Cliffe Symphony No.2 Recording Project

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 05 November 2014, 15:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Ilja

I'm doubtful, but it would certainly be great to have that recording.

Looking at Cliffe's output, my (entirely unresearched) impression is of a composer who, after a very strong start, experienced increasing problems to find inspiration for his music. Which perhaps explains why he stopped composing altogether relatively early.

eschiss1

Is Wikipedia right that there's only 3 years between these two symphonies? I was imagining decades from all this talk of a great falling-off...

Alan Howe

The three-year gap is correct. His Violin Concerto dates from 1896 and shows absolutely no falling-off of inspiration. The issue is confined to the two symphonies and concerns what the composer was trying to achieve in No.2.

Mark Thomas

I'd forgotten about the Violin Concerto - what a fine piece that is.

Ilja

I'm not all that fond of the concerto, but we'll put that down to my descent into grumpy old manhood and agree to disagree, I guess.

Alan Howe

I was only trying to make the point that Cliffe did write some worthwhile music after his 1st Symphony. The jury's probably out as regards Symphony No.2, but my view is that we should reserve judgment on that until a fully professional recording is released.

Ilja

Fair enough, and there are earlier examples (Stöhr's first symphony springs to mind) that show just how much a proper recording can lift a work.

... which is why I really hope someone can some day do justice to Rudorff's 2nd G major symphony.

Alan Howe

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly about that. We really do need to hear Rudorff's other symphonies.

terry martyn

Well, I am very happy that Chris Fifield has had the enterprise and dedication to record this work, as I am still of the personal view that this is the finest British symphony between Sullivan and Elgar. Maybe others would come to agree if it was taken up by a label such as cpo.

Alan Howe

I don't think that would be my view - yet.

Justin

I agree with Ilja regarding Edward German and believe that he was the late-romantic future (along with Roger Quilter) that Britain should have continued to follow, not Cliffe. Cliffe's second symphony just feels bloated to me without much in the way of melody, and I don't think a professional recording would do much to change my view.

Alan Howe

I wouldn't want to write off Cliffe 2 until it is recorded professionally. German's two symphonies are both splendid works, but less ambitious that either of Cliffe's symphonies; I'd also want to bring Arthur Hinton into the equation.

tuatara442442

I emailed Mr Fifield to ask about it but still haven't get a response more than 20 days latter :-\

Alan Howe

I'll PM anyone seeking to make contact with Mr Fifield.

tuatara442442

So, if I pay any of you initial funders the price you paid, will any of you send me the recording? Since I don't know if anyone is willing to sell a second-hand copy
If the booklet is copied, I'll be more grateful.