New thread for upcoming interesting 2018 Romantic unsung concerts

Started by eschiss1, Tuesday 19 December 2017, 05:18

Previous topic - Next topic

ewk

The Opera house in Freiburg (Germany), providing us with quite a bunch of unsung music in the past, has published its 2018/19 season. It will include:

César Franck: Hulda (staged, seems to be a German première)
Schreker: Das Spielwerk und die Prinzessin (concertante,  Naxos recording planned)
Albéric Magnard: 1st Symphony 16.10.2018
Zemlinsky: Sinfonietta 4.6.2019
Jean Cras: string trio
Chausson: Chanson perpétuelle 14.10.2018
Magnard: wind+piano quintet 10.3.2019
Caplet, Le mort de la masque rouge 12.5.2019

The SWR Symphony orchestra (Stuttgart/Freiburg) will play Julius Rietz' Clarinet Concerto in December 2018;
Thuille sextet winds+piano op. 6 in June 2019

Best wishes from Freiburg, ewk

eschiss1

The Zemlinsky btw is definitely one of his later works (though I actually somewhat - though not always (one wants to hear what one wants to hear, when one wants to hear it) - prefer those later works, the last two string quartets for example...)
Cras' string trio (in A) dates from spring 1926. (I'm told it's quite a good work.)

eschiss1

Several other Caplet works are being performed, including the same 1908 Masque of the Red Death (Le masque de la mort rouge, not Le mort de la masque rouge)- based on Poe's story - August 26 @ Abbatiale Saint-Robert, Place de l'Echo, La Chaise-Dieu, Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes, France.

On August 11 @ Orbec, Normandy, concert with two works by Caplet including his 1900 "Viens! Une flûte invisible"(also works by Stravinsky, Debussy, Delage).

eschiss1

One other thing... has someone mentioned Venzago/Christoph Croisé, Raff first cello concerto @ Kursaal Bern on June 23 & 24 (also see BachTrack again?)

FBerwald

Christoph Croisé to play Raff's Second Cello Concerto as well - Musiksommer am Zürichsee September 08 with Camerata Schweiz and conductor Giovanni Bria according to the Cellist's website.

alberto

In Torino 11/9/18 Henry Duparc "Aux Etoiles" (orch. Fil. di Torino, cond. G.Pretto)
               1/2/19 Giuseppe Martucci Piano Concerto n.2                     
                          Leone Sinigaglia Hora mystica for strings, Romanza for horn and strings (G.Albanese, piano,     
                          Orchestra Sinfonica Nazionale RAI, cond.James Conlon)
              14/3/19 Ernest Guiraud "Chasse Fantastique" (Orch.RAI, cond. C-.Carydis)
               3/4/19  Rita Strohl Sonate dramatique "Titus and Berenice" for Cello and piano (E.Moreau, D.Kadouch,
                           who will perform the work in seceral cities)

nklamun

I just found that the Northampton Symphony Orchestra in the UK will be playing Charles Villiers Stanford's 6th Symphony (In Memoriam G.F. Watts) on June 16th. Short notice, but perhaps it will be of interest to those in the area. One of Stanford's best works, in my view.
http://nso.org.uk/concerts.html

eschiss1

I noticed (for the first time today) that Stanford's 6th received a (limited, and first) publication a few years ago btw (private publication by Scott Miller, 2003). Interesting. (His first and second remain in manuscript, iirc, but now the rest have been published in some way.)

hyperdanny

In Turin (Italy) , on fri 1st and sat 2nd February 2019, the gorgeous Piano Concerto n.2 by Martucci will get an outing, played by the Orchestra Nazionale della RAI under their Music director, James Conlon.
Soloist will be Giuseppe Albanese.

hyperdanny

Interesting things here in Milan for the incoming season:
Sat , October 27 , 2018, the Poznan Philharmonic Orchestra will be guest at the Auditorium di Milano for an all Polish music concert featuring the Wieniawski violin concerto n.2 . Soloist will be Kim Bomsari, conducted by Lukasz Borowicz, whose cd outings lately feature quite often in my purchase lists.

Always at the Auditorium di Milano, by the Orchestra Sinfonica di Milano Giuseppe Verdi (the resident orchestra there):
On fri 23rd and sun 25th November 2018, the Gounod symphony n.1 , conducted by Patrick Fournillier
On ven 11th and sun 13 January 2019, the mighty Schmidt 4, conducted by Claus Peter Flor, a special highlight for me, since I never heard the work live.

vesteel

If google translate is correct:
A few days ago the Bern Symphony Orchestra performed Schubert's Overture in D, Raff's Cello Concerto no. 1 (cellist Christoph Croisé), and Beethoven's 6th.
SRF2 Kultur recorded the concert and will be broadcast on Thursday, July 5, 2018 at 8 p.m. (?)
On September Mr. Croisé will perform Raff's 2nd Cello Concerto on Sept. 8, 2018 on the occasion of the opening concert of the Joachim Raff Archive.

http://joachim-raff.ch/raffs-cellokonzert-nr-1-in-bern/ is the original article. Sorry I don't know any german

Ilja

From 30 June to 17 July, Jan van Gilse's opera Thijl is being performed in Soesterberg, the Netherlands (near Utrecht). More information, and ticketing info, through this web site www.thijl2018.nl for tickets and more information. This is not the once planned version by the Orkest van het Oosten and David Porcelijn, which also recorded the symphonies for cpo. Rather, it appears to be a frightfully ambitious student orchestra. We'll see.

eschiss1

Interesting miscellany with Rabl's piano quartet and brief works by others (Röntgen-Maier, Brahms, others) in Stockholm on August 17th  - see this description.
The Rimsky-Korsakov and his World concerts contain a performance of Blumenfeld and Cui piano works on August 18th - see Program 8 (Annandale-on-Hudson, NY, USA.) (Including Rimsky's Mozart and Salieri too- with Stravinsky conducting? I assume that's a recording...)
A mixed program (early Szymanowski - concert overture, Mendelssohn's E minor violin concerto, and Weinberg's 4th symphony) - on September 15 in Warsaw and Sep. 16 in Bydgoszcz (see here.)
Louise Farrenc's overture no.2 @ Norrköping on Sep. 22 - description.
Berwald symphony 3 @ Vienna Sep.22, 23 - concerts.
Skalkottas' Return of Odysseus (1940, but not, iirc, one of his more "modern" works) is being performed in Berlin on October 8 - another link.

Buffalo, NY (sort of near me, @ Kleinhans Music Hall) there's a program October 27& 28 with Tchaikovsky's 3rd symphony but also Paderewski's piano concerto and an excerpt from Nowowiejski, Quo vadis (a Praetorian March)...

On November 7th in Bournemouth there's a concert with Glière's early (1908) symphonic poem The Sirens and works by Turnage and Prokofiev.

eschiss1

Also, Helena Munktell's "Bränningar (Breaking Waves)" (symphonic poem, op.19, 1890s) will be performed next week (August 16) in Stockholm (source.)

Miscellaneously, a program of quartets by Myaskovsky, Shostakovich and Borodin will be aired at Alice Tully Hall next March 24 (only the Borodin is from before 1916, but the Myaskovsky is a Romantic work in very many ways, for all its 1949 date and despite being his last work (afaik).)

MartinH

If anyone happens to be in the Phoenix, Arizona area this winter, we're getting a handful of unsungs from the Semi-pro Musica Nova orchestra. Reinecke symphony no. 2, Bruckner no. 0, Parry no. 3.

http://www.musicanovaaz.com/orchestra-concerts/2018-19-orchestra-concerts/