Hungarian composers

Started by Amphissa, Sunday 25 September 2011, 15:14

Previous topic - Next topic

caostotale

I've been interested in learning more about the twentieth century Hungarian composers Gyorgy Kosa and Pal Jardanyi. I have a few string quartet scores by both composers, but have not been able to find any recordings of those works. The former wrote music in a very expressionist vein. If anybody has anything from them, I would love to check it out.

Thanks,
Justin

fr8nks

Quote from: caostotale on Monday 09 April 2012, 04:13
I've been interested in learning more about the twentieth century Hungarian composers Gyorgy Kosa and Pal Jardanyi. I have a few string quartet scores by both composers, but have not been able to find any recordings of those works. The former wrote music in a very expressionist vein. If anybody has anything from them, I would love to check it out.

Thanks,
Justin

Hungaroton CD 31742 contains Jardanyi's Violin Concerto, Symphony in Five Sections and Vivente e Moriente.

gpdlt2010

My thanks to Sicmu for the Ranki. Someone at another blog posted one of his works titled simply "1512", but offered no explanation about this curious title. Is it a significant date in Hungary?
Anyway, any clue would be appreciated.

Holger

Quote from: Bill Hayden on Saturday 05 May 2012, 16:25
Dear Elroel
Many thanks for Szabo's oratorio but the three links seems to be identical as contains.

Bill,
no, they aren't. Quite on the contrary, you need to download all three of them to be able to extract the piece! We recently discussed a similar issue in the Czech folder. I already downloaded Szabó's Oratorio and can assure all is fine with the links (and the piece itself is rather interesting as well).

Elroel

Caostale asked for Jardányi and Kósa.

A couple of compositions of Kósa found their way to the cd (a.o. Symphony #8. My lp copy is from the same tape, alas.
Apart from his 9 symphonies he was, especially in Hungary, best known for his vocal works.
I' ll try to post a couple of them asap: Cantata's "Orpheus,Eurydie,Hermes", "Karinthy', "Solitlak,Hattyu", "Todesfuge'. All these works are rather small cantatas.
Two chamber works I also did not find on cd: 12 Miniaturs for harp trio and a cello sonata.

From Járdanyi I only have a Sonatina for flute and cembalo, but this is on tape, and I have no idea of the qualty of that file.

Elroel

I posted a minute ago, Ferenc Szabó's Hazatérés [Cto for Orch] in the Hungarian folder.

Happy listening.

Dundonnell

Elroel,  can you provide information about the singers, orchestra and conductor for the Szabo Oratorio ???

Elroel

The performers of the Szabó Ferenc's Oratorio Föltamadott a Tenger are:

Róbert Ilosfalvy, tenor
Budapesti Kórus (Chorus Master: Miklós Forrai)
Hungarian State Orchestra/cond: Gyula Németh

There is nothing on the sleeve note about the artists.

I don't know why I didn't provide this information in the first place. Maybe my eyes were more closed than I thought. Sorry.

Greetz

Elroel

Sicmu

Here's a scan of the back cover for the Szabo :

Holger

I just gave Szabó's Concerto for Orchestra a listen, that's quite a good piece of music! Despite the fact it is subdivided into a real multitude of little sections as Elroel pointed out in his description, the work really has something which I might call symphonic unity. Interesting composer, thanks for all the further pieces (and the scan) as well.

Dundonnell

Quote from: Holger on Sunday 06 May 2012, 17:55
I just gave Szabó's Concerto for Orchestra a listen, that's quite a good piece of music! Despite the fact it is subdivided into a real multitude of little sections as Elroel pointed out in his description, the work really has something which I might call symphonic unity. Interesting composer, thanks for all the further pieces (and the scan) as well.

.....and dreadful man, apparently :(

minacciosa

Are there any private recordings of Dohnanyi's symphonic cantata Cantus Vitae Op.38? I know there was a performance within the last decade or so.

DerMorgen

A thousand thanks for the recent Mihalys; I´ve been looking for his orchestral music besides the great Cello Concerto for many years & am looking forward to hearing more by him.

eschiss1

Thanks much for all the Kadosa- enjoyed listening to the LP of 2 of his symphonies at the university library awhile back, good to hear more of his music! The viola soloist- sorry if this has been pointed out -I think is Lukacs, not Lukaca?

Thanks again for all the music and discussion, I must say again (I'm not leaving, but sometimes I notice I... eh... long, long story.) People here are a treasure. Yes.

Sicmu

Quote from: Elroel on Wednesday 16 May 2012, 12:26
Bela Tardos  -  Symphony (subtitled 'In memoriam martyrum') (1960)

Symphony Orchestra of the Hungarian Radio and Television
Conductor: Miklós Erdélyi

From: lp Qualiton LPX 1199 (The release must be before 1967 I guess, because the composer was still living)

I'm afraid this is not the best quality I ever uploaded. A quick run with filtering was not much better, so I left it unchanged. It's up to you, if you need to do anything with it.

I will check my copy and if it sounds OK I will upload it