News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Ludomir Rozycki

Started by Amphissa, Thursday 14 January 2010, 16:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Amphissa

I've got Rozycki's 1st PC (which I too love) as well as Zarzycki's, and have a bunch of Rozycki's orchestral works. As for Maliszewski, Pachulski, and Zelenski, I'm at a loss. I'd love to hear them. Why hasn't the Polish National Orchestra recorded their performances and sold the CDs? It would at least be better than nothing. I'd buy them.

In the meanwhile, is there a source for these?

thalbergmad

As far as I am aware, Maliszewski, Pachulski (Fantasia) & Zelenski PC's only exist as radio broadcasts, along with Dobrzynski and Nowowiejski. Why they have not been commercially recorded I do not know. The Zelenski is a belter of a romantic concerto and would grace any label.

If anyone plans to do them, would they please also consider the Sowinski PC the two by Henryk Bobinski and best of all the Borowski (althought he was born in UK).

In fact, any composer ending in "ski". Seems to be a recipe for success.

Thal

eschiss1

Dobrzynski's piano concerto has assuredly been recorded commercially, I remember the Fanfare review. the compact disc may be NLA though. (wasn't a Zelenski chamber work on an Olympia CD back when Olympia was still a going concern?...)
(Dobrzynski and Chopin concertos, Jerzy Sterczyński, piano ; New Polish Philharmonic (Filharmonii Rzeszowskiej ; Adam Natanek, conducting. Selene Records, 1994.)

thalbergmad

Thanks for that echiss1, I will try to find it.

It sits comfortably with the Chopin concerti.

Thal

Rob H

The Pachulski Fantaise has been recorded by Lidia Kozubek on Polski Nagrania (coupled with Hummel op85 and Czarnecki Affetuoso). I didn't get around to ordering it (just lazy - didn't want to wade through the Polish ordering process) but it has just been made available for download on emusic. There are two more (solo) albums by miss Kozubek on emusic - neoromantic Polish piano and Moniuszko piano which I just downloaded because it includes 7 transcriptions of his songs by Henryk Melcