News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Unsung concerts redux

Started by eschiss1, Tuesday 03 September 2013, 03:31

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

I forget if these have been mentioned in this thread...

Enjoyed the Mozart/Krommer/Dvorak concert I went to a few weeks ago (yay again, Jupiter Symphony Chamber Players of New York City.) Anyhow, Daniel Barenboim will be conducting the 2nd of Max Reger's 2 Gesänge Op.144 (his Requiem) in Salzburg (at the Festspielhaus) on Wednesday (half of a concert that is part of a Bruckner series- so the other half of the concert is a performance of Bruckner sym. 4).

One of my favorite Medtner songs ("When Roses Fade"/"Лишь розы увядают.", no.3 of 6 Poems after Pushkin, Op.36, 1915; I have a recording with the composer at the piano once available on an EMI CD... - one can hear that recording in mp3 here*)  will be part of a Medtner/Rachmaninoff program - tomorrow, I think - (vocal and piano solo) - at St. Bride's Church, Fleet Street, London (see this listing at Bachtrack.com e.g.)

Josef Suk's Meditation on an Old Czech Hymn "St Wenceslas" will be performed on July 26th at the Christopher Cohan Center for the Performing Arts, San Luis Obispo, California, USA.

Taneev's string trio in D major is scheduled to be performed in a concert August 1, at
Benaroya Hall, Nordstrom Recital Hall, Seattle (Washington, US). (Beethoven Op.11 and Brahms string quintet no.1 besides.)

A program of Schubert and Anselm Hüttenbrenner piano works in NY City (also August 1), @ Lincoln Center: Stanley H Kaplan Penthouse.

August 7 @ Allhelgonakyrkan, Stockholm sees a program of Gubaidulina, Beethoven and Medtner again (his piano sonata no.9 opus 30 in A minor, "War Sonata".) (Another concert, orchestral, a few days earlier, sandwiches Aulin's 3rd violin concerto between 2 very well-known works, I should add...)

An interesting-looking concert August 8 @Prieuré de Marcevol, Marcevol called Darkness in Europe, 1913-1918 has:

Stephan, Grotesque for violin and piano (1911)
Debussy, Cello sonata in D minor (1915)
Berg, Four pieces for clarinet and piano, Op.5 (1913)
Magnard, Quintet in D minor for piano, flute, oboe, clarinet and bassoon, Op.8

*(I see several I don't know there at that link too (and another favorite, Op.29/6, The Rose). I think I'll spend a little while then...; having spent quite awhile and then awhile with that memorable CD mostly of his songs, I do think I've come to love it... so- more? Yes please. :) )

eschiss1

Ooh, and I missed, I did,

Ferdinand Hiller: piano quartet no.3 in A minor
(Jupiter Symphony Chamber Players, NYC, NY, USA, October 27 2014;

Robert Kahn piano quartet no.2, same location, December 15 2014;

Gyorgy Catoire piano trio in F minor, etc., January 5 2015;

Henry Hadley piano quintet, March 2 2015;

Franz Lachner nonet, March 16;

Hans Huber piano quintet op.136 (?), March 30;

Ludwig Thuille piano quintet no.2, May 4...

(and other things of varying interest to varying people. I've gone to two of their concerts and enjoyed both.)

See Jupiter Symphony 2014-15 Calendar.

Mark Thomas

Yes, I too have been to several of their concerts and the quality of performance is uniformly high. If you are an enthusiast for unsung chamber music and you can get to New York, they really are a must. Highly recommended.

JimL

If you can get you hands on a review of the October concert I'd love to see it posted.  The Grand Quartet of Hiller is a favorite of mine, and I'd like to see what a professional critic thinks of it.  Of course, if he doesn't like it, I'll blast him...  ;D

eschiss1

Will have to keep in mind! (Er...

to be clear: when I said I missed the Hiller, I just meant that I didn't notice, not that I missed the concert, which of course hasn't happened yet :) )

eschiss1

Oh, the Enescu octet is programmed tonight @ Ambleside, at the Parish Church, performed by the Chilingirian Quartet or the LDSM Academy Ensemble. (Arthur Bliss' piano quartet in A minor is on their program tomorrow night.) (Rudi Stephan's music for orchestra is in the Prom on August 17, along with a work by - I think the same Kelly whose variations for 2 pianos were discussed some while here!?!?...)

