News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Violin Concerto Wishlist!

Started by FBerwald, Saturday 30 May 2009, 15:46

Previous topic - Next topic

FBerwald

Yikes!! Never wanted to open a can of worms ... Actually since i didn't read the others........ Sorry anyways!!!!

Alan Howe

Just to back up Mark, members must take due note of the fact that this is a publicly accessible forum, not merely some sort of ring-fenced private club. That means that Mark and I have to take very seriously postings which might give offence or might actually be legally actionable. It is a full-time job and we greatly appreciate your co-operation in pursuing discussions which are robust, but gentlemanly - and which do not leave us vulnerable to criticism or even action by anyone who happens to come across the forum and takes justifiable exception to anything posted.

Mark Thomas

eschiss1

Quote from: tcutler on Saturday 01 January 2011, 13:51
One violin concerto on my wishlist would be Wieniawski's unpublished A-minor Concerto of 1878. I can find hardly anything about this alleged composition. Did Wieniawski finish it? Where is the manuscript? Or is this just an urban legend? Does anyone have information on this piece?
Apparently (according to a hint given by the snippet-view at Google?) some evidence that it might have existed is provided by Edmund Grabkowski in his 1986 book on Wieniawski, based on contemporary clippings of a premiere of the work on December 27 of that year.  A book (magazine?) "Polish music: Polnische Musik" from 1985 reports the same (in German), reporting that it was in Moscow. (I believe this was his last concert tour, perhaps one of his last concerts.)
Eric

patmos.beje

Arthur Benjamin's 1932 Violin Concerto is a superb piece and deserves a modern digital recording.  I know it from two radio recordings (one BBC and the other Australian radio).  It is sparsely orchestrated, late romantic in style and its music is more attractive and memorable, in my opinion, than his later piano concerto. 

alberto

I apologize if, as a newcomer, I read here and there past posts (taking interest in them, and sometimes thinking I have something to add, even if late).
In reply 46 I read about an interest in the Violin Concerto by Leone Sinigaglia. I heard (and saw) a live performance about  twenty five years ago (Vadim Brodsky was performing). I remember the agreable Concerto as one not on a very large scale; I would say it was a little shorter than half an our.
I would like, as a wished priority, a modern recording of both the two "Danze Piemontesi" op.31 of 1905.
Arthur Fiedler recorded the first with the Boston Pops (that was -I suppose-a legacy of Alfredo Casella work as conductor in Boston, like the Minuetto by Giovanni Bolzoni, which, also recorded by Fiedler, was recorded again in the '90s by N.Jaarvi in Detroit).

febnyc

Today, in a confirmation email of my purchase of their CD of Brüll's Symphony, David Kant-Watson of Cameo Classics advises that in June they will record the Brüll Violin Concerto.  It should be available in August, coupled with Serenades by Jadassohn.

Alan Howe

That's good news. Another mid-Romantic VC gap filled. Hopefully!

Gareth Vaughan

Yes. This is indeed the plan. Michael Laus, the conductor of the Malta Philharmonic Orchestra, has been working on an edition, using original MS sources. The MPO are a superior band to the Belarusians and Karelians and they certainly play well for Maestro Laus - so I am keeping my fingers crossed that all will go according to plan.  recently recorded with MPO for Cameo are: Holbrooke: Pierot & Poerette Suite for Strings; Robin Milford: Suite for oboe & strings; Cyril Scott: Harpsichord Concerto, and Alexander Mackenzie's Symphonic Poem "La Belle Dame Sans Merci".  Among other works planned for reciording with the MPO are Walter Gaze Cooper's Concertino for oboe & strings, Bantock's "Macbeth", Septimus Kelly's Serenade for Flute, with accompaniment of Horn, Harp and strings and Maurice Blower's Horn Concerto.

Alan Howe

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Sunday 10 April 2011, 21:46The MPO are a superior band to the Belarusians and Karelians

I'm glad to hear that. I trust that the band will have the heft in the string department missing in certain other CC releases...

petershott@btinternet.com

Some heft is better than no heft, say I. There are some lovely things in the above to which I look forward (with a strong degree of heft!)

eschiss1

German authors believe strongly in Heft I and Heft II, yes *flees* sorry

JimL

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Sunday 10 April 2011, 21:46Yes. This is indeed the plan. Michael Laus, the conductor of the Malta Philharmonic Orchestra, has been working on an edition, using original MS sources.
Weren't you working on an edition, Gareth?  Did you provide any input for this project?  Hopefully, it will be well engineered, 'cause if it's well-received, I'll snap it up.  Who's the soloist?

eschiss1

Does anyone know what state Vitezslav Novak's violin concerto is in, if it still exists? I only recently learned there was one. A CD of his piano and violin concertos with any needed filler perhaps might be interesting, or something along those lines...

eschiss1

Some of the Kalliwoda violin concertinos apparently have been recorded by Willens and the Kölner Akademie, and will be released soon? It's on the latter's website. Couplings are Kalliwoda overtures. (cpo apparently.)