Johann Rufinatscha: unjustly unsung

Started by Peter1953, Sunday 10 May 2009, 12:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Gänsbacher, Netzer and Nagiller all wrote some thoroughly attractive music - well worth anyone's attention. Rufinatscha, however, is an original composer of the front rank - one of the truly great unsungs. Hence Ralph Couzens' interest...

JollyRoger

you can listen to his 6th symphony here:

07:45 Werken van de Oostenrijkse componist Johann Rufinatscha (1812–1893).
1. Ouverture 'Die Braut von Messina'.
2. Symfonie nr. 6 in D.
BBC Philharmonic olv. Gian-Andrea Noseda.

Tuesday 12 July 2011

http://www.concertzender.nl/programmagids.php?date=2011-07-12&month=-4&detail=50509

Gareth Vaughan

I must second Alan's opinion here. Rufinatscha really is a first rate composer whose significance should not be underestimated.

Alan Howe

Thanks, Gareth. We owe a great deal to our colleagues in Innsbruck, I feel.

a.b.

New stuff about Rufinatscha:  :)

24. November 2012, 20 h, Mals, Oberschulzentrum (South Tyrol, Italy)
25. November 2012, 17 h, Innsbruck, Kaiser-Leopold-Saal (Austria)

Johann Rufinatscha – Symphony in c-minor, (wind parts reconstructed by Michael F.P. Huber) - world premiere
Johann Rufinatscha – Three Orchestra Songs

Belinda Loukota, Sopran
Andreas Mattersberger, Bass
Orchester der Akademie St. Blasius
Karheinz Siessl

http://www.akademie-st-blasius.at/?cat=12

Alan Howe

Peter1953

Will the Rufinatscha concert be recorded at the same time, a.b.? Can you ask Manfred Schneider? That would be another desirable CD from the wonderful collection of the Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum Innsbruck.

Alan Howe

My information - although not from Innsbruck - is that it is likely to be recorded. Note that the second performance is to be in Innsbruck itself.

Mark Thomas

This is excellent news. It is really gratifying how quickly Rufinatscha has gone from total unknown to an unsung who regularly gets performances and is taken up by a major recording label. Of course, being unearthed as a major talent in a region previously unblessed with composers of such quality, coupled with a well-funded local museum with its own CD label helps, as does Alan's dogged and authoritative advocacy. But none of it would count for much if there wasn't such prodigious musical substance in the first place.