Main Menu

Violin Concerto Wishlist!

Started by FBerwald, Saturday 30 May 2009, 15:46

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

Quote from: eschiss1 on Tuesday 24 August 2010, 18:00
Quote from: FBerwald on Monday 23 August 2010, 19:35
Quote from: JimL on Wednesday 14 July 2010, 06:05
Can anyone tell me if Stanford's 2nd VC exists in full score, or just in violin/piano reduction?

There is always a little  bit of confusion about the number of concertos he wrote. Here are his concertos for violin listed by Groves
(1) Violin Concerto (early, 1875)
(2) Violin Concerto in D major, Op. 74
(3) Violin Concerto No. 2 in G minor, Op.162 (1918)

The D major Op.74  concerto was recorded by hyperion. The G minor Op.162 I believe exists in piano reduction as is the case with the 3rd(4th in order of composition) piano concerto Op. 171!
Hrm.  Had read that the op.171 was completed, not orchestrated, but you may be right... as to op.162, came across this Pierpont Morgan Library reference for the reduced (manuscript as noted) score- it may have been completed September 20 1918 (to quote the summary OCLC/Worldcat provides, of course one can go to PML's library catalog also -

'At the end: "CV Stanford / Sep[?] 20 [19]18."')
Eric (no idea where the scores of opp 20 (cello conc.) and 171 are about- maybe the British Library, maybe private collections...)
The only Stanford Cello Concerto I know of was the one recorded on Lyrita with Geoffrey Bush's orchestration of the Op. 171 PC.  I could have sworn that the Hyperion liner notes for the Op. 74 concerto said that there was a full score of the G minor concerto somewhere, but I could be mistaken...

eschiss1

That's the Stanford cello concerto I meant- I may have misremembered the opus # off the top of my head. Again, not sure where the score or reduced score is though :) (and apologies for digression from violin concerto topic. I assume someone's mentioned Sinding's 2nd and 3rd concertos?)

JimL

Stanford's Cello Concerto is an early work, and like most if not all of his early and student efforts, he suppressed it.  It is without an opus number.  I think the full score was at Cambridge, or perhaps at the RAM. 

tcutler

The only thing I can tell you about a possible Jenner Violin Concerto comes from this link

http://books.google.com/books?id=FNJ6Ua9iaUoC&pg=PA262-IA12&lpg=PA262-IA12&dq=gustav+jenner+violin+concerto&source=bl&ots=v1WptKZsWX&sig=X9KYZ1J_4DvtJhn9a7jPruM9Gyk&hl=en&ei=1dt0TPGpFYy3ngf3ttDGBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CBkQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=gustav%20jenner%20violin%20concerto&f=false

Read the first paragraph of the Vienna, March 15, 1906 report, and it mentions a Jenner Violin Concerto in E-flat. I haven't looked any further on the topic yet.

Alan Howe

It's curious. I can find no reference to a Jenner VC anywhere. Of course, his 3rd Violin Sonata is also in E flat, so it might be an error. However, it is intriguing, I must admit...

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteOne VC which I would very much like to hear would be that in A major, Op.20 from 1902 by Leone Sinigaglia (1868-1944) - according to Toskey a 40-minute work.

The British Libray has full score, violin part and piano score of this work. I note the library holds 2 copies of the piano/violin score + part, so one of these may be borrowable via inter-library loan.

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Most Google Books  links btw need only be quoted up to the page mark - for example, in the case of the Jenner-related link recently,

http://books.google.com/books?id=FNJ6Ua9iaUoC&pg=PA262-IA12

does as well (though it omits the search term highlighting.) This allows them to be made more brief :) Anyhow, thanks! (And I note with interest the reference to Robert Fuchs' violin sonata in E, too ;) )
Eric

Mark Thomas

Unfortunately, Google restricts many Google Books full displays to the US,. We Europeans aren't allowed to see more than the book title.

tcutler

I also wondered if the Jenner reference to a violin concerto might be a mistake. It reminds me of a passage from either the Emery or Toskey violin encyclopedias in which it claims Massenet wrote a violin concerto. Tantalizing, but unfortunately untrue. Massenet planned to write a violin concerto, but it never ended up happening.

Anyone familiar with the music of Jenner? Is it worth a listen?

Alan Howe

I have a few CDs of Jenner's music - it is unfailingly generous and well-written, but, of course, very Brahmsian. I'd recommend the violin sonatas on Divox - audio excerpts here...
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Gustav-Jenner-Violinsonaten-Nr-1-3/hnum/3944741
No.3, which may have been the 'concerto' mentioned, is particularly lovely.

FBerwald

Quote from: tcutler on Thursday 26 August 2010, 10:50
I also wondered if the Jenner reference to a violin concerto might be a mistake. It reminds me of a passage from either the Emery or Toskey violin encyclopedias in which it claims Massenet wrote a violin concerto. Tantalizing, but unfortunately untrue. Massenet planned to write a violin concerto, but it never ended up happening.

Anyone familiar with the music of Jenner? Is it worth a listen?

Oh please ???  Lets NOT go into the whole mistaken encyclopedia entries... I once (much earlier on this forum) went on a wild goose chase (along with a whole bunch eager members) behind Glasunov's alleged "Violin concerto in A MAjor Op. 77" as mentioned in Groves Dictionary. As it turned out Groves had royally screwed up when they printed that bit of info in Glazunov's list of compositions!!!!! .... :o :o :o I still have nightmares about it!! :o :o :o

PS: I really hope Groves was right as I love Glazunov and would love another violin concerto by him ..... like I waited years  ;D for the Bortkiewicz Piano concerti No  2 and 3 ...and  ::) ::) still waiting for the Goldmark Violin concerto No 2 (which I am sure exists in Manuscript  :-\ somewhere!!!!)

Mark Thomas

I've removed three posts about the lady who is refusing access to Sterndale Bennett manuscripts. Just remember that, as owner of this site, I'm held responsible for what is said here. Even if it's meant to be funny....

JimL

Wow!  That third one must have been a doozy!

Pengelli

Indeed there are all sorts of legal ramifications now.