Bulgarian symphonists thread

Started by eschiss1, Wednesday 27 July 2011, 10:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Sicmu

Thx for the Violin Concerto : I also have a lot of music by the Yossifovs ( father and son) but didn't have that one. At first hearing it was surprising to notice that except for a few parallel fifths in the harmony, the music sounds much more american than bulgarian.
I will upload soon some works by Gubarenko that sometimes are also close to american music and especially Barber.
I should also mention a festive Overture by Kozlovsky that opens (and ends) in a pure Waltonian manner !

fr8nks

You are welcome. I have never heard anything by Alexander Yossifov that I didn't enjoy. I am looking forward to more works by Gubarenko.

lechner1110

I listened some works by A. Yossifov yesterday and today.  These are very interesting work written in good Balkan music tradition :)  I will listen again in this weekend. Thanks!

semloh

Quote from: A.S on Thursday 26 January 2012, 13:08

I listened some works by A. Yossifov yesterday and today.  These are very interesting work written in good Balkan music tradition :)  I will listen again in this weekend. Thanks!

They won't be to everyone's taste, but I'm really enjoying the Yossifov. That concerto is inventive and entertaining - and for me, that's a quite exceptional reaction to a modern chamber work!  ;D

Dundonnell

It seems to me that Pancho Vladigerov is by far the most impressive of the 20th century Bulgarian composers whose works have been uploaded for the members of this forum. Discussion of Vladigerov has been rather spread across a number of separate threads (as have the downloadable links ;D) but the First and Second Symphonies, the First and Second Piano Concertos and the Second Violin Concerto are certainly all available here.

I understand that there are five Piano Concertos in total and, although the later ones may not have quite the romantic freshness of the first two, the third at least is spoken of as a brilliant virtuoso piece.

It is however the Violin Concerto No.1 which is quoted as Vladigerov's most impressive piece, recalling the Szymanowski 1st.

JimL

I have found his music to be most compelling and original.  Truly a 20th Century standout sadly drowned out by the more high-profile Polish and Soviet Russian composers as representatives of the entire Eastern European bloc.  But how in the dickens did he get a name like Pancho?  Was his mom from Spain or something?

jerfilm

I often wondered he same thing, Jim.   

When I first heard his earlier piano concertos, I was reminded of Rachmaninoff and I was eager to explore his entire output.  But I was eventually disappointed - IMHO the melodic content diminishes and the music becomes more dissonant and less memorable.  But then that's just my taste showing through; I'm sure others will love him.

Jerry

eschiss1

Don't know.
Interestingly, according to MPH he was a student, at least briefly, of Gernsheim's. ("Owing to his Jewish extraction, Vladigerov's German career came to an end with Adolf Hitler's accession to power." Also interesting...)

fr8nks

I have Vladigerov's Piano Concertos Nos.4 & 5 but they are not in great sound. If there is an interest I will upload them. I also have No.3 but it is available on a commercial CD.

Frank

JimL

Quote from: fr8nks on Thursday 09 February 2012, 17:01
I have Vladigerov's Piano Concertos Nos.4 & 5 but they are not in great sound. If there is an interest I will upload them. I also have No.3 but it is available on a commercial CD.

Frank
If your version isn't the one that's commercially available I think it's kosher to upload it by our groundrules.  What say you, Mark?

fr8nks

The version that Gega (N0.GD 203) is currently selling has these artists:

Bulgarian National S. O.
Alexander Vladigerov, Conductor
Svetla Slavcheva, piano

Artists from a much older CD (GD 107)are:
GD 107 has been replaced in their catalog with a different CD
http://www.geganew.com/index_en.htm

Bulgarian Radio S. O.
Vassil Kazandjiev, Conductor
Boris Nedeltchev, piano

What do you think?

JimL

My question is, is the version you have one of the commercial CDs?  If so, we can forget about uploading it right now.  If, however, what you have is an LP that has never been released on CD or a broadcast we might be able to stick it in the archives.

fr8nks

Quote from: JimL on Thursday 09 February 2012, 18:58
My question is, is the version you have one of the commercial CDs?  If so, we can forget about uploading it right now.  If, however, what you have is an LP that has never been released on CD or a broadcast we might be able to stick it in the archives.
Both versions I have are on CD but as I said I believe one of them is no longer available. The versions I have of Vladigerov's PCs 4 & 5 are from LPs and are different performances than those found elsewhere on the internet.

Dundonnell

.........and the Violin Concerto No.1 ??? ???  It was once on LP but I don't know if it was ever transferred to cd ???

It is the cracker apparently ;D

fr8nks

I have Vladigerov's Violin Concerto No.1 from either a LP or radio broadcast.