Johann Rufinatscha: unjustly unsung

Started by Peter1953, Sunday 10 May 2009, 12:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter1953

In Reply #6 [Topic: Music, but not for amusement] Alan Howe wrote to me I'm sure we'd all to hear your thoughts on Rufinatscha in a new thread - when you have time.

Well Alan, it will be my pleasure. But, as I have said in the old Forum, I am neither a musician, nor a musicologist, just a listener. Besides, English is not my native language. But I will give it a try anyhow, because Rufinatscha's music is for me so far nothing less than a "Trouvaille". You are a real advocate for Rufinatscha and like you, I also hope to stimulate fellow Raffians to listen to Rufinatscha's music, which is enchanting.

I have already said something enthusiastic about his symphonies 1, 2, 5 and 6 (Topic: Rufinatscha 6, Reply #4) and the two piano quartets (Topic: unsung chamber music with piano, Reply #7).

The other disk I have is "Symphonische Musik für Klavier zu vier Händen", although I had ordered the CD "Klaviertrio, Klavierkonzert zu 4 Händen". Never mind, because its marvellous music. It gives a pretty good idea how the first 3 movements of the lost score of his symphony in C minor must have sounded. Manfred Schneider in his booklet notes quotes a music reviewer who attended a concert in 1846, saying that he ... halte es für die heiligste Pflicht der Kritik, solch ein symphonisches Talent mit Theilnahme in die Welt zu führen. Unfortunately that never happened.

Today I have ordered two CD's, the "Klaviertrio, Klavierkonzert zu 4 Händen" and "Tiroler Klaviermusiek" with four-handed piano music from Rufinatscha and Netzer. I will let you know what I think of it in due course.

Rubinstein-Raff-Rufinatscha. A coincidence or not?  ;D

Alexander_Glazraffstein

Dear friends,

I have been realizing that Rufinatscha is often mentioned in a lot of topics. I am very curious about him because It seems to some Forum members (Raffians or not) It is an unjustified neglected composer and about his music would keep similarities with Raff and Rubinstein.
I will be glad If some of you would be as kind to give me more information about the composer´s life and works, ad also about the avaiable discography.
Many thanks in Advance! :)

Fernando.

USA 2 - Spain 0 ... What a shame!    :-[ ;)

John H White

Looks as if the musical establishment will need to go back to school to learn the 3 Rs. ;D

Peter1953

You are teasing me, John.  ;) But you are right, I like to say something about Rufinatscha, whose beautiful music is for me a real discovery. Tonight I have to go to Germany for a business trip, but after my return I am happy to share my thoughts on Rufinatscha's music with all of you. I hope Alan can add something.

In the meantime it's RRRB. You know where my B stands for.  ::)

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

Fernando, there aren't many obvious similarities between Rufinatscha on the one hand and Raff and Rubinstein on the other, beyond the fact that they are all  19th. century unsungs sharing the same general romantic ethos and their names begin with R. Alan has written long and eloquently about Rufinatscha and I'm not going to steal his thunder. Rufinatscha has a very individual voice and like all geniuses it doesn't fit into one of those too convenient and always inaccurate categories like Mendelssohnion or Wagnerian, but a start might be to think of him is as a bridge of sorts between the Schubert of the 9th Symphony and Bruckner. That certainly wouldn't describe the other two R's!

Alexander_Glazraffstein

Dear friends,

Thank you very much indeed for your suggestions and for the wikipedia link.
I read he was born in South Tyrol and would be considered the best known south tyrolean composer. I am not entirely agree, because Ludwing Thuille was born also in this former Austrian province. ???
I like very much the Thuille Piano Concerto in D major and the Symphony in F major.
I am going to open a new topic about him as soon as I have a short bit of free time.
Again, many thanks for the information about Rufinatscha... I will start to look for some CD of him as soon as possible.
Now, I am back to my daily duties... today less dull because I am listening to the Berwald 3 "Sinfonie Singulière" now. :)
Greetings from "Raffcelona", ;)

Fernando.

Alan Howe

What I find when I come back to Rufinatscha - in particular to Symphonies 5 and 6 - is the largeness of his vision and the uniqueness of his music. There is simply nothing like him and I take this fact to be the mark of a truly great composer. Of course, he is part of the great symphonic tradition of the nineteenth century, indeed his music is one of its peaks, but the extraordinary thing is that he has only been re-discovered in the past decade or so - and this through the efforts of modern-day compatriots who have had the confidence to edit, perform, record and promote the music completely single-handedly.

I am therefore glad to report (although I cannot give any details at this moment) that a major independent label is currently planning to record at least the 6th Symphony, and maybe more, here in the UK. This may be the start of gaining for Rufinatscha something of the justice denied to him in life - e.g. when the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra under Dessoff refused to play the 6th. Let us hope that his time has now come...

John H White

What exciting news Alan! It will be wonderful to get hold of recordings of his music without knowing a word of German! Would it be too much to expect concert performances in the UK as well?
      Cheers,
          John.

Alan Howe

I am not sure whether there will be concert performances linked to the recordings. It's a distinct possibility, I would have thought, though.

Peter1953

What can I add to all of this? It is only 3 months ago when I ordered my first Rufinatscha CD's, thanks to the enthusiasm of Alan. Rufinatscha is definitely the greatest find for me in years. His music is stirring, especially the 5th and 6th symphonies. It is so difficult to understand that this great symphonist completely fell into obscurity.
But Rufinatscha had more talents than writing some beautiful symphonies. His chamber music, especially the two piano quartets, is gorgeous. And the two-handed piano version of his piano concerto gives a strong desire for the availability of the complete concerto with orchestra.

Alan's news that another label is planning to record Rufinatscha's 6th is certainly exciting. It's an opportunity for much more classical music lovers to learn of Rufinatscha. And that is exactly what the music reviewer, who attended a Rufinatscha concert in 1846, wanted to happen. That is justice.

Kevin Pearson

I've tried my best search skills and have been unable to locate anywhere his music on CD can be purchased. Anyone know?

Kevin

JimL

Some of us do, Kevin.  Alan, can you post the link to the Tiroler Landesmuseum and give him the instructions for ordering? 

Peter1953

Yes Kevin, the limited availability of Rufinatscha's music is an obstacle. You can only buy the CDs at the online shop of the Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum and nowhere else. But this works: click on

http://www.tiroler-landesmuseum.at/html.php/de/ferdinandeum/index.html

Ø   click on "Museum Shop Online" (right top of the screen)
Ø   click on "CDs" (left column)
Ø   fill in "Rufinatscha" where you see "Volltextsuche" (= full text search) and you will find Rufinatscha discs on 3 pages

If you like to buy one or more discs, do the following:

Ø   click on "Mehr Infos" (= more information)
Ø   if you want to order that specific CD, click on "in den Warenkorb" (= in the shopping basket), and you will find another screen
Ø   if successful, you will read "Artikel wurde erfolgreich dem Warenkorb hinzugefügt" (= the article is successfully put into the basket) and if you like, you can continue shopping or register and buy the disc.
Ø   Click on "Registrierung" (= register) if you are a new customer to fill in some information like your shipping address and paying methods.

Good luck!

Alan Howe

i am very grateful to you, Peter, for posting this most helpful advice. Thank you.