Franz Lachner Symphony No.3

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 12 April 2018, 21:58

Previous topic - Next topic

hyperdanny

I like the symphony just as I expected, scampering themes, repetitions and all...especially the 2nd movement I find totally striking....BUT I am perplexed about the recording.
I hear, here and there, a couple extraneous noises...nothing out of the ordinary, for example what sounds like a creaky chair in the 3rd mov...except for one annoying case : at about 1:30 before the end of the first movement I hear this sort of scratching noise, kind of like ripping paper or something like that...since it is "real" (I hear it every time, 4 so far) I would like to ask if somebody else had a similar experience.
In other words, is my CD badly manufactured or the production is less polished than the norm?
(of course, there's the third opion, I'm going crazy, but I don't think so, not this time at least)

Alan Howe

The paper noise at 12:12 into the first movement, I think, is the turning over of a page. Doesn't bother me. Haven't noticed anything else of any significance.

hyperdanny

oh, thank you Alan.so it's not just my cd.I guess I'll have to live with it, then....I am lucky to have a high-end (i.e. "very" revealing) music rig, and that, together with a high personal sensitivity to extraneous noises, equals that I find these things more irksome than normal..oh well....

Alan Howe

John H White

Hello everyone,
  Since I had my email address changed due to the abolition of Freeserve 18 months ago I haven't' been able to get through to this forum until I only recently found out how to change my email in my profile.
  Anyway, there is good news for Lachner fans in that CPO are about to release a CD of his 3rd Symphony at the end of this month. Hitherto,  the only recording available has been a synthetic one by myself using Sibelius software. I'm just wondering if they will have made cuts in the half hour long slow movement. Sadly, the only score of No.5 available from IMSLP is a cut down version produced in the composer's own lifetime.
    So far, I've been unable to locate scores of his 2nd, 4th & 7th symphonies.  I'm wondering if they may be gathering dust in some obscure university liibrary. Does anyone have any clues on their whereabouts please?
     Cheers,
            John.

Alan Howe

Great to have you back, John! You'll see that I've merged your post with an existing thread on the same topic. I hope you'll enjoy catching up on the debate...

eschiss1

No.7 is listed, as "Elegie in form Einer Sinfonie" (1837-40?), in 3 entries at least @ RISM- some fragments, excerpts and also a piano duet arrangement by Heinrich Esser (here.) A search also turns up its relationship to the Suite no.7 in D minor (with which it shares several movements, perhaps revised in the decades-later suite- in that sense anyway it is partially published.)

Symphonies 2 and 4 I think only exist in manuscript form. There is also his wind symphony in B-flat minor (note.)

eschiss1

here's some information, though no incipits, on the symphony in E of 1834 - RISM D-Mbs Mus. ms. 5753. Maybe BSB might consider digitizing the score?

John H White

I've attempted to send an MP3 version of my Sibelius transcription  as an attachment here but it seems even MP3s are too big for this forum. However, if anyone is curious to hear the whole of this symphony, as I suspect cuts will be made in the forthcoming CD, they can contact me via this forum with their email address and I can send them the 4 MP3s concerned. The same goes for Lachner's 6th symphony.
       Cheers,
           John

eschiss1

well, the CD recording is 48 minutes (at unknown metronome choices, etc.) according to an image of its back cover. How long does your recording take in all?... It may soon be possible to divide that 48 minutes up movement-wise - by the end of the month, anyway, or if it's available streaming somewhere, possibly sooner...

John H White

My transcription to the Metronome markings on the score takes 64 minutes including the 34 minute long slow movement which, unusually for lachner, comes 3rd in the batting order after the fast rather contrapuntal scherzo. No doubt the conductor on the forthcoming  CD has made some cuts. Mind you, I've grown rather fond of that slow movement where the timpani has its own little tune coming in every now and again. the whole symphony is rounded off with a rollicking finale somewhat after the style of that of the 6th symphony. I'm also able supply CDs of my WAV version of this symphony and of No6, but don't all rush at once!
      Cheers,
            John.

Alan Howe

Quotethe 34 minute long slow movement

I just don't see how this can be squared with the 11:55 duration of the slow movement in the cpo recording. There's got to be an error somewhere...

eschiss1

or, indeed, cuts.

This should be relatively easily solved yes, just not now?...; the full score and a reduction are available @ https://imslp.org/wiki/Symphony_No.3%2C_Op.41_%28Lachner%2C_Franz_Paul%29 - IMSLP - and such as can read the music may be able to compare the cpo recording with it once the latter is acquired (it comes out in the EU in a couple of weeks, I believe, as noted...)

Alan Howe

Quoteor, indeed, cuts.

Or, indeed, omitted repeats. Either way, a lot would have to have been cut/omitted.

Mark Thomas

We are talking about Lachner's Third aren't we? Even omitting repeats and with some cuts I can't see how the slow movement could be cut form 34 minutes to 12 and survive the surgery. Admittedly, my score reading skills aren't up to comparing what I hear with the score, but it certainly doesn't seem like a lifeless corpse on the recording.