Bulgarian symphonists thread

Started by eschiss1, Wednesday 27 July 2011, 10:20

Previous topic - Next topic

semloh

jowcol - sincere thanks for the 'missing' 2nd symphony of Pipkov. I like these very much - never a dull moment!  :)

jowcol

I'll pass your note onto Karl-- I'm sure he'll be happy to see it.

britishcomposer

Quote from: Bill Hayden on Saturday 26 May 2012, 23:12
Downloading Sagaev's 6 has been stopped by antivirus,it gives report malicious link

I had the same experience. This time it wasn't a fake!  ;)

Sicmu

I downloaded my file and checked it with two up to date kinds of antivirus :  everything is OK.

eschiss1

At a guess, a number of the antivirus errors (but not all- it's worth checking) thrown by these files are because the programs creating them create the data but don't really do the whole job properly (don't give the file the right "MIME type", or any at all, or what have you. It's not a subject on which I could be considered an expert- or anything like it. But such mismatches look suspect to an antivirus program for good reason, as when a .jpg file that claims to be an image file is actually an executable waiting to be run when it downloads- deliberate mismatch. In some cases that I think I've found uploaded to IMSLP (for example, and the basis of my little recent experience) it's accidental, but Chrome gets queasy anyway.  Fortunately only a few viruses affect my Mac, and for those I know of I'd have to be -very- foolish and actually participate in the process, entering admin mode - rather as with phishing, giving the virus my password, etc. ... )

jowcol

Georgi Arnaudov, Symphony No. 2 (1984)

Bulgarian Radio and TV Orchestra
Kazandzheiv(?), conductor
Radio broadcast, Date Unknown

From the Collection of Karl Miller

A very interesting work-- he has some of the more "spiritual" modernist/minimalist elements in his work , but this is definitely not an Avante-garde freakout.

The list of influences is intriguing--  I'm not sure if I've seen Varese, Scriabin, Part, Webern and Feldmen in the same sentence before. 

Gheorghi Arnaoudov
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gheorghi Arnaoudov
Gheorghi Arnaoudov [ɡɛˈorɡi ar̩ŋaˈudov] (Bulgarian: Георги Арнаудов) (born 1957) is a Bulgarian composer of stage, orchestral, chamber, film, vocal, and piano music. Representative of the 21st century classical music, with roots in minimalism.

Life
Gheorghi Arnaoudov graduated in composition with Alexander Tanev and contemporary music with Bojidar Spassov from the State Academy of Music Pancho Vladigerov. At the same time, he attended summer courses working with Brian Ferneyhough Ton de Leeuw. His artistic career started in the early 1980s. At the same time, he did research work in the fields of electronic music, music theory and musique concrète, as well as ancient far-Eastern and ancient Greek music. He has won many international and national awards, including the Grand Prix of the European Broadcasting Union (1985), the Golden Harp Prize from Jeunesses Musicales (1985), the Special Prize of the Union of Bulgarian Composers (1986), and the Carl Maria von Weber International Prize for Music (1989). He is the author of scientific and theoretical articles in music, as well as of reviews in musical and scientific periodicals, mainly in the spheres of the aesthetics of modernism and postmodernism, communications in the music, the contemporary arts, musical semiotics, and the theory of contemporary music. In 2000 Gega New released a CD with Arnaoudov's music called "Thyepoleo. Orphic Mysterial Rites".[1] The texts used by the composer are the original preserved Orphic hymns. For this project he consulted renown Thracologist Alexander Fol, who wrote the programme notes. In 2008 he presented To date Arnaoudov has produced numerous symphonies, oratorios, concertos and has won several international prizes. He currently teaches in the "Theatre" and "Music" departments of New Bulgarian University. In 2009 he was appointed associate professor in Composition and Harmony.

The antecedents of his music can be found in Russian Scriabin, the French mystic/modernist Messiaen, the Franco-American Varèse and, more recently, in the work of the Pole Penderecki and Estonian Arvo Pärt. The influence of composers like Webern and Morton Feldman can perhaps also be felt in the lack of any kind of conventional process or development. This is a music of stasis, a kind of intense minimalism that tells no conventional stories but rather meditates on an idea.

In a series of works of Gheorghi Arnaoudov (born 1957) composer's vision is directed towards attaining a new aesthetic of pure music (Adorno), aestheticizing renaissance sound purity. By using various techniques (including also techniques legitimizing the language of Musical Avant-garde) and their substance rethinking is achieved a new music-sensuous semantic field.[2]