New thread for upcoming interesting 2018 Romantic unsung concerts

Started by eschiss1, Tuesday 19 December 2017, 05:18

Previous topic - Next topic

MartinH

And locally, the Phoenix Symphony is doing one thing that really surprised me: the first symphony of Florence Price, in April, 2019.

gnicholls

May I bring to your attention an excellent series featuring some of Canada's most outstanding string players.

5 At The First Chamber Players
    String Extravaganza VII

Yehonatan Berick & Csaba Koczo, violin
Caitlin Boyle & Theresa Rudolph, viola
Alastair Eng & Rachel Mercer, cello

Program includes:
Arensky String Quartet No. 2 in a minor for violin, viola & 2 celli
Dohnanyi String Sextet in B flat major

Saturday, March 31, 2018 @ 3:00 pm
First Unitarian Church
170 Dundurn Street South
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

eschiss1

Neat, another performance of Dohnanyi's early string sextet!
Another work by Arensky- his piano quintet- will be performed, along with (I assume the later version of, though they have "H 49" which means the earlier??) Frank Bridge's piano quintet, on March 9th in London @ Regent Hall.
Arensky's string quartet no.2 is being performed also @ the Tonhalle Maag in Zürich on March 12th (with Enesco's lovely and ebullient (not to mention just a bit wonderfully zany) string octet, and Sandor Veress' string trio) - and the Arensky again on March 17th @ the Mahaiwe Performing Arts Center, Great Barrington Massachusetts (US) with the -first- quartet of Tchaikovsky and the -third- of Shostakovich (in numerical order, it seems- Tchaik 1, Arens 2, Shost 3. I've only heard the Shostakovich live of those three, I believe- not positive.)  (Then his -quintet- gets another airing @ the Jupiter Symphony Chamber Players' March 19 concert with Grechaninov's first clarinet sonata and other works (Shostakovich first trio, Glière 3rd sextet) but I believe I've mentioned that. Great series, theirs.) Anyhow, good year for Arensky fans.

(I was thinking it must be some sort of anniversary. Maybe. Yesterday -was- the 100th anniversary of Emil Sjögren's death...)

Double-A

eschiss1

No, I was joking. Made the whole thing up just to see if anyone was reading.

Their website. (German)

eschiss1

Twice tonight in NYC a concert with Reynaldo Hahn's (1921) piano quintet in F-sharp minor (also Hummel's 1802 quintet in E-flat minor).

semloh

Hahn's (1921) piano quintet in F-sharp minor (also Hummel's 1802 quintet in E-flat minor)

What a wonderful concert programme, Eric....

eschiss1

I almost went- was too tired after a long day and downstate bus ride though.

Gareth Vaughan

Tuesday 12th June at St Paul's Church, Knightsbridge, London: Chamber Concert in aid of the St Lazarus Charitable Trust (Leprosy)
Rachmaninov: Trio Élégiaque No.1 in G minor; Roger Sacheverell Coke: Elegiac Trio in C minor Op. 32; Schubert: Trio in E flat D929
Simon Callaghan – piano
Jamie Campbell – violin
Karel Bredenhorst – cello
Tickets: £25 & £15 available from the parish website: https://www.stpaulsknightsbridge.org/2018/04/05/lazarusconcert-june2018/

eschiss1

Fairly sure I didn't see mentioned?
Taneiev, L'Orestie (overture, not the opera, unfortunately),

May 31st (and 1 June and 2 June), 2018 | San Francisco, CA (United States of America), Davies Symphony Hall , Semyon Bychkov conducting, per Schott's website calendar.

alberto

On the 18 May 2019 Herbert Blomstedt will conduct Stenhammar Second Symphony with the Berliner Philharmoniker in Berlin.
(BTW about reply 18 the Tonhalle Maag exists in Zurich; it is a smallish hall, other than the famous Tonhalle Zurich).

nklamun

I just saw that Atterberg's symphony #4 ("Sinfonia piccola") is being given what appears to be its U.S. premier in West St. Paul, Minnesota by the East Metro Symphony Orchestra this Sunday, May 20th, with a second performance in Minneapolis on Wednesday, May 23rd.

Also on the program is Alfvén's Swedish Rhapsody #1 ("Midsommarvaka"), as well as some music by contemporary composers.

(The East Metro Symphony Orchestra is a community orchestra based in the Twin Cities area.)

http://emsorch.org/concerts/save-the-date
https://patch.com/minnesota/woodbury/emso-presents-svensk-musik-och-dans-swedish-music-dance

mahesi

Our local symphony Orchestra (Argovia Philharmonic) has in 2018/2019 several concerts with British Music. The reason is that Douglas Bostock will leave the orchestra after 18 years.
Some really unsung compositions: Pagan Symphony (Bantock), Organ Sonata (Elgar, instr. Jacob), Symphonic Variations (Parry) and in Switzerland also seldom heard The Sea  (Bridge), In a Summer Garden (Delius), Somerset Rhapsody (Holst), The Perfect Fool (Ballet Music, Holst)
https://www.argoviaphil.ch/

Alan Howe

Most of those pieces aren't heard all that often here in the UK either!

Gareth Vaughan