News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Violin Concerto Wishlist!

Started by FBerwald, Saturday 30 May 2009, 15:46

Previous topic - Next topic

britishcomposer

I would love to hear Robin Milford's VC op.47 of 1937. Dutton has done so much putting the minor masters back on the map. When will they start with Milford?

tcutler

"Today, in a confirmation email of my purchase of their CD of Brüll's Symphony, David Kant-Watson of Cameo Classics advises that in June they will record the Brüll Violin Concerto.  It should be available in August, coupled with Serenades by Jadassohn."

Anyone know if/when this CD will be released? Thanks!

dhibbard

well .. well.... I see that BIS is releasing in March the much anticipated Borgstrom Violin Concerto.    Can't wait:
http://bis.se/performers/hemsing-eldbjorg/borgstrom-and-shostakovich-violin-concertos

Alan Howe

Much anticipated? By whom exactly? Although I had noticed the release, there was no great sense of expectation on my part as the work has already been recorded...
https://www.mdt.co.uk/borgstrom-violin-concerto-symphonic-poems-batstrand-mortensen-norrlandsoperan-boye-simax.html
...and discussed on this forum:
http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,446.msg6089.html#msg6089
In any case, the new release has an entirely inappropriate coupling. The performance would have to be super-special to entice me into a purchase...

Gareth Vaughan

I must say I am largely in agreement with Alan. I have the Simax CD - and I think it is pretty good. I certainly wouldn't mind hearing a different performance of the Borgstrom VC, but there are (for me, at least) some recordings I would like to buy first. I also agree that, while I personally like Shostakovich, it does seem an odd coupling.

Wheesht

As an avid collector of Norwegian music, I wonder how I could have missed the Simax release, and now here is another recording of the concerto that I wasn't aware of. I'll probably give this new release a try. I attended a concert by the soloist's elder sister, Ragnhild Hemsing, a while back, and was impressed by her playing. The two sisters can be seen in an interesting, IMHO, documentary in which they search for the tone of Ole Bull:
https://vimeo.com/18657045
(also on YT)

eschiss1

That said, 9 years later, our "wishlist" of the OP[ost] isn't doing so badly (of course could be better, but "not so badly" isn't supposed to mean great). All 3 Sinding concertos are recorded at least once each, there's a fine recording of the 2 by Gernsheim, there're 2 [edit: 1, my mistake.] of the Reinecke... not sure how many new recordings have come out of the Conus, but that was the one work on the list that had been recorded a few times already, I thought... - the Holbrooke's been recorded once with full orchestra and twice with piano, I believe there's one or two recordings of the Lyapunov, one and a third of the Brüll...

may be time for a new "wishlist" (though as per revised policy on lists, something to say on each item before it goes on a list) - yes? no? wthamIthinking?

Alan Howe

Quotethere're 2 of the Reinecke

Chapter and verse, please, Eric!

eschiss1

Hrm. For some reason I thought there was one on Claves too. You're right, there's just the Reinecke violin concerto recording on cpo. (cpo: Violin concerto & symphony 1. Signum: Harp concerto & symphony 3. Claves: Harp concerto & flute concerto? Ok, 6 degrees of Reinecke concertos and confuzzled Eric. Mrfle. Edit: though v'oddly, Kevin Bacon is -not- credited with any of them. A curious omission.)

eschiss1

most of the rest of the initial list seems to have done ok too (the Hahn is available @ Maguelone as of 2013. The Bortkiewicz @ Dutton...  both Mlynarski concertos are now on Hyperion. Same I think with the Haydn Wood? (The apparent non-existence or at least total disappearance of the remaining item, the Goldmark no.2, has militated somewhat against its gravitating to the top 10 charts even with the other weirdness this year. Somewhat to my surprise.)

Alan Howe

eschiss1

On that initial list, maybe the other two Accolay concertos.
Of the list you posted next - Dubois, Thieriot, ... the Dubois was recorded in 2011 or so, the Scharwenka - now reissued in study score - has not I think been recorded yet and neither have any (most?) of Thieriot's concertos, not yet some of these others (Moór, Marteau, Litolff, Huber, Becker) - but of the violin concertos on your list the Sinigaglia, d'Erlanger, Cliffe, Stojowski (as well as the Dubois yes) have been recorded...

as to http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,59.msg2184.html#msg2184 we've recently noted two recordings of the Borgstrom (good news); there are also recordings of the d'Erlanger, Gernsheim, Holbrooke, Jongen, Kuyper (recorded in 2014)- the others, it seems, notsomuch? (No recording of the Berg noted at Levandes Musikarchiv or found @ Worldcat, fwiw.) Assuming Heintze is Heintze the younger, no recording of his B minor concerto noted at LM either. Will check Worldcat eg though...

Gareth Vaughan

I was not aware the Sinigaglia VC had been recorded, Eric. Do you know by whom and where I can obtain a copy?

Gareth Vaughan

Ah, yes. Sorry - correction. There it is: historic recording by Alfonso Mosesti (violin) with Orchestra Sinfonica di Roma della RAI, coupled with VC by Illersberg. Must try and get that disk.

Alan Howe