News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Unsung concerts redux

Started by eschiss1, Tuesday 03 September 2013, 03:31

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Noticed this thread was asleep, and also noticed that a suite by d'Albert (Cinderella/Aschenputtel , op33) (Markus Frank conducting the Loh Orchester Sondershausen) was being performed in Sondershausen late this month - I can't be there, but it seemed worth the pointing out...

eschiss1

Oh, and also Järvi with another Atterberg symphony (no.5) in Gothenburg this January :) (with one of Haydn's less performed later symphonies, no.77, and Mozart's Sinfonia Concertante (for string soloists).)

In the halls of the Cracow Philharmonic (chamber concert), October 12 2013, in their schedule, I see listed just Zarebski, Taneev. The former I'm guessing is his piano quintet in G minor. The latter could be - a string chamber work, the piano trio, quartet, quintet - doesn't say. :)
(Bachtrack.com does list a performance in New York of the Zarebski piano quintet, to be given by the Jupiter Symphony Chamber Players, 3 March 2014, with works by Jadassohn (serenade, Op.80),  Paderewski, Minuet in G major, Op.14 no.1 (arranged by Eugene Gruenberg for string quartet)
Dobrzyński, Andante e Rondo alla Polacca, Op.42 (for flute and piano, the piano part transcribed by Stefan Kisielewski) and
Chopin's Grande Polonaise Brillante in E flat (arranged by Bartłomiej Kominek for piano quintet).

(They also list a performance of Taneev's piano quintet elsewhere - 27 October 2013, King's Place : Hall One, London, "London Chamber Music Society presents: Martinů Quartet with Olga Vinokur (Piano)", Mozart Piano quartet no.1, Martinů string quartet no.2, Taneev's quintet in G minor. See Bachtrack e.g.)

Also Stenhammar's 5th string quartet will be played the 23rd of this month by the Oslo String Quartet (in a concert of works by Mozart (first movement only of K.458), Stenhammar, Johanssohn, and ABBA) (ah well)  (part of the Fartein Valen festival; hopefully one of his quartets too shows up during the festival but getting back to the point) (in Haugesund and Sveio, Norway, at noon and 2pm on the same day - ... that's interesting.)

This could be good: the Brodsky Quartet plays Zemlinsky (the __very__ Romantic, Brahmsian (it reminds me of some Dvorak quartets too) quartet no.1 Op.4 in A major- not a hint of his later quizzicalness about this early work) and Beethoven's "least bad" work, his quartet (No.14) in C-sharp minor (now I have heard this live, and I am glad to be able to say that anyway- it is among the very favorite things for me in music...) - 13 October 2013, St Stephen's, Rosslyn Hill, London. Wonder if Radio 3 will broadcast? :) (part of the Hampstead Arts Festival (link to Bachtrack description, will find another link also...))

alberto

Redux in the literal sense, on 30th August, in Stresa, Italy, in a wonderful outdoor venue, I heard Berwald's Septet, performed by the Nash Ensemble (alongside Schubert and Beethoven).

eschiss1

Ludwig Meinardus, "König Salomo" (1863), in Moers, on October 13, 2013. (Hopefully this link isn't just a temporary session-id thing...) description in German.

Vocal Score, at IMSLP.

eschiss1

Also, Stenhammar Romances and Lindblad symphony 2 (with Andrée's Andante quasi recitativo and a modern work), (Tobias Ringborg as conductor and/or violinist?) - March 22 & 23 2014, Jonkopings Sinfonietta, Jonkoping, Spira. (See Ringborg's 2013-14 concert schedule.)

eschiss1

The Jupiter Chamber Players series continues with works by Lachner (Ignaz), "Die gute Alte Zeit" string trio Op.77; Fibich (piano and wind and string quintet, Op.42); and Mozart's "Linz" symphony as arranged by Hummel for chamber ensemble, next Monday the 14th in New York City - Good Shepherd-Faith Presbyterian Church, New York City, NY, 2pm and 7:30 pm Eastern Daylight Time. :)
(Jupiter Symphony)

eschiss1

Apologies if the following have been mentioned, or if they're considered too sung (I shouldn't think so... maybe by this forum's standards :) )

Gade's string quintet will be in a concert in Berlin (at the Nordische Botschaften?) on November 14th (with better-known works by Franck and Debussy.)

Vierne's piano quintet in Paris (Opéra Bastille), March 26 2014...

