Roman Statkowski - Opera "Maria"

Started by markniew, Friday 11 November 2011, 15:24

Previous topic - Next topic

markniew

For those who like unknown music:

Polish Radio re-broadcasts tonight at. 7:00 p.m. performance of the opera "Maria" by Polish Roman Statkowski (1859-1926)

It was staged during this year Opera Festival in Wexford (22.10.2011)

performers: Daria Maniero – soprano, Rafał Bartmiński – tenor, Adam Kruszewski – bariton, Krzysztof Szumański – bas, Choir and Orchestra Wexford Opera Festival, cond. Tomasz Tokarczyk

Maria was performed live in 2005 (if I remember well) after many years of being fallen in oblivion. then the same performace was issued on CDs by Polish Radio.

eschiss1

I just first heard of this composer in the last few days, I think when noticing and skimming an interesting-seeming chamber work of his in score @IMSLP (http://imslp.org/wiki/String_Quartet,_Op.10_(Statkowski,_Roman)). Thanks! BTW, there are several Polish classical radio stations, several of which stream over the net, and - I asked this in another thread and can't remember if anyone answered me there... I know this is a silly question, but which radio station is meant?

markniew

In Poland Polskie Radio Program 2 is devoted to classical music (literature, theatre) and presents complete works and not fragments like for example RMF Classic

Alan Howe

I'm currently trying to buy the CDs from Polish Radio, but I'm not having much success with the payment process. I'm now awaiting a reply and hope they can help me...

markniew

Polish Rdio re-broadcasted this performance during its three  night programmes several years ago. I have registered it.
If there is an interest in hearing such vesrion I can upload it.

mikehopf

Eric, I've got a recording of the Statkowski String Quartet if you want it.

eschiss1

sure- something off Polish Radio or somesuch? thank you.
(6 string quartets at least by Statkowski, but only 3 recordings of his work - one (conducted by Borowicz- not the same recording, in any case!) of the opera Maria (Polish Radio CD, 2009- not sure if this was given any form of commercial release or was just radio station to radio station transcription stuff- I would guess the latter), and one of piano music; also one aria (on 78s?...))
(The quartets are no.1 in F op.10, no.2 in F minor op.13, no.3 in D op.14,  no.4 in E-flat op.38 (pub.1948?), no.5 in E minor op.40 pub1929 (big piece, 102 page score)), no.6 in E minor (w/o op.). Also mentioned is a fantasy for orchestra in D minor op.25. http://www.polskiemuzy.pl/Oferta.aspx?mas=96&kat=234&page=1&id=PMU04F

Alan Howe

Hi Marek,
I'd love to hear the broadcast of Maria!

markniew

Allan, ok I will upload MAria.

the same performance (not at the opera stage but the concert versin) has been issued by Polskie Radio
http://sklep.polskieradio.pl/Products/504-roman-statkowski-maria.aspx

3 years ago Acte Prealable issued a CD with Statkowski's piano music vol. 1 with Seferinova

Alan Howe

Yes, I found it, Marek - but at the moment I cannot order it from the UK. I am hoping that Polish Radio will e-mail me back!
Thanks for offering to upload the broadcast - I'll look forward to that when you have the time.

markniew

Alan,

As requested I have uploaded Act 1 of "Maria" by Roman Statkowski

link in the Downloads/Polish Music

live performance at the W. Lutoslawski Polish Radio Concert Hall, 21 Sep. 2008
then rebroadcasted during three night programs in January 2009, Act 1 - on 03.01.2009

Opera of 1906 (premiered in Warsaw), based on the poem by the romantic poet Antoni Malczewski (1793-1826)  telling the story of love, war (with Tatars). Poem Maria is also called Ukrainian Roman due to the place where the story takes place - in 17th century eastern parts of Poland - Ukraine.
According to the radio comments opera was staged 4 times, for the last time in 1936.
During WW 2 score was partly lost . In 60s Kazimierz Wilkomirski, a pupil of Statkowski reconstructed the score.
It is not clear form me whether it was staged in this version before 2008.

Acts 2 and 3 I will uload tomorrow.

ROMAN  STATKOWSKI    (1859-1926)   

Maria – Opera ater Poem by Antoni Malczewski   (1906)

1. Akt I          42:16

Wioletta Chodowicz, sopran (Maria) / Dariusz Pietrzykowski, tenor (Wacław)
Artur Ruciński, baryton (Miecznik = Official, sword-bearer) / Wojciech Gierlach, bas (Wojewoda = Governor)
Katarzyna Rzymska, sopran (Pacholę = Lad)
Choir of Polish Radio
Polish Radio Orchestra (of Warsaw)
cond. Łukasz Borowicz

Alan Howe

Thanks very much indeed, Marek. I have had no reply from Polish Radio as to the problem of ordering from outside Poland...

Martin Eastick

Alan,

try ordering "Maria" from gigant.pl - I managed to obtain a copy from them and it was not too much of a problem for a non-Polish speaker like myself! They have it listed on their website (but try searching under Borowicz - as they have it incorrectly listed!) @ 57.99 zl. Mine arrived in about a couple of weeks without any further problems after a few minor difficulties working out how to use their ordering procedure!

In any case it was well worth the trouble!

Alan Howe

Hi Martin,
Thanks very much indeed for the heads-up. I have managed to work my way through the ordering process at gigant.pl without too much trouble. I'm very grateful!

markniew

Hi Alan,
despite the fact you have ordered the CD set I upload acta 2 and 3 of Maria by Statkowski.
Marek