The Romantic Cello Concerto - Vol 7.

Started by FBerwald, Tuesday 07 July 2015, 19:02

Previous topic - Next topic

FBerwald

Hyperion has just announced its planned October Release in the Romantic Cello Concerto Series that seems to be finally picking up speed.

The Romantic Cello Concerto - Vol 7  -  Fitzenhagen & Tchaikovsky

Wilhelm Fitzenhagen
Cello Concerto No 1 in B minor, Op. 2
Cello Concerto No 2 in A minor 'Fantastique', Op. 4
Ballade 'Concertstück', Op. 10
Resignation 'Ein geistliches Lied ohne Worte', Op. 8

Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
Variations on a Rococo theme, Op. 33  [arr. Fitzenhagen]

Alban Gerhardt (cello), Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin, Stefan Blunier (conductor)

Looks quite interesting. If the manuscripts survive, I hope they get around to the other 2 concerto's as well

Alan Howe

It'll be well done, I'm sure. Question is - is the music any good? (I didn't think much of No.2 on Oehms - very small beer.)

Excerpts here:
http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDA68063

Alan Howe

Are there any romantic-era cello concertos of substance that ought to be recorded?

ewk

does anyone know what exactly is Fitzenhagen's arrangement in the Tchaikovsky? i just wondered because the original is already for Cello and orchestra.

regards,
ewk

minacciosa

Once you get past Dvorak and Saint-Saens, I think the best cello concertos are all 20th century products.

edurban

I'd love to hear the Foote Concerto with a 1st class soloist and orchestra.  And I adore Cadman's A Mad Empress Remembers, though I've only heard it in the cello and piano version.  I remember Douglas Moore telling me there were severe balance problems between solo and orchestra...something that could perhaps be addressed in the studio.

David

Alan Howe

What about Emanuel Moór?>>

Cello Concerto No.1 in E minor, Op.61 (1905) - pub. Siegel
Cello Concerto No.2, Op.64 (1906) - pub. Siegel
Rhapsody in G minor, Op.78 (1908?) - pub. Mathot
Largo, Op.105 (1914) - pub. Mathot
Rhapsody No.2 in A major (1911), no opus no. - MS
Ballade in E major (1914) - no opus no. - pub. Mathot

FBerwald

@ewk, The "arrangement" is that Fitzenhagen rearranged the sequence of the variations and omitting Var. no. 8 altogether + some added passage-works I think..

TB

Concerning the Moor pieces: You're probably aware that there already is a recording available of Cello Concerto No.2 op.64 coupled with his Concerto for two Celli op.68 and the Prelude for Cello and Orchestra op.123. It was released last year on the Hungaroton label. See here for more details:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/moor-cello-concertos/hnum/5300137

I think this release has been covered here in another thread sometime before it was available.

Alan Howe

QuoteAlan - it was No.2 on Oehms - not No.1

Thanks - can't have been focusing properly. I have the CD on my desk next to me! Duly corrected!

QuoteConcerning the Moor pieces: You're probably aware...

Indeed I am aware of this. My point was simply that there are surely more substantial CCs around than these Fitzenhagen pieces - certainly enough for a CD featuring one composer's works.

The recent recording of Reinecke's CC is proof that there is much hidden which is yet to be properly explored. Draeseke's Symphonic Andante would be another piece far more worthy of recording than these much slighter virtuoso pieces...

eschiss1

I forget- how did people find/regard the B minor cello concerto by JB Gross on a recent CD on which the other two works were by Rietz?

britishcomposer

eschiss1

also with Moór a fair number of double and triple concertos :)
(Op.105- 1914 is the publication date of an arrangement. The work in its orchestral form is not published, and its composition date is not, I think, known. For all -I- know, the cello/piano version might be the original, perhaps the ms orchestral version could be the arrangement and dating from after 1914, and the matters the other way around... though the Stiftung worklist suggests otherwise... but in any case that should also say "ms", not Mathot. I don't think Mathot or anyone else publishes the Ballade in E- stiftung has it as "manuscript" and Worldcat agrees.
The Prélude pour violoncelle et orchestre on that CD mentioned, was someone's - not Moór's, I'm guessing- orchestration of the cello and piano prelude of the same opus no.)