British and Irish Music-Catalogue and Archive

Started by badams@nl.rogers.com, Thursday 16 August 2012, 01:47

Previous topic - Next topic

badams@nl.rogers.com

It may be that, given the new mandate of this site, as the moderators have rather clearly laid it out, the question I'm about to ask may in and of itself be inappropriate.  If so I fully respect their right to deal with it by ignoring it.

So I get it.  The archived topics are read only, no longer actively maintained, etc.  No quarrel with any of this.

However, in attempting to download the few items that were still on my want list from the British Music Archive, I keep getting a message to the effect that "you are not authorized to use this folder". 

My question is simply:  is this the natural, irreversible consequence of the change in status of the archive (in which case I accept it as such without further discussion), or is there still some means of accessing these files.

Many thanks, whatever the answer.

badams@nl.rogers.com

I'm so sorry, moderators, for wasting your time!!!  As is so often the case it seems I jumped the gun.  I now realize that the BIMCA is accessible via Mr Grew's site.

Again, I apologize for wasting your time and bandwidth!

Mark Thomas

Mark Thomas

Our former member Albion has apparently changed all the links to the files contained in his British and Irish Music Catalogue and Archive so that the files are no longer accessible from Unsung Composers Archive section. I have tried to contact him to confirm this but he hasn't replied to my email. There is no point in keeping his catalogue in the Download archive when none of the links work, so I have now deleted it.

patmos.beje

The British and Irish Music-Catalogue was a wonderful catalogue and contained music I had longed to hear for many years (e.g MacCunn's 'The Lay of the Last Minstrel',  Coleridge-Taylor's 'A Tale of Old Japan', Bate's 'Third Piano Concerto' and rare Mackenzie pieces to name but a few pieces).  A great deal of effort went into putting it together and, in my view, it is a tremendous loss it is no longer accessible.  Where will we ever hear such music again?  I think it is unlikely that much of the music contained in the catalogue will ever be commercially recorded.  I'm grateful to Albion and those whose sterling efforts made such a marvelous resource available and thankful that I was able to download a good deal of thoroughly enjoyable music.