Franz Lachner Symphony No.3

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 12 April 2018, 21:58

Previous topic - Next topic

hyperdanny

oh what a gift!!! For all the flaws Lachner's music has (long-windedness especially) I love love love those symphonies, even on those so-so Marco Polo cds..especially the 8th is an absolute favorite..SO impatient for this 3rd and cross fingers for a series......I just hope , with CPO's usual pace, it happens in my lifetime..

Alan Howe

There's no indication that this is vol.1 in a planned series, so my guess is that it's a one-off. The performance of No.3 is certainly magnificent: there's not a trace of routine, the playing is alert and well-finished, and the recording is nicely resonant, allowing the music all the room it needs to expand.

The music itself fits right in with what we already know of Lachner. There's nothing new here, no great revelation. If I have a problem with it, it's that the material just doesn't carry the sort of interest required of a 48-minute symphony. There's also a lot of repetition, which one gathers is part and parcel of his style. But it's not a patch IMHO on, say, Rufinatscha - or on Schubert 9 with which it shares a certain obvious kinship without rising to its level of achievement.

Nevertheless, I'm glad to have heard Lachner's 3rd. It's a fine work and will give much pleasure. Just don't expect some sort of epiphany.

Alan Howe

OK, let me be more specific about one of my reservations: Lachner will often begin with a scampering theme which sounds as though it's been lifted straight out of Italian opera (e.g. in the finale here). He'll then subject it to all manner of interesting repetitions, elaborations, etc., but then we return with a bump to his trivial-sounding theme. All very entertaining, but somehow I can't take it (completely) seriously. And, oh those constant repetitions...

hyperdanny

it's correct, it's not written anywhere that this is a "vol. 1" or something like that, but the introductory blurb is somewhat ambiguous and leaves me somewhat hopeful..they say:

Lachner-Symphonien – endlich auf CD
correctly translated as
Lachner's Symphonies – Now at Last on CD

so...

Alan Howe

...we can hope!

The first movement, as so often with unsung symphonies, is an excellent opening - much more impressive than the garrulous finale, in my view. And, my goodness, don't the Taiwanese orchestra play superbly.

Oh, and another observation: the Symphony is rather 'relentless'. There's very little relaxation anywhere. The result is a certain 'sameness' of effect which makes for a tiring listen. Don't get me wrong: this is fine music. But I do feel somewhat 'assaulted' after 48 minutes! Can't help wondering whether judicious editing would improve the piece...

Now over to others who may have ordered the CD...

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe

I'm sure you'll enjoy the Symphony, Mark. I did, despite my reservations.

Alan Howe

Incidentally, Lachner begins the finale to his 8th Symphony with another scampering theme - it's as if Italian opera suddenly obtrudes again. I find it totally out of place.

The finale of No.5 is much more convincing to my way of thinking - but the whole thing lasts over an hour!

Gareth Vaughan

I do wish Chandos had not abandoned their Rufinatscha recordings. Now there was a composer who knew how to write a symphony.

Alan Howe

Strangely enough, I have just finished playing Rufinatscha's 4th (old No.5) in B minor. What a work that is! There's absolutely nothing like it in the symphonic repertoire. If you don't know it, get hold of it forthwith, coupled here with No.1!>>>
http://shop.tiroler-landesmuseen.at/klingende-kostbarkeiten-aus-tirol-43.html

Gareth Vaughan

Oh, I have all those Tiroler Landesmuseum recordings of Rufinatscha and they give great pleasure. I just think it would be nice to hear the other symphonies played by a bigger orchestra (and, incidentally, the piano concerto - a lovely work -  played on a modern concert grand).

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

By the way, the Festouvertüre is an enjoyable, but noisy pot-boiler. Not quite Lachner's 1812, but you'll see what I mean when you hear it...

Mark Thomas

Listening to the Symphony for the first time, I can only agree with everything which Alan has written about it in his several posts. It is a indeed a vigorous and likeable work, but each movement goes on way too long (especially the finale, the weakest of the four). I very much like Lachner's material (even the "scampering") and what he does with it, but the repetitions become tedious. Like many an over-long 50 minute symphony there's an excellent 35 minute one trapped inside. So, a definite welcome, but a qualified one. The overture, with it's closing rendition of the current German national anthem is a fairly forgettable piece. Full marks, though, to the Evergreen Symphony Orchestra whose playing is absolutely first class.

eschiss1

Based on this I would like to hear it once, though I wait most impatiently for a (wonderfully performed, obviously of course) recording debut of no.6. (Getting to hear nos. 2, 4 and 7 which even fewer of us have ever seen- ok, that's not quite true, a substantial part of no.7 was "rescued" into one of his published suites - would be nice...)