BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Knighthoods

Started by BFerrell, Monday 19 December 2011, 18:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

Quote from: Tapiola on Tuesday 03 January 2012, 03:19
Handley, detractors????

There were those-I am not saying that I agree with them of course-who believed that in non-British repertoire Handley was no more than routine: steady, solid, reliable but no more than that.

Although he did a tremendous job in promoting British music and orchestras generally liked him because he was courteous, friendly and efficient he was, latterly, unpopular with orchestra managements because his uncertain health led to him cancelling a number of engagements at short notice.

His set of the Robert Simpson symphonies-much acclaimed though it was by Simpson-lovers and many critics-did not meet with the composer's own universal approval. Some of the symphonies were very well done but Simpson was disappointed with some of the others.

Handley's admirers-and I certainly was one-held him in enormous esteem but the 'professional musical inner circle' were less convinced. (There is another conductor in Jimfin's list of whom much the same could be said :()

JimL

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Tuesday 03 January 2012, 19:37
Quoteawarded a CBE but heard about it second hand
I can't imagine how that could happen. Potential recipients receive a letter several months beforehand and must confirm their acceptance in writing. No reply - no honour.
Unless he wasn't in the country when the letter arrived, and his significant other responded for him!

BFerrell

Thank you Dundonnell. I think any trained monkey can do the German and Russian war horses. Careerists all. I have no repect for any musician who succumbbs to the almight pound/dollar.  Handley was one of a kind and will always be revered and adored my me, as will Hickox.

Jimfin

I second the adoration. I cannot really judge what Handley might have been like with non-British works, as I haven't heard him perform any, but it seems unlikely that he suddenly lost his marvellous ability to conduct, as seen, for example, in his Bax symphonic cycle, as soon as a composer with a different passport appeared: it seems utterly illogical. Far more likely, this is just another example of the kind of prejudice hurled against British music: that it is all a little bit staid and square, lacking in any real invention. Utterly untrue, but I think we have all seen it, and it still goes on. The latest being the absurd claim description of the Gothic as "a second-rate piece of music" in the latest "Gramophone", which has persuaded me to stop taking that magazine.

Sydney Grew

From among the A's, two more knights for consideration:

1) Sir Walter Alcock, "organist and composer," born at Edenbridge, Kent, in 1861; knighted in 1933;

2) and Sir Ivor Atkins, "composer and organist," born at Cardiff in 1869. His compositions include the cantata "Hymn of Faith," the libretto to which was arranged by Sir Edward Elgar, and he was knighted in 1921.

Jimfin

I recently discovered that Sir Julius Benedict was not only knighted by Queen Victoria as a naturalised Briton, but received knighthoods in Austria and Wurttemburg.