Russian & Soviet Music

Started by Mark Thomas, Friday 17 June 2011, 03:21

Previous topic - Next topic

minacciosa

Has anyone encountered anything of Varvera Gaigerova or Valery Zhelobinsky?

eschiss1

About the Golubev 9th quartet I uploaded my MIDIs/MP3s of awhile back-
I just found the score (along with several others!- in this case, a gift from a friend my meeting with whom is a bit of a story)- I mislaid awhile back (and in trying to find wrecked half my .. .never mind... anyhow...)
The movement indications for such as might be interested are
String Quartet no.9 (D minor - ish, Op.58. 1970s?)
I. Allegro risoluto (quarter=80 [84]).
II.  Adagio (quarter=46) (this is the movement whose Pietoso central section may sound familiar if you've heard his 7th symphony.)
III. Allegro energico [1/4. 1/4 1/4.] (quarter=120 (116)) (more or less 8/8 time divided into 3+2+3 8ths)

semloh

Holger - thank you for the Vasilenko - a couple of those pieces are new to me and very welcome indeed!  :)

gpdlt2010

Thanks to Holger for the Vasilenko "festival".
If I recall correctly, Monitor Records once released his Suite for Balalaika, coupled with the Concerto for Accordion by Nikolai Chaikin and a Concerto for Balalaika whose composer escapes my memory. Any chance of re-listening to those three works?

lechner1110

I also many thanks, Holgar!
  The sound quality of Piano concerto is very good than my one.
  I like this concerto very much. Especially I love second movement.  It sounds like "A rest in Central Asia", my ear. Very beautiful and romantic movement. :)

Latvian

If I recall correctly, Monitor Records once released his Suite for Balalaika, coupled with the Concerto for Accordion by Nikolai Chaikin and a Concerto for Balalaika whose composer escapes my memory. Any chance of re-listening to those three works?

Actually, the disc you're referring to was on Westminster (although there was a similar Monitor LP, so the mistaken identity is understandable). I have the Westminster and can digitize and upload it if there is sufficient interest.

gpdlt2010

Latvian, if you can digitize the Chaikin/Vasilenko/?? Westminster LP I'll be greatly obliged!

Holger

Thanks for the feedback on my Vasilenko uploads. I also like this composer's pieces very much in general, it's attractive and colourful music clearly in Russian tradition. Vasilenko was much interested in folk music from the Soviet periphery, which is of course reflected in his "Soviet East" Suite, but it also corresponds to what Atsushi said about the middle movement of his Piano Concerto. There are numerous pieces by him referring to Central Asia. However, he also composed an "Arctic Symphony" (his Fourth) – a pity there is no recording available!

eschiss1

Listened finally to the Klebanov 3rd symphony.  Very pleased and impressed with almost all of the work to the point where any gripes would be gripes. :D (I forget, does anyone have movement listings for that one?)

malito

Echiss:  I have the tempo markings for the Klebaov 3rd.  I Allegro (12:03) II Lento.  tempo rubato (11:44) III Allegro scherzando (8:06) anjd IV Maestoso. Allegro (9:18).  Hope this does the trick.  Malito

eschiss1

Thanks much!! (The opening Allegro is 11:46 over here though- oddly? then 11:26 - 7:53 - 9:01 . I wonder if I did something wrong on my end of things...

Holger

Quote from: eschiss1 on Tuesday 27 March 2012, 06:26
Thanks much!! (The opening Allegro is 11:46 over here though- oddly?)

This is nothing ununsual and there are basically two explanations: first, the timings given on LP sleeves are not always as correct as they seem to be (look at some LPs which have been reissued on CD: there is almost always a difference). Even more important, the pace of the turntable is regulated manually, and this leaves much room for deviations. Somestimes, a little move of the regulator can mean one semi-tone of difference!

eschiss1

Galynin- is the 1st concerto the concerto in C major in the 1962 recording available for awhile on this CD - here ?

eschiss1

semi-tone- yes, or a whole-tone- the E-flat minor Wellesz 2 comes out at C-sharp minor, almost, in the tape I have.

Ilja

Quote from: eschiss1 on Sunday 15 April 2012, 19:21
Galynin- is the 1st concerto the concerto in C major in the 1962 recording available for awhile on this CD - here ?
It does look like the same recording, although I'm doubtful whether it is commercially available. Will check, and thanks for the sharp eye.

Edit: it is available, so I've removed the post.