Bulgarian symphonists thread

Started by eschiss1, Wednesday 27 July 2011, 10:20

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

is the recording of the Vladigerov 2nd violin concerto that released on Balkanton with Dina Shnaĭderman as violinist and Alexander Vladigerov conducting?

fyrexia

i am sorry but the performers are unknown to me.

Tony

Christopher

Hi Fyrexia - I've just come across your thread - would it be possible to open these files for download once again?  I am curious to discover Bulgarian music!

eschiss1

surprisingly, the Pipkov 1st (of 4+?) symphony score may not have been published until 20 years after it was composed and 10 years after Iliev recorded it for Supraphon- odd. (Maybe even more surprisingly, his 4th symphony is available on CD. Looking for a movement list- even if just metronome marks- if the score has anything- for the first symphony :)  will see if I can turn anything up.)

eschiss1

still need to listen to the whole Vladigerov first symphony but what I heard sounds good. It also, however, doesn't sound at all "D minor" - it might be in D major, or F major (I don't lay claim to perfect pitch) but neither in the first movement or (I checked the last movement just to make sure I hadn't switched the order of the movements along the line and been listening to a triumphal finale by accident) ... - nothing especially "minor-mode-ish" about either at all. Clarification welcome?

Tartini

I think the 5th movement in the second symphony is missing. The whole symphony is about 45min.
Thanks anyway for upload. It is a great symphony.http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/Smileys/default/smiley.gif

eschiss1

re Raichev 2nd symphony- thanks for pointing that out... hrm. you're quite right. will see what i can do about that ...

eschiss1

Hrm. Will need to lock sym. 2- sorry!- as I am not sure atm (will try to find out) whether it is Stefanov (not on CD ) or Nachev or Raichev (yes, partially on / totally on CD). Raichev's own recording, coupled with symphony 6 "Liturgical", is available n the Bulgarian Radio Label according to CD Universe. Tracks from Milen Nachev's recording show up at Amazon. Apologies. Still know of no other recordings of symphonies 3, 4 besides Manolov, Kazandhiev from Balkanton reissued on Terpsichore LP.

Sorry, that was the wrong link-
here - Nachev and Stefanov recordings of symphonies 2 and 6, at Amazon, released last month.

eschiss1

sigh. still need to check the source of Rajchev's symphony 2 - sorry about delay- and no luck getting a copy of the finale. Fortunately it's commercially available in CD and mp3 at Amazon in Nachev's recording (of 2, coupled with Stefanov's of 6- ah, as I already noted- forgot, sorry...) unlike the others.

Tartini

Don't know how "correct" this site is. But here is a link to the whole symphony. You have to register before download. http://classical-music-online.net/en/production/22608 Anyway you can listening here.

kolaboy

Hi.

Has anyone ever come across the symphonies of Jules Levy? I know that his second was issued on Balkanton years ago - long out of print, of course...
The only orchestral work of his in my possession is his ballet suite "A Fair At Sophia".

Any and all wisdom appreciated ;)

eschiss1

I think I first heard of Jules Levy a few days ago - but there's a page about him here that seems to start with... 1930-2006, 4 symphonies, 1958/1970/1975/1984 (for winds) / also Zhul Levi or Жул Леви (Jules Levy turns up nothing post-1930 in Worldcat.org but Zhul or Cyrillic might...)

Yep, "Zhul Levi" turns up Vasil Stefanov's recording for Balkanton of the 2nd symphony in Worldcat... and the 3rd symphony turns up too. Searching by his Cyrillic? name turns up a book (held in one library only at present so far as Worldcat knows, National Library of Israel.)

semloh

Sicmu - thank you for the very impressive Yosifov symphony!
This is a new name to me, and it's a really powerful work which has kept my attention throughout.
:) :)

Sicmu

Glad you liked it, so I will upload his fifth soon.

fr8nks

I have a lot of works by Yossifov and will upload his Violin Concerto later today.