The Romantic Cello Concerto - Vol 7.

Started by FBerwald, Tuesday 07 July 2015, 19:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth Vaughan

Yes, I noticed Zielke's edition of the Konzertstuck. As far as I can make out I think the University of Hamburg Thieriot archive has full scores, and maybe parts for two of his cello concertos. I think they have only piano scores for the others, but Zielke is an expert on Thieriot and may know where the performance material for the others can be found.

jdperdrix

Ropartz's "Rhapsodie" is performed by Henri Demarquette on a Timpani CD (with other orchestral works).

Alan Howe

Just re-auditioning Fitzenhagen CC2 on Oehms. I'm afraid it's no great shakes as a piece of music: there are some powerful moments, but they sound rather incongruous in the context of a virtuoso showpiece. Certainly worth recording, but there must be better stuff than this...

jerfilm

Americans - in addition to Foote, G F Boyle, C M Loeffler and Henry Hadley all apparently wrote cello concertos......

J

edurban

Hadley, I believe is a one movement concertpiece (I have the piano/cello score).  Loeffler, as I believe we have discussed before, seems to be lost...

David

Simon

I would be curious to hear Fritz Kauffmann Op. 29, score available at IMSLP. I would expect some Brahms influence there.

minacciosa

The Frederick Stock Cello Concerto would be a fantastic entry, as would George Frederick McKay's Concerto.

chill319

QuoteI'd love to hear the Foote Concerto with a 1st class soloist and orchestra

Hear, hear! And played with élan.

Christopher

Personally I would like to hear the Vassili Zolotarev concerto.  Allegedly it has been recorded on a 78 in 1943 on a Soviet label called Radio Tower - Alexandr Stogorsky with the Moscow Regional Symphony Orchestra under Grigori Gamburg....

Gareth Vaughan

Do you know the whereabouts of the Mckay and Stock concertos? They are not in Fleisher.

cypressdome

Gareth Vaughan

Alan Howe

By McKay I assume we mean G. F. McKay. His music, though excellent, would be beyond UC's remit - as would, say, Walton's or Barber's. The test: would Hyperion consider his music for their RCC series? I can't see it...

minacciosa

McKay's music is firmly within the Walton or Barber/Flagello order. Much of his music is published, but many larger works are not, though they are readily available from the family publishing firm. I have the material for the Cello Concerto, and will be happy to forward a score.

Alan Howe

Thanks. Very good of you. But, as I said, this won't be suitable for Hyperion's Romantic Cello Concerto series. Let's hope they might record it anyway.

Returning to the RCC series...