Bulgarian symphonists thread

Started by eschiss1, Wednesday 27 July 2011, 10:20

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

I think I've seen it broadcast/rebroadcast on BBC - not sure.
There's a PDF dissertation by Mario Dimitrov, I may have mentioned, on Vladigerov's first violin concerto downloadable here - not public domain I'm sure but for study. (Nice to have that sort of study easily available in my opinion...) (It also touches on concertos by Raychev and others - indeed, two generations' worth.)
(Oddly, his dissertation gives the date 1956 for Stoyanov's violin concerto (page 45). I have a recording of it- maybe downloaded from here?... whose attached notes seem to give the date 1948?... Also, he claims the finale is "Ritmico" whereas I have "Vivo". Maybe there are three Stoyanov concertos (the concerto and concertino, and the 1948 piece I have) or maybe something is odd here... )

Dundonnell

Quote from: fr8nks on Thursday 09 February 2012, 21:49
I have Vladigerov's Violin Concerto No.1 from either a LP or radio broadcast.

I hope that you will be able to upload it at some point :)

fr8nks

Quote from: Dundonnell on Thursday 09 February 2012, 23:32
Quote from: fr8nks on Thursday 09 February 2012, 21:49
I have Vladigerov's Violin Concerto No.1 from either a LP or radio broadcast.

I hope that you will be able to upload it at some point :)

I'll upload it tomorrow, Colin.

Dundonnell

Look forward to that :)

Thanks, Frank :)

Dundonnell

......and, again, Thanks for the upload :) :)

From what I have heard so far I would concur with the view that this may well be the work in which Vladigerov demonstrated his early ability to fuse Romanticism and the influence of early 20th Century Expressionism into a lyrical, heady whole. His later music is more of a mix of Romanticism, Bulgarian folk music and, after 1945, a populism dictated by Bulgarian isolation from much of the rest of Europe.

fr8nks

You are welcome. I have a 7 LP set of Vladigerov's orchestral works which are nationalistic in their themes. I will try to upload some of them

Dundonnell

Quote from: fr8nks on Friday 10 February 2012, 12:33
You are welcome. I have a 7 LP set of Vladigerov's orchestral works which are nationalistic in their themes. I will try to upload some of them

Presumably you have heard the CPO cd containing Vladigerov's Traumspielsuite, the Bulgarian Rhapsody "Vardar" and the Seven Bulgarian Dances ??? All very colourful music :)

Greg K

Does anyone have an uploadable recording of Vladigerov's Op.47 Symphony "Jewish Poem" (1950)?

fr8nks

Quote from: Greg K on Saturday 11 February 2012, 03:52
Does anyone have an uploadable recording of Vladigerov's Op.47 Symphony "Jewish Poem" (1950)?

Hi Greg--I have a copy of it and will upload it soon.

JimL

I'm having a BIG problem with the download of the Vladigerov VC 1.  Apparently the files were somehow reversed when they were uploaded.  Apparently the first two movements run together and total about 19 minutes.  The finale is separate and is about 10 minutes.  Well, when I drop them into my iTunes the finale always winds up on top - it always ends up playing before the first two movements, and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to put the movements in proper order.  I've joined them, but apparently the 2nd movement never resolves and runs directly into the finale too, so the only way I can get everything to work right is to split them again.  Has anybody else had that problem?

fr8nks

Hi JimL,

I'm not sure I understand your problem. But suppose you had four files: f1, f2 ,f3 and f4. Now you create a zip file and upload it. Now you download it and you drag the files one at a time from the zip folder. Normally you would drag f1 out first, etc. Now they would be arranged in sequence. I don't have I tunes but after transfering them to that folder they should be in order. If they are not in order, click on view on top of computer page and tell it to arrange icons by name and they should be in alphabertical order with f1, f2, f3 and f4 in sequence no matter how they were unzipped or uploaded.

Frank

JimL

Ah, you don't have iTunes.  Well, I'm not entirely sure how iTunes works either.  All I know is that when I double click on a file in my downloads to open it (and my Zip extractor puts the files into Downloads or My Music, if I select that) my iTunes automatically opens up.  Normally, I'll open up one then the other and iTunes will put them in the proper order by itself.  If it doesn't, I can rename the files so that it does by numbering the movements (1, 2, 3, etc.).  However, this time that didn't work.  No matter how many times I tried to re-label the finale so it would appear under the first two movements, it always ended up on top.  I did note that in the original download the first and second movement file was labeled Vladigerov VC 1-2 and the finale was labeled Vladigerov VC 1-1.  I'm wondering it that has anything to do with it.  In any event, I joined the files together in the proper order, and I'm going to listen to the whole thing today at some point and get the timings down, because it sounds like there is a direct connection (attaca) between the 2nd movement and the finale, but there's a long gap in the join that I want to cut out.  So hopefully, I can re-split the file and have everything come out in the proper order.

fr8nks

Jim--I just dowloaded it again and when I open the zip file the first entry is VC1-1 which is 19:30 and the second line is VC1-2 which is 10:23. I would try to help you if I better knew what was happening. If I understand you correctly, when you open the zip file the lines are reversed but the movements are labeled correctly. There are many times I open a zip file from UC and the order of the movements might be 4-2-1-3 but I just drag them out in the order I desire. Are we talking about the same thing?

Frank

JimL

I'm going to try it again.  I'll let you know what happens.

JimL

OK.  Near as I can tell we have the first two movements in one file, the finale on a separate one.  If I leave things as they are, for some reason, the iTunes library stacks "Vladigerov VC 1-2 on top of Vladigerov VC 1-1 when I drop them in.  If I retitle the album "Vladigerov: Violin Concerto No. 1 it will put the files in proper order, but if I try to retitle the tracks "1. Moderato - Andante cantabile" and "2. Allegro ma non troppo" it puts the finale back on top of the first two movements.  Right now I have them in the proper order under the album Vladigerov: Violin Concerto No. 1, but only because I have the tracks of the first two movements as 1. Moderato - Andante cantabile and the finale as Vladigerov VC 1-2.  If I try to put the finale as track 2 it goes back on top.  Most frustrating.