Hungarian composers

Started by Amphissa, Sunday 25 September 2011, 15:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

Ah well...that rules them out then :(

Latvian

I've just uploaded the complete symphonies (eight of them!) by Pál Kadosa (1903-1983). I don't believe I've encountered any mention or discussion of him on this forum, but in my opinion (and that of various experts on Eastern European music) he's one of the major unsung Hungarian composers of the 20th Century. I don't know why he's so neglected these days in his homeland, but that neglect has certainly translated into ignorance of his music in the rest of the world. I've been very fortunate to be able to amass all eight of his symphonies over the years from various sources, and gladly present them here for the rest of the forum members to investigate, and hopefully to enjoy!

X. Trapnel

Thanks, Latvian, for the Kadosa symphonies. For me the glaring Hungarian symphonic gap is Gyorgy Kosa with 9 symphonies. There's a Hungaraton cd of 8; a friend sent me a recording of 5, a fine work, which I'd be glad to upload if I knew how.

Greg K

Somewhere I have recordings of Kadosa's two Violin Concertos, but don't remember them as being particularly impressive.

Holger

Thanks for your large Kadosa contribution, Latvian! I have just downloaded the symphonies I still needed (I only had Nos. 6&7 up to now). Just giving the music a listen here and there, I noted that there is something wrong with No. 8 however. The fourth movement sadly suffers from an LP problem, listen to the last two minutes or so (things start at about 6:15): it's all the same! (And the end is missing.) Is there a way to fix this?

By the way, I also have a recording of Kadosa's two violin concertos (but haven't transferred the LP yet).

Latvian

QuoteThanks for your large Kadosa contribution, Latvian! I have just downloaded the symphonies I still needed (I only had Nos. 6&7 up to now). Just giving the music a listen here and there, I noted that there is something wrong with No. 8 however.

Thanks for letting me know, Holger. Unfortunately, I don't own the LP and don't have access to it, so I can't fix it. Perhaps someone else on the forum has it?

QuoteBy the way, I also have a recording of Kadosa's two violin concertos (but haven't transferred the LP yet).

I have them also, as well as three of the piano concerti, all digitized. I can easily upload if there is interest from the forum.

eschiss1

Re Kadosa: listened to one or maybe two of the symphonies (maybe at least part of the LP with symphonies 6 and 7 and concerto for piano 4?) awhile back on LP at the university library. Looking forward to hearing them again when I get back from vacation. Thanks much!! (Now I wonder what Kosa's symphonies sound like :) )
New York Public Library has Kadosa sym. 8 in the 1971 score - next time I'm there I need to remember to have a look. (Boosey, which now distributes Kadosa, only lists his 1st and 6th symphonies on their site- and other works, but no other symphonies of his, I think.)

Arbuckle

Thanks from me, too Latvian, great addition and I am definitely interested in his concertos if you have the time. Best wishes, and more thanks for all the other uploads you have given us.

dafrieze

Thanks for the Kadosa symphonies!  However, I notice that in the fourth movement of the eight symphony, around 6:13, the music starts to go into an endless loop, as if the record were skipping, and it continues in that loop until the end. 

Latvian

QuoteThanks for the Kadosa symphonies!  However, I notice that in the fourth movement of the eight symphony, around 6:13, the music starts to go into an endless loop, as if the record were skipping, and it continues in that loop until the end.

See my response, above, to Holger's observation of this problem. Sorry! I hadn't listened to this in several years and had forgotten there was a problem.

eschiss1

Thanks for posting the Erod; I have a recording of his viola concerto somewhere around - need to check whether it's a commercial release. Looking forward to hearing his symphony!

DerMorgen

Thanks for some interesting items here. Does anyone have compositions by Andras Mihaly, except from the fine Cello Concerto (hungaroton, Perenyi is the soloist) and a string quartet issued by Melodiya ?

eschiss1

I don't, but Worldcat lists several recordings of his music- perhaps most were LPs (only 2 CDs, which seems accurate). Apparently his symphony no.3 was a Hungaroton LP in 1971, and a cantata was also released at another point. (The cello concerto is a reissue on CD of such an LP, I think? Haven't heard his music yet myself, by the way, but will have a listen if posted- thank you. Hrm. Student of Leo Weiner?)

gpdlt2010

Thanks for the Ranki symphony. A truly kaleidoscopic composer!
Could we have something else by him?
Thanks again!

Sicmu

Quote from: gpdlt2010 on Sunday 08 April 2012, 12:31
Thanks for the Ranki symphony. A truly kaleidoscopic composer!
Could we have something else by him?
Thanks again!

I will upload the side B in a few days, there are also a couple of CD's available for download at classicsonline.com