Raff symphonies from Chandos

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 24 November 2010, 16:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

semloh

This is excellent news, Alan, and I will definitely get a copy!

Not sure about the neo-Gothic aesthetic of the Friedrich style cover, but it's the music that counts!  :)

Mark Thomas

Love the cover as a cover. It's a bit wintry, though, for music so filled with sunshine. Maybe they were thinking of Macbeth?

Alan Howe

...or Switzerland? Nah - no mountains.

eschiss1

It occurs to me... the notes to the recording may be available (as PDF) already, as is Chandos' (and Hyperion's, sometimes) oftentimes-habit? :) Hrm. Can't seem to find it on the website yet- well, maybe next month.

Alan Howe

There's no official information yet, unfortunately.

Peter1953

I definitely like the cover and keep on looking at this fascinating, mysterious lane. What is it, between all left trees? Couches of stone? However, I cannot share your enthusiasm, because I'm perfectly happy with the Stadlmaier and, I'm so sorry to admit, I've never liked the Shakespeare Preludes that much... On the other hand, it won't be my first buy only because I like the cover...

petershott@btinternet.com

Are they perhaps lights to illuminate the drive? (Look further down and they appear illuminated.) Or perhaps hobgoblins?

No matter, it is a disc to be got. (And I suspect, Peter, that when it is released there will be so much excited chatter on this site that you will just have to buy the disc to satisfy your curiosity!)

Miles R.

I'm so glad that somebody (namely Stadlmair) recorded these symphonies before Järvi got to them. I find his conducting style so coarse and bombastic that it tends to give me a bad impression of the works themselves if I haven't heard performances by other conductors. Nice cover design, though.

semloh

Quote from: Peter1953 on Thursday 27 December 2012, 22:52
I definitely like the cover and keep on looking at this fascinating, mysterious lane. What is it, between all left trees? Couches of stone? However, I cannot share your enthusiasm, because I'm perfectly happy with the Stadlmaier and, I'm so sorry to admit, I've never liked the Shakespeare Preludes that much... On the other hand, it won't be my first buy only because I like the cover...

Well, it shows how different tastes can be!  ;D

I find the cover deathly and alienated - no hint of humanity and quite at odds with Raff's music. On the other hand the Shakespeare Preludes are contenders for part of my "discovery of 2012" response!

petershott@btinternet.com

Scheduled for release (in the UK at least) on 28 January 2013. Marvellous!

Mark Thomas

eschiss1

semioh- it was probably painted for a release of Sibelius 6 that was then delayed :) (all conjecture, all conjecture, but that would be such an appropriate cover!)

Alan Howe

Alan Howe