Spanish Composers

Started by JimL, Saturday 15 October 2011, 15:59

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

I'm not sure how legally but there are YouTube videos of at least movements of it.

TerraEpon

Quote from: JimL on Saturday 29 October 2011, 15:55
I'd sure like to get me a download of the Albeniz PC!  :)

There's a few recordings of it, assuming you mean #1, including a cheap one on Warner (Apex I think). Or do what I did and DL the recent BIS version from eClassical.com (along with the ORIGINAL orchestration of the Rapsodia Espagnola). Now if you mean #2....well that's incomplete anyway so I assume you don't :P

There's also an incomplete Granados PC. Hmmm...

Dundonnell

I am uploading two works by Oscar Espla from an old LP:

Sinfonia Aitana and Sonata Del Sur for Piano and Orchestra.

Dundonnell

I shall be adding a BBC recording of Roberto Gerhard's Violin Concerto played by Erich Gruenberg.

I was not quite sure whether to add this to the British Music Collection since Gerhard lived in Britain from 1939 until his death in 1970 and was therefore an emigree in the same way as Egon Wellesz, Hans Gal, Berthold Goldschmidt, Andrzej Panufnik. I believe however that Gerhard still very much considered himself a Spanish(or Catalan) composer but I am perfectly happy to be over-ruled on this.

I am not particularly enamoured of Gerhard's later compositions but the Violin Concerto does contain passages of lyricism which demonstrate the influence of earlier Spanish music on the composer.

semloh

Sorry to be a Jeremiah, but the recently uploaded performance of the Surinach piano concerto is currently available on CD - EMI's Eloquence label.

jerfilm

thanks, Atsushi, for the Garcia Symphony.  And you've restored my hope as well.  I was beginning to think we'd run out of 19th century music....heehee.....

Jerry

lechner1110

You are welcome, Jerry.   Garcia's symphony is very good romantic style symphony, in my opinion.  I want to listen all of his symphonies! ;D

gpdlt2010

I want more Marquès too (not García, BTW)!! Thanks for letting us experience this composer!
Here are some brief biographical notes:
Pere Miquel Marquès y García was born in Palma de Mallorca, Balearic Islands , Spain on May 23,1843.
In 1859 he went to Paris, where he studied with François Bazin. He was practically the only Spanish composer of his time to have written symphonies. He wrote 5 of them (1869, 1871, 1876, 1878 and 1880).
He also wrote zarzuelas (Spanish operettas), of which El Anillo de Hierro (The Iron Ring - 1878) is the best known.
He lived in Madrid most of his adult life, until he retired. He died on 25 February 1918 in Palma de Mallorca.

gpdlt2010

My thanks to rbert12 for all the posts of really unsung Spanish composers.
Really looking forward to get acquainted with some more.

gpdlt2010

Renewed thanks to rbert12 for the three Marquès symphonies. Can No. 1 be too far?

rbert12

Sorry, but I only have recorded from 2 to 5, but the sheet music of this first symphony has been edited and published recently, so maybe there has been a performance and someone has recorded it, or there will be one in the near future. We could always hope...

gpdlt2010

Not minding repeating myself, thanks again to rbert12 for this embarrassment of riches!
San Antonio de la Florida is indeed a very "unsung" zarzuela!

gpdlt2010

Ditto for Matilde Salvador!

lechner1110

I also would like to say "Arigato"(Thank you!) , rbert12.
   All works are new to me, and very nice ;)

And I always enjoying concert broadcasting of RTVE and Catalunya musica ;D

gpdlt2010

My hearfelt thanks to rbert12 for Lopez Chavarri's Acuarelas Valencianas.
I never thought my request would be fulfilled so soon!