News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

2019 unsung concerts

Started by eschiss1, Thursday 06 December 2018, 05:46

Previous topic - Next topic

ewk

In Freiburg (Germany), the Deutsch-Französischer Chor Freiburg will perform Gouvy's Requiem on 24 Feb.
https://facebook.com/events/2624484640925193

eschiss1

First ever Berlin Opera performance of Zemlinsky's "Der Zwerg" coming up on March 24th. (Quite a fair amount of Zemlinsky early and middle and late this year according to both BachTrack and the Universal Edition website. Eg the 2nd symphony in B-flat in Wuppertal on March 17 & 18, the piano trio in D minor Op.3 in the Brahms-Sahl Vienna, the early movements for string quintet on May 16 at the Schoenberg-Center in Vienna, the String Quartet in A op.4 on June 16 @ Maison de la radio: Auditorium, Paris, and two different conductors and orchestras will be performing Die Seejungfrau in mid-April in Chicago and San Diego...)

ewk

In Freiburg, Germany, there will soon be a performance of an oratorio of Carl Loewe I had not heard of previously:

C. Loewe: Das Sühnopfer des neuen Bundes

Sonntag, 31. März 2019, 17 Uhr

Freiburg, Kirche St. Martin

http://www.hsk-freiburg.de/konzert20190331.html

Mark Thomas

There are at least a couple of recordings of this work, the most readily available being from Naxos. Details here.

ewk

Thank you for that link, Mark, I did not look for recordings before posting. I fear there are many more works of composers of Loewe's fame that I have not heard of but are recorded. As always, live performances like this one are probably the rare thing about it as fortunately, many lesser-known works are being recorded even multiple times (think of the ratio live performances vs recordings of ilya muromets, for example...)

eschiss1

which in turn was performed at Bard last year, for instance, since you mention it...

eschiss1

Speaking of Glière:
April 12th, 8 pm, Nuremberg Mastersinger Hall: Glière "Sirens" symphonic poem, Barvinsky piano concerto, Rimsky Scheherazade (Kateryna Titova, piano in the Barvinsky, Oksana Lyniv conducting the Staatsphilharmonie Nürnberg...)

eschiss1

Didn't notice this before, but next week (April 15)'s program with the Jupiter Symphony Chamber Players in NYC will feature Anton Rubinstein's piano quintet in G minor. (Searching things Rubinstein, I see a London concert performance of The Demon at the end of this month, but that's probably been mentioned elsewhere.) And in November (11/1) anyone living near Ravello Italy might like to hear his 3rd violin sonata live...

eschiss1

Also, a few more-
Maurice Emmanuel's cello sonata (1887-1890) in a concert @ Regent Hall, London at 1 pm tomorrow (April 19) (with works by Bloch & Beethoven) and the same program at Charlton House a week from Friday.
May 1 @ Cadogan Hall - Enescu's 2nd orchestral suite, a work by Porumbescu (1853-1883, so probably appropriate for this forum timewise), and works by Saint-Saëns and Mozart.
May 4 @ Polish Social and Cultural Association Ltd (Polski Osrodek Spoleczno Kulturalny), Hammersmith, London - various Moniuszko opera excerpts in honor of his birthday. Could be good.

On May 30, the Diogenes Quartet will play Arriaga's 3rd quartet as part of a varied program in Cordóba.
Just looking around a bit...

June 24 in Paris there will be a Concert monstre of somewhat unusual works by Berlioz, who died 150 years ago (most of the Berlioz 150 celebrations seem to be performances of the Symphonie fantastique, I notice, but this one contains L'impériale, Le temple universal, the Grande symphonie funèbre et triomphale and the Hymne des Marseillais. François-Xavier Roth conducts. 20:30 local at the Grande salle Pierre Boulez (location-wise.))

It's Pfitzner's 150th birth-anniversary, and Palestrina is being performed in Perth in June (21&22) but aside from that and some lieder and vocal selections, not much this year it seems.

alberto

On the 22nd September Kazuky Yamada will conduct in Monte Carlo Juventus by Victor de Sabata (plus Elgar Sea Pictures with Marie-Nicole Lemieux and Saint-Saens Third Sympny).
On the 13rd March 2020 Yamada , again in Monte Carlo where he is principal, will conduct Chausson's Soir de Fete, Poème de l'Amour et de la Mer (with Veronique Gens) and the Symphony.
In rhe same place Susanna Mallki on the 4th April 2020 will conduct Magnard Third Symphony.

ewk

Theater Freiburg 2019/20 Season

The Theater Freiburg has released its new season brochure and again, it contains interesting things for us lovers of unsung music. Of course most of it is not unsung regarding CD recordings, but there are quite some works outside the standard repertoire of the concert hall, at least from my experience.

1) After the Magnard focus in the last seasons, they feature a lot of Korngold this year (they announced a complete recording of Korngold's orchestral works with Naxos):

• Symphony in F sharp: 22/10/2019
  • Der Schneemann 22/12/2019 (hopefully complete! I think there is no complete recording yet?)
  • Straussiana; Overture "Elisabeth and Essex" 1/1/2020
  • String Sextet 2/2/2020
  • Sursum Corda 3/3/2020
  • Märchenbilder 8/3/2020
  • Movements from "Much ado about nothing" 15/3/2020
  • Piano Quintet 21/6/2020
  • Der Ring des Polykrates (staged) combined with other orchestral works and songs: première 19/1/2020

Moreover, there will be

• Casella Symphony 1: 3/12/2019
  • Walton: Cello Concerto 23/6/2020
  • Kodaly: Sommerabend (Summer evening) 21/7/2020
  • Arnold: Quintet for brass op. 73 6/10/2019
  • Raff: Piano trio No. 2 12/1/2020
  • Goldmark: Piano trio No. 1 15/3/2020
  • Zemlinski: String Quartet No. 1 21/6/2020
(of this list, I am not sure whether everything is within the romanticity definition of UC)

Quite a lot to see and hear for us UC lovers!

Best wishes,
ewk

der79sebas

On the other hand, the Theater Freiburg recently cancelled the concert performances of Schreker's "Spielwerk" which were scheduled for July 2019.

ewk

How sad, I had not taken notice of this.
At least, the replacement programme features Schreker's "Der Geburtstag der Infantin" besides Mahler's Wunderhorn-Lieder.

eschiss1

Ok, it's been awhile, but:
adding: Rootham: Suite in Three Movements for flute and piano op. 64 played this afternoon (Oct.29) at St. Brides Church London EC4Y BAU at- hrm, oh dear. Concert starts at 13:15 so actually that's just in a very short while for those in the area...
Interesting this evening local in London: concerts with Boulanger's Les sirènes, and with Bax's symphony no.3 . (Interesting to me, though again, can't get there, and in Germany not London- Weinberg symphony 10! But it's his 100th, I'd be disappointed if there were no celebrations, I'm very glad there's actually- quite a lot.)

Edit:
Halifax (Nova Scotia) tomorrow at 19:30: woodwind/string/piano trios by Herzogenberg, Reinecke and Brahms: https://bachtrack.com/concert-listing/the-peggy-corkum-music-room/the-music-room-chamber-players-series-philip-myers-horn-legend/30-october-2019/19-30. There is another concert with the Herzogenberg July 16 2020....

Edit: adding in some links :)

Alan Howe

Note to all contributors here: it would be useful if links to concerts could be included for those interested in going to them. Thanks.