As noted already I think, Stenhammar sym. 2 will be performed August 23/24 @ Stockholm Concert Hall, cond. Blomstedt.

Myaskovsky quartet 13 in A minor (his last published work), in a concert September 8th at Beethoven-Haus, Bonn. :) (I love that quartet, myself. The new Borodin Quartet are the performers.) (Another concert by them in Bonn in early September will have quartets by Beethoven, Raykhelson, and Galynin.) Valery Gergiev is conducting works by Prokofiev, Janacek, and Myaskovsky (Myaskovsky: "other") on September 13th @ "De Doelen: Grote Zaal, Rotterdam", also (see Bachtrack.)

Ah, also, Laura Valborg Aulin's string quartet no.1 in F will be in a varied concert October 4 in Stockholm (see listing).

eschiss1

btw, @ewk, besides Atterberg's horn concerto in Freiburg in January 2015, his first symphony and nocturnes from the opera Fanal will be in concert (conducted by Neeme Järvi) in Gothenburg (+Svendsen's cello concerto!) on January 14 2015, too :)

And then on the 17th, Atterberg 9 (... erm, is one permitted to mention that particularly modern Atterberg work here? :) ), + "Vittorioso" (original finale to one of the other symphonies), + two works by Sibelius (same concert hall.)

On Feb. 12 2015 at the Grieghallen (according to "Bachtrack"), a work by a sung composer, Grieg, for mentioning which apologies: his withdrawn Symphony in C minor. Still not -so- sung and overperformed in concert (though it's now been recorded a few times and well, too- I like it, especially the scherzo...) - that I want to pass over it, though. :)  (+Svendsen, Saint-Saëns and Chabrier.)

Feb.26 2015: Pierné piano concerto, ONF (France- Paris?) (see here.) Juanjo Mena, conductor.

Ilja

Taking a bit of a calculated risk with the forum's remit, but I got this from the Koechlin mailing list:

QuoteI am pleased to announce that an excellent concert will take place at the Royal Festival Hall, London, on Thursday 26 February 2015 (see on site). The Royal College of Music Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Jac van Steen, will perform excerpts from Les Heures persanes op. 65 bis for orchestra by Charles Koechlin.

Other works on the programme:

• Marche gaie by Lili Boulanger - World creation of an orchestra version by Robert Orledge of a piece found in a private collection in the USA,
  • Deuxième Suite of Daphnis et Chloé by Ravel,
  • Le Sacre du printemps by Stravinsky.

Furthermore, the Septuor à vents op. 165 by Koechlin will be given at the end of a programme of French Music for wind instruments at Royal College of Music, on 3 February 2015.

Ilja

An addition:

On October 17th, the Gulbenkian Orchestra is to play Luís de Freitas Branco's Fourth Symphony as part of a programme that also includes Khatchaturian's Piano Concerto and Gayaneh Suite. The conductor is Pedro Neves:

http://www.musica.gulbenkian.pt/cgi-bin/wnp_db_dynamic_record.pl?dn=db_musica_season_2014_2015_pt&sn=coro_orquestra_gulbenkian&orn=35

Alan Howe

Now, that's taking a risk with the forum's remit  >:(

Ilja

Ah yes, I had confused the 4th for the 2nd in my head, it seems. Oops.

minacciosa

Has anyone wondered whether the forum's remit has become too narrow to allow for a proper definition of the term "Romantic"? If the late works of Frank Bridge are off limits, then by extension certainly that excludes all of Khatchaturian, Schreker, and countless other composers who stylistically resided upon the edge so to speak). It seems that the concerned term's definition is tortuously bent according to the needs of the forum's moment.

Alan Howe

I'm afraid it's inevitable that the definition is somewhat fuzzy. Given the extremely wide range of music discussed here, however - from the proto-romanticism of, say, Dussek, to late Schreker, whom we have discussed extensively on this forum - I don't think it can be argued that our remit is too narrow. As to whether the definition is "tortuously bent according to the needs of the forum's moment", we plead guilty and ask for tolerance of the subjective judgments involved.

minacciosa

Well, with prose so considered and elegant, who could resist!

Alan Howe

Thanks for your forbearance, John. Your presence here as conductor and soloist is, of course, of immense value to us.