New thread for upcoming interesting 2018 Romantic unsung concerts

Started by eschiss1, Tuesday 19 December 2017, 05:18

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Alan Howe

MartinH

Yes, and unfortunately, the Royal Scottish National Orchestra will be on tour in the US and playing the same day in Tucson. Now I have to choose one over the other. Depends on what the RNSO is playing. But just to hear them once, after so many wonderful CDs I've bought, from Sir Alexander Gibson to Neeme Jarvi and beyond, is so tempting.

Alan Howe

jimsemadeni

MusicaNova has a channel on YouTube so maybe the pieces you mention will be there someday, some interesting pieces there, such as Jacopo Fischer's 7th symphony, also Warren Cohen's son is a composer and only a teen and his Dad plays his pieces, some works of Graham's on there from when he was maybe 10 or younger, not for this forum, though tonal and well done, but interesting always to hear these prodigies' works. (Hoping for Alma Deutscher's piano concerto sometime).

eschiss1

I've heard some of Mr. Ficher's works as played by the orchestra on the channel, iirc, among other things. Good music, anycase.

A bit of additional searching turns up some more things that interest (me...) : an Air arabe by the -very- rarely performed Heinrich Molbe (Heinrich Freiherr von Bach) is in an October 14 Bamberg concert (with works by Reinecke, Poulenc and Damase.)

Not sure if mentioned, but Reger's Hiller Variations and Lalo's cello concerto are in a concert September 9 @ Cologne; Reger's Lyric Andante gets heard in Sydney on September 22; his Mozart variations (orchestral form) in Oxford November 14 ; his 5th string quartet (with more modern works) @ Hamburg on April 10 2019 and Stenhammar's cantata Sången on June 1st in Stockholm (conducted by Blomstedt.)

Also interesting and very soon, on August 14th in Warsaw, a concert of Mozart, Danzi, Cramer (piano concerto no.2 in D minor) and ETA Hoffmann (symphony in E-flat). The day before (early evening tomorrow) in perhaps the same series of concerts we have a performance of one of Dobrzyński's string quintets. On the 28th in the same place, Zarebski's piano quintet :)

September 24th: Dohnányi's 3rd string quartet in Vienna.

December 3rd: Korngold's 3rd string quartet in London.

Taneyev's Ioann Damaskin / St John of Damascus cantata is performed 9 October 2018 in St Petersburg.

October 3 in Blythburgh - possibly the world premiere of 2 string quartets from 1931 by William Alwyn

MartinH

Just returned from Musica Nova playing the Parry 3rd. It was a wonderful concert: Debussy's Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun, then the Prokofieff 1st violin concert. Next came a new piece by a young composer based on 6 & 5. The notes were more mathematical than musical. Interesting; he has a future scoring horror movies.

Then the Parry. Like any music, hearing it played live is totally different from recordings, no matter how good that cd may be. It was finely paced, well played other than a couple of cracks in the brass. The string complement was small: 7-7-5-5-2, but it gave a clarity to the writing that is obscured with larger groups, especially the London Philharmonic recording. The fatal flaw in this symphony is the finale: it's a lovely set of theme and variations, but the drama, angst and tension one expects in a romantic-era symphony are missing. Nonetheless, it was a very enjoyable half hour and I'm so grateful for having been able to hear it. The audience was pitifully small: around 100 or so. Lack of promotion? No interest in classical, especially the obscure? Very sad. So-called music lovers who didn't go missed fine concert. It was recorded, so maybe Warren Cohen will have it posted on YouTube sometime. So now I've checked off another composer on my list of things to hear live. Another will happen in two weeks when finally I get to hear the Elgar 2nd live - something many of you probably take for granted. Then Musica Nova gives us Reinecke in the spring! Another check off!

eschiss1

Also, I left out the Royal Stockholm Philharmonic with Farrenc's 2nd overture just a week (Nov.14) from now.

Also saw Schmidt's 2nd in Graz Austria listed (on the general website; different orchestra) but that's _next_ year...

vesteel

https://www.konzerthaus.de/de/programm/berliner-cappella-kammersymphonie-berlin-maike-buhle/4096

Lili Boulanger's Psalm 130 & Pour les funérailles d'un soldat and Raff's Psalm 130(!) at the Berlin Konzerthaus November 21

eschiss1

Re MusicaNova, they seem not to have posted to the YouTube channel I'm aware of for most of a year, though of course I too hope this will change.

eschiss1

Still a 2018 concert: December 17, in New York City: the Jupiter Symphony Chamber Players perform Robert Fuchs' trio for violin, viola and piano (op.115).