News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

2020 unsung concerts

Started by eschiss1, Sunday 15 December 2019, 05:01

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

I apologize for not having anything stunning with which to start off this thread, but there seem to be a few things here and there announced. Also apologies if I duplicate anyone else's announcements, I will edit out if so informed.

New Years 2019/20, several performances of Josef Suk's Praga in several locations throughout Prague, conducted by Jakub Hrůša.
January 9-11 2020, Kirill Petrenko conducts the Berlin Philharmonic in Suk's Asriel Symphony (and again in Salzburg 30 August).
January 19  - Suk quartet in B-flat op.11, Munich.
January 29-31 - Suk fantastic scherzo, Bartók, Haas (Pavel) Scherzo triste, Janacek Taras Bulba (Prague, Rudolfinum: Dvořák Hall, conducted by Jakub Hrůša). The same conductor is taking the Czech Philharmonic and the Suk scherzo on tour March 3-8 and April 20 in Cologne, Stuttgart, Friedrichshafen, Freiburg, Hamburg.

28 February, in Valencia, @ Palau de la Musica: José Iturbi, Krommer's flute concerto Op.30 and Franz Schmidt's symphony (no.4) in C. (Alexander Soddy conducts the Orquesta de Valencia; Maria Dolores Vivo, flute.)

6 April, Baden-Baden : Suk "quartet in B-flat, Op.31" according to BachTrack.. either a typo for quartet in B-flat, Op.11 or a typo for quartet, Op.31 (which since it starts in G minor and ends in D-flat, and for other reasons, doesn't have one "key" to speak of. (The term "progressive tonality" does -not- apply to all works of this kind, btw...))

Segers

Looks like Prague is the place to be at this New Year's Eve.

tpaloj

14. May, 2020. Helsinki (Espoo), Finland.
Tapiola Sinfonietta: Raff – Symphony n:o 3 (Im Walde).

Programme includes Schubert pieces as well as Liszt's Symphonic poem 13, From Cradle to Grave.

https://www.tapiolasinfonietta.fi/en/concert/im-walde/

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Interesting song/lieder concert @ Wigmore Hall this coming Monday (Grieg, Medtner, Tchaikovsky, Britten, Rachmaninov, Sibelius.)  On  Tuesday evening in the same place, piano quintets by Frühling and Brahms (Stephen Hough/Castalian Quartet) (I wonder if the Frühling's being recorded by someone for release.)

Hrm, also at Wigmore Hall, February 16, cello sonatas by Myaskovsky (no.1 in D) and Rachmaninoff. (The Myaskovsky is also being played in a different recital by different performers in Berkhamsted on February 9. Actually, a reasonable amount of his music in the next few months, including his longest symphony (i.e. #6) (in Manchester, February 1). 70th anniversary of his death might explain that!)

later edit: Howells' clarinet (Rhapsodic) quintet of 1917 will be in a February 7 concert @ CBSO Centre in Birmingham. Spohr's nonet will be performed in Berlin @ February 13 (Kleiner Saal, Konzerthaus). Thuille's sextet op.6 will be heard @ Wigmore Hall Feb. 17 (+ Ligeti, Janacek, Mozart).  Bartók's early piano quintet : March 7, Frankfurt am Main, Alte Oper Mozartsaal. Ferdinand Ries' piano quintet in B minor - March 7 at Wigmore Hall (Elizabeth Watts, Nash Ensemble.)  Stanford and Parry chamber works are in the Jupiter Symphony Chamber Players concert @ March 16 (NYC).  Farrenc's sextet @ Sheffield, March 20.   Ethel Smyth's string quintet op.1 in E @ Stockholm Konserthuset on Mar. 22.  More Farrenc- piano quintet no.2 in E- @ Venice, March 29 (courtesy of Palazetto Bru Zane!! with Bonis' piano quartet in B-flat.)

eschiss1

also (after March), Pierné's piano quintet (with Fauré) @ Montréal, Bourgie Hall, on April 17; another performance of Thuille's sextet (besides the one on Feb. 17 @ Wigmore) at Conway Hall on April 19; Holst's early wind quintet @ Gateshead, April 22; Reger's clarinet quintet @ Bourgie Hall on May 22. (I also see listed the same quartet by Bacewicz being performed by two -different- groups within three days of each other (May 29 and June 1) on two -different continents-  (in Baden-Baden; in Minneapolis; not the same concert programs either), which while outside of this group's orbit is coincidentally interesting enough that, well, er, neat. Also I like the piece, so. :)  .. ok, ok. Sorry :( )

eschiss1

Also speaking of Louise Farrenc, and of Bru Zane, on 8 March the latter is streaming a live concert from Venice of the violin sonatas of the former.

eschiss1

Farrenc 2 in Philly tomorrow; Dohnanyi symphony 1 in d in Candleriggs Glasgow on February 13.

vesteel

Choral works by Swiss composers Benno Ammann and Joachim Raff are gonna be performed by Basler Madrigalisten on February 8, 9, 15, and 16 -

Benno Ammann:
Missa Defensor Pacis (1946) (Swiss premiere)

Joachim Raff:
A Kyrie/Gloria Mass (World Premiere)(!)
Ave Maria
Pater Noster

https://www.basler-madrigalisten.ch/termine.html
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=2706140029476652&id=509526559138021

eschiss1

Noticed another: Beach's Gaelic symphony and works by others (including Gershwin) , 4 April, York Symphony Orchestra

(Hrm. The Bachtrack listing for this event has a different program. I may want to- no, I will if I can- write the orchestra to see if (1) Bachtrack has it wrong and they should contact them or (2) their website has an older version that needs updating. Hrm! .. er...)

MartinH

The Beach symphony is doing quite well in Arizona this year. The Tempe Symphony is performing it Monday, Feb. 17. A month later, the Chandler Symphony is doing it along with Ethel Smyth's Wrecker's Overture. Then the North Valley Symphony is giving the Beach an outing. It's the 100th anniversary of Women's Suffrage so it was easy to get it programmed. It was I who instigated the first two performances and luckily I get to play bassoon 1 on both. The conductors of the orchestras were ignorant of the Gaelic and knew it by reputation only, never heard a note of it - and both are thrilled with the symphony now. It may not be a Beethoven 5th or Dvorak 9th, but it's pretty powerful stuff. The Wreckers was a tougher sell, but now that we've read it, people really like it.

Gareth Vaughan

That's really encouraging, Martin. Just shows what can happen when people are prepared to venture outside their "comfort zone". A pity many are not more adventurous more often.

eschiss1

thought I'd check- two concerts at least with music by Robert Fuchs upcoming.

April 1 2020, 8 pm in Vienna, Musikverein: Gläserner Saal. Duos and trios with viola (Pleyel, Vieuxtemps, Philipp Scharwenka, others) including Fuchs' terzett in C-sharp minor op.107.

May 24, 5 pm, Konzerthall Bamberg, Joseph Keilberth Saal. String trios by Fuchs (in A), Ysaÿe and Beethoven.

FBerwald

Not exactly unsung but these works have rarely been performed in India

Saint-Saëns: Le rouet d'Omphale (Omphale's Spinning Wheel)
Saint-Saëns: Piano Concerto No. 5 in F major, Op. 103 "Egyptian"
Franck: Symphony in D minor

Symphony Orchestra of India
Jean-Philippe Collard (piano), Laurent Petitgirard, conductor
NCPA, Mumbai
01-03-2020

eschiss1

It occurs to me we'll probably be seeing a lot of Vieuxtemps compared to other years if not necessarily a lot absolutely speaking, by the way, this being the 200th anniversary of his birth.