The Romantic Cello Concerto - Vol 7.

Started by FBerwald, Tuesday 07 July 2015, 19:02

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

as to Fitzenhagen, is there a recording of his string quartet?

JimL

The Gross, as I recall, was in B-flat minor, not B minor.  The biggest problem you are going to find is that a great number of 19th Century cello concertos are one-movement works in various formats, along the lines of the Volkmann.  Apparently, the cello concertos of Franz Neruda are fairly typical.  I believe the concertos (or at least the one I know of) by Franchomme are a representative example.  There are, however more substantial works by Adrien-François Servais, but the first two (the second of which is a one-movement Morceau de Concert) have been recorded (there is a YT video of the Op. Posth. A minor Concerto by Seeli Toivio).  Unrecorded is his very substantial Concerto Militaire in C minor.  Very often, if they are 3 movement works, the first movement is truncated, as in the Servais works or the 1st Concerto by Karl Davydov.  The Fitzenhagen 2nd follows the same general outline, although a case can be made that it is a one-movement work with new material mixed with recapitulations from previous sections in the final one.

Alan Howe

But there are some (already recorded) by more substantial composers, e.g. Raff, Rubinstein, Herbert, Gernsheim, Dietrich, etc. So, are there any others, i.e. not by cello virtuosos?

QuoteThe Gross, as I recall, was in B-flat minor, not B minor

The CD says 'h-moll', i.e. B minor - not B flat minor, Jim. It's the best piece on the disc, but that's not saying much.

JimL

Ah.  I saw it mentioned as B-flat minor.  Thanks for the heads up.

Alan Howe

OK, but it's easy enough to check by clicking on images of the rear inlay of the CD.

eschiss1

In part I was asking because @ IMSLP we have parts of another concerto of his (Gross...), in D minor (early Romantic.) ( & another, in G minor, in arrangement, though perhaps the score & parts are somewhere - FLP, elsewhere?...) But if the B minor was unpromising... ah well!!!

Gareth Vaughan

The Hungarian Jewish composer, Jacob Gyula Major, about whom I have written before on this forum, wrote concerti for piano, violin and cello, one of each. Fleisher has a copy of the full score only of the cello concerto , no parts. I don't think there are recordings of all of Klengel's cello concertos, and I certainly think the Foote should be investigated. Hans Sitt wrote two, Thierot wrote at least one, as did Molique and Svendsen, both of which are IMHO extremely beautiful. Godard also wrote a piece for cello and orchestra but it's not a concerto. Can't remember what it's called now. Oh, and a Konzertstuck by Ferdinand Hiller.

Alan Howe

That's the sort of list I meant - thanks, Gareth.

jdperdrix

And a piece I sadly miss... It used to be a favourite in French concert halls until the 60's, then it has disappeared. There used to be recordings, one by Paul Tortelier that can be found on youtube.
It's Boellmann's "Variations symphoniques". About 12 minutes . Beautiful and ideal for filling a CD.

Gareth Vaughan

I second the Boellmann. Should have mentioned it in my post.

Alan Howe

eschiss1

I'm curious too about Ropartz's Adagio for cello and orchestra, score @ IMSLP, score and parts @ Fleisher. (Both sources also have his rhapsody for cello and orchestra, published 1928, again score at IMSLP, score and parts at Fleisher...)

Gareth Vaughan

I note that Thieriot wrote four cello concertos, but I do not know how many of these are extant.

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Prof. Zielke may have a good idea as to the answer to that question in any case (of course, some may be extant that he doesn't know about, but he's edited into- I presume- playability many of Thieriot's works and might be considered an expert on the composer. I think he can be contacted @ IMSLP on the discussion page of "Wiki03", or in other ways...