted by Charles Mackerras: this cantata was the triumph of the 1886 Leeds Festival (which also saw the premieres of Stanford's The Revenge, Mackenzie's The Story of Sayid and Dvorak's St Ludmilla). Unfortunately my cassette recording made at the time of the broadcast deteriorated shortly thereafter, so it is great to make the acquaintance once more of this vivid performance of a splendid piece. I have split and merged some of the files to present the work as Prologue, six separate scenes and Epilogue.

Berkeley's three-act opera Nelson was written between 1949 and 1954 (despite the announcer giving a completion date of 1953). After a rather muted reception at Sadler's Wells in 1954 (probably suffering by comparison with Britten's Billy Budd), and only nine performances, Berkeley wrote in 1965 that I should now want to rewrite so much of it if it were to be revived. I do think it has good things in it, but I'm not satisfied with it as a whole. He only revised Act 2 of the opera (for a BBC broadcast) and this 1983 performance was the first full revival since the original production: it is a vivid work and I have merged the files to present each act uninterrupted.