News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

2019 unsung concerts

Started by eschiss1, Thursday 06 December 2018, 05:46

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

I'll start:
Moeran's symphony in G minor will be performed February 9 2019, Conducted by David Leibovitz, at the Church of St Mary the Virgin, NYC- NY Repertory Orchestra.

Alan Howe

Léon Boëllmann's fine Cello Sonata, Op.40 will be on the programme at Conway Hall, London on Sunday 19th May 2019 at 6:30pm, featuring Sergio Patria (cello) and Elena Ballario (piano).

dmitterd

The Boëllmann is a very fine work, indeed! As far as I am aware there is only one extant commercial recording - http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=44524 Beautifully executed, the disc is even more enjoyable for the fact it contains many other premiere recordings.

cheers,
Daniel

Gareth Vaughan

A fine performance of the cello sonata of Boellmann is coupled with one by Benjamin Godard on Hyperion. This was issued 1996. It is still available.

dmitterd

Sadly now only available as a download/stream :(

Wheesht

The Sinfonieorchester Biel Solothurn in Switzerland has this interesting concert scheduled for 16 January:

Joachim Raff:
«Abends» Rhapsodie op. 163b
Charles Koechlin:
«Chansons bretonnes» für Cello und Orchester op. 115
Robert Volkmann:
Cellokonzert a-Moll op. 33
Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy:
Sinfonie Nr. 3 a-Moll op. 56 «Schottische»

Gareth Vaughan

It's available on Amazon UK from 3rd party retailers, only one of which is asking a stupidly inflated price. There is one brand new at £9.99.
Hyperion also offer an Archive service on their website. You may order an individually produced copy of any CD which is deleted for £13.99. Search for the disk from their online catalogue and you will see the option listed.

eschiss1

Not yet mentioned here nor anticipated in the other thread (maybe mentioned elsewhere) - Raff symphony no.9, Graz, April 1, 2, 2019.
Several Franz Schmidt items, probably already mentioned but to collect them here-
Symphony 4 @ January 9, 10 in 2019 Jan 09, 10 @ Konserthuset Stockholm: Stora Salen, Stockholm (Simone Young, conducting.)
" @ January 11, 13 @ Auditorium di Milano Fondazione Cariplo, Milan (Claus-Peter Flor, conducting.)
" @ March 14 @ Auditorium de Palma, Palma de Mallorca (Pablo Mielgo conducting Orquestra Simfònica de les Illes Balears "Ciutat de Palma")
Symphony 2 @ April 29, 30 @ Congress Graz: Stefaniensaal, Graz (Gabriel Feltz conducting the Grazer Philharmoniker.)

April 8 '19 @ New York City: concert with works by Szell and Felix Weingartner.

Amanda Röntgen-Maier's piano trio in E-flat in Stockholm on March 29.

tpaloj

Soon in January 11. - 19. @ Finland, Helsinki (Aleksanterinteatteri venue) - Fredrik Pacius' Opera "Die Loreley". The first staged performance since its premiere in 1887 (one previous concert recording seems to exist but I don't have it). This Opera was based on a libretto intended for Mendelssohn who died just before he was able to start working on it. Fingers crossed it might even be charming.

eschiss1

3 movements by Mendelssohn exist , published as Op.98. Act I finale, Ave Maria, Wurzerchor. So he more than got started, but didn't finish...

Mark Thomas

The same libretto (by Geibel) was used by Bruch for his superb Die Loreley.

eschiss1

Another concert containing some unsung Romantic music: No longer as unsung as it once was and slightly outside our usual time range (but I believe we've discussed in the past whether or not this work is sufficiently Romantic to fit) -- Myaskovsky's cello concerto in C minor Op.66 is being performed (in Ottobrunn on January 31, in Munich on February 2, same performers I believe, 8 pm local both cases) according to a photograph of the concert notice I saw posted to Instagram just now (Bruckner's 7th and a more modern work fill out the program.)

A more useful link than "according to a photograph of the...". And another from the orchestra which mentions both (not just the Munich one). (Lionel Cottet, cello, Abaco Orchester, Vitali Alekseenok, conductor.)

Alan Howe

No problem with Myaskovsky's wonderful Cello Concerto. Could have been written 40 years earlier.

eschiss1

Got ahold of the score last year. 40 years maybe, but not in the 19th century (well... never say -couldn't- or even wasn't... The 19th century too was a weird time in its outskirts - as, I will be swiftly reminded, were most of the centuries before and since, and I will readily agree...)

eschiss1

Well, due to some 200-odd miles distance, missing Gernsheim's 2nd string quartet @ Jupiter Symphony Chamber Players (NYC) tonight, unfortunately! And February 18th they're playing music by Gossec, Thomas, Fauré and Debussy.  Slightly more traditional concert from them on March 4th with chamber works by Konrgold & Schubert; 3/18 brings JM Kraus, Adolf Busch, and Beethoven and Felix Mendelssohn ; 3/25 has JB Foerster's nonet, a Fiala bassoon quartet, and works by Smetana and Dvorak; 4/8 has Szell (quintet Op.2, 1911), Toscanini (2 songs, 1885), Weingartner (octet, 1925), and Mitropoulos (Kassiani, 1919)  - also a more recent work by the late founder of the Jupiter Symphony.. etc.