News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Knighthoods

Started by BFerrell, Monday 19 December 2011, 18:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

I will let Somervell in............but not Coward ;D

Somervell was knighted for his work as Principal Inspector of Music for the Board of Education.

Dundonnell

We now need to add Sir Antonio Pappano to the list of conductors who have received Knighthoods.

Pappano, the Music Director of the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden and of the Santa Cecilia Orchestra in Rome, is of Italian parentage but was born in Britain and has British citizenship.

Alan Howe

I'd say Pappano's knighthood was well deserved.

Mark Thomas

I watched his blazing Covent Garden performance of Tosca with Terfel, Kaufmann and Gheorghiu on BBC over the Christmas break - fabulous. He richly deserved the recognition.

alberto

I am eager to listen Pappano and Santa Cecilia Orch. performing Elgar First Symphony in my city next January, 22th.

Alan Howe

Quote from: alberto on Saturday 31 December 2011, 14:25
I am eager to listen Pappano and Santa Cecilia Orch. performing Elgar First Symphony in my city next January, 22th.

Now that will be worth listening to...

BFerrell

My original post was about the rhyme or reason people are chosen. It seems the answer is, there is no rhyme or reason!  Either way, any honors denied to Handley and Hickox is a shame.

Mark Thomas

Don't forget that some people are offered an honour and decline it. That said, having been involved in a previous life in proposing people in my industry for honours, it certainly is something of a lottery.

Dundonnell

Quote from: Tapiola on Sunday 01 January 2012, 00:28
My original post was about the rhyme or reason people are chosen. It seems the answer is, there is no rhyme or reason!  Either way, any honors denied to Handley and Hickox is a shame.

As I remarked earlier, had Hickox lived he would almost certainly have been offered a knighthood before too much later.

Handley had his devoted admirers. It is. only fair, to add that he also had some detractors :(

BFerrell

Jimfin

It does seem indicative of the general indifference of the establishment (now we have a pop-listening Prime Minister) to native music, that none of the recent conductors who have promoted British music have been knighted: Handley, Thomson, Llloyd-Jones, Yates, Brabbins, Hickox... The last one I can think of is Sir Edward Downes

John H White

In the unlikely event of my being offered a knighthood I'm afraid I'd have to decline it, as I wouldn't be able to afford the suit of armour to go with it.

albion

Quote from: John H White on Tuesday 03 January 2012, 16:12In the unlikely event of my being offered a knighthood I'm afraid I'd have to decline it

The thought that an octogenarian would be wielding a sword in the region of one's jugular ...

:o

... might also possibly be a reason to pretend that the invitation somehow got 'lost in the post'.

;D

ahinton

Quote from: John H White on Tuesday 03 January 2012, 16:12
In the unlikely event of my being offered a knighthood I'm afraid I'd have to decline it, as I wouldn't be able to afford the suit of armour to go with it.
I would, too, though not for that reason.

I happen also to know someone who was awarded a CBE but heard about it second hand rather than receiving the due notification; embarrassing, though for who the most it's hard to say...

Mark Thomas

Quoteawarded a CBE but heard about it second hand
I can't imagine how that could happen. Potential recipients receive a letter several months beforehand and must confirm their acceptance in writing. No reply - no honour.