Graener Piano Concerto from cpo

Started by Mark Thomas, Thursday 11 December 2014, 08:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

cpo has announced the late January release of Paul Graener's Piano Concerto (soloist Oliver Triendl), together with his Sinfonietta for harp and strings, Three Swedish Dances and a Divertimento. More late-romantic wallowing, I hope. Preliminary details (but no sound bites) here.

Aramiarz

Excellent new! The last Cd in CPO with symphony in memoriam for his son's death (tragic event), I like very much

jerfilm

Are there any key signatures for any of these works?

Jerry

eschiss1

Hrm. Well, from jpc/cpo , "His Piano Concerto of neoclassical character and popular flair from 1926"...
The Divertimento in D can be viewed, I think, over at IMSLP (not by me -- it was first published in 1924, and renewed, so © applies - but in Europe.) See http://imslp.org/wiki/Divertimento,_Op.67_%28Graener,_Paul%29. So probably best to come to a decision oneself if one can :) (A piano duet reduction of the piano concerto is also @ IMSLP. Since that last was published in 1925 and presumably was not composed (mentis?) after 1925, the "from 1926" bit there befuddles me.
Yours easily befuddled,
ES

(Note: the http://imslp.org/wiki/Symphonietta_f%C3%BCr_Streichinstrumente_und_Harfe,_Op.27_%28Graener,_Paul%29 - symphonietta Op.27 - ah. Well, to answer your question: yes. First section starts in one sharp G major, though immediately with a lot of countervailing flats (at first, settling into a clearer G major 5 bars in). So key signatures and tonality in the Symphonietta? Yes- check link.

eschiss1

Hrm. Then again, not too surprisingly (after all, the one-movement Symphonietta was published in 1910) it may begin in G but it ends with a substantial coda that goes from E minor to E major. Wouldn't be surprised if he knew his Mahler (the strings & harp orchestration suggests the (now most famous movement of) the 5th, the tonal trajectory- in that very very broad way, not in detail...- suggests the 4th ;^) )

pianoconcerto

I downloaded the mp3 of the Graener piano concerto from two different vendors.  It is a very accessible, neoclassical work.  However, both of the downloads of the first movement, including the one from iTunes (USA), have the same bad glitches in the first movement (static noises & dropouts) between 3:26 and 3:42.  Has anyone downloaded a good mp3?  If so, from which vendor?  Thanks.

sdtom

Quote from: pianoconcerto on Monday 09 March 2015, 14:38
I downloaded the mp3 of the Graener piano concerto from two different vendors.  It is a very accessible, neoclassical work.  However, both of the downloads of the first movement, including the one from iTunes (USA), have the same bad glitches in the first movement (static noises & dropouts) between 3:26 and 3:42.  Has anyone downloaded a good mp3?  If so, from which vendor?  Thanks.

Why don't you give this one a try?
http://www.classicsonline.com/catalogue/product.aspx?pid=2354116
Tom :)

JeremyMHolmes

I had this likewise on the FLAC download from eclassical and just assumed it was my router having a bad moment or two! Good to know it was not my hardware, and if anything finds a fault-free FLAC file, let me know!

pianoconcerto

Thanks for the suggestion, but have you actually downloaded the file without glitches from classicsonline?  It is my understanding that that is the same as what is streamed online on Naxos Music Library, and the NML version has the same glitches.  I suspect the problem lies with the original file provided by cpo to all vendors, especially if it is found on mp3, m4a, and FLAC downloads.  Maybe someone connected to cpo will read this and check.  I wrote to iTunes to report the problem.

Mark Thomas

Don't bother with the ClassicsOnline download. It has the same faults. I can't say that the music did much for me so I wasn't moved enough to complain.

FBerwald

Does the ClassicsOnline come with the complete booklet notes?

Mark Thomas

According to the listing on their website, yes. In practice, no. Not for me at least. Again, I haven't pursued it with them (although their customer service is generally impeccable) because I wasn't very excited by the music when I heard it, and so it's a very low priority for me.

FBerwald

I asked because I have been burned in the past with regards to the Symphony [Vol. 2]. I got a pdf file that claimed to be the booklet but which infact was just 3 pages with just the track listings in details.

Mark Thomas

Didn't even get that this time. Just a jpg of the album cover. Generally I find ClassicsOnline to be an excellent retailer, with very good customer support. Indeed, they're my download provider of choice, but of course they are dependent on the product they get from the labels they sell. I suspect that cpo did a sub-optimal job here. As I say, luckily I was also less than inspired by Graener's music, but that's not the point, I appreciate.

sdtom

Quote from: FBerwald on Tuesday 10 March 2015, 03:24
Does the ClassicsOnline come with the complete booklet notes?

yes they do and they are sized correctly to fit into a CD jewel box. I listened to the first movement and heard three glitches which I'll find out about through my contact at Naxos this morning. CPO needs to repair the file for sure.
Tom :)