Fantasies, arrangements, etc. by Thalberg, Stevenson, Busoni, Liszt and Gounod - Cardiff University Concert Hall, January 28 2014.

Suk's early piano trio in C minor, London, Henrietta Barnett School, November 3
" - piano quartet in A minor- Lincoln Center, NYC, October 24
" - Symphony No.2 Asrael- BBC Hoddinott Hall, Cardiff, April 29 2014
" - Symphony No.2 -  Southbank Centre: Royal Festival Hall, London May 15 2014. (Guessing one of those might be a Proms performance? broadcast?...)

Spohr double quartet 1 & Enesco's octet - Nov 1 2013, Lincoln Center NY Alice Tully Hall (USA)
Spohr, Die letzten Dinge (The Last Things), Op.61 (+ a brief Hindemith work) - November 3 2013, Markuskirche, Hanover
Spohr, " Op61 - Mutterhauskirche der Franziskanerinnen (Mother House of the Franciscan Church), Münster (different ensemble from the above), Nov.17 2013

Skroup, Trio for Clarinet, Cello and Piano, Op.27 - Oct 18 2013, Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama, Cardiff (in a big 3-day Bohemian music festival. By Skroup I have seen or (but not and) heard only his first and part of another string quartet...)

Ooh, and Stenhammar "2nd" symphony being brought on tour conducted by Herbert Blomstedt various places...

Wheesht

Spohr's Die letzten Dinge is on HR 2 (Hessischer Rundfunk) tonight from 20.05 to 23.05 CET, a recording of the concert from 3 November 2013 with the Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie Bremen.

John 514tga

Marc-Andre Hamelin will do the Medtner Sonata in E minor, Op. 25, #2, at Smith College in Northampton, MA, on Friday, January 24.  I'll be there.  It will be interesting to see the audience reaction.  (For history buffs, Smith was the site of Rachmaninoff's American debut in 1909.)

eschiss1

There's a few interesting-ish (maybe) ones here and there-

*the Zelenski piano concerto's being performed today (the 28th) in Poznan, for instance.

*Franz Schmidt 2nd symphony in Milan Mar. 13 & 16 (Wayne Marshall/Sym. Milan Verdi), in London RAM Duke's Hall Mar. 28 (Bychkov/Academy SO), in Madrid Auditorio Nacional de Musica April 11-13 (Bychkov/Spanish National SO), Vienna Musikverein April 17-19 (Bychkov/Vienna PO).

*Paul Graener's prelude "Feierliche Stunde" Op.106 in April a few times in Dusseldorf.

mbhaub

Interesting to see Bychkov taking up the Schmidt 2nd. That's a good sign. After the death of his brother, Yakov Kleinberg, who loved the 4th, I was afraid there wasn't anyone left to promote Schmidt's symphonies. Hope he brings the 2nd to the studio and to a concert hall in the US.

Alan Howe

QuoteYakov Kleinberg

I'm sure you had Yakov Kreizberg in mind - don't worry: I had to check the spelling myself. Didn't know he was Bychkov's brother, though.

eschiss1

I think Kreizberg was his mother's maiden name from what I can gather from a few online sources hastily checked (Wikipedia, obituary in the Telegraph, etc.)

Ilja

QuoteInteresting to see Bychkov taking up the Schmidt 2nd. That's a good sign. After the death of his brother, Yakov Kleinberg, who loved the 4th, I was afraid there wasn't anyone left to promote Schmidt's symphonies. Hope he brings the 2nd to the studio and to a concert hall in the US.

On February 27 and 28, the HR Orchester (former RSO Frankfurt) performed Schmidt's Third, conducted by Paavo Järvi. Number two is to follow next year, I'm told.

edurban

You don't go to the Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center expecting to hear unsung Romantic repertoire (at least I don't) but there are a few novelties listed for the upcoming season:

Chausson: Trio, op. 3, 11/16/14

Taffanel: Wind Quintet of 1876, 11/18/14

Nielsen: Quartet No. 4 (played by the Danish String Quartet, naturally) 2/20/15

Vierne: Piano Quintet, Op.42 (1917-18), 11/13/14

and a great cello recital by Gary Hoffman (1/22/15), where Saint-Saens C minor is actually the most familiar item!

Saint-Saens: Cello Sonata No.1
Magnard: Cello Sonata in A
Boellmann: Cello Sonata Op.40

Best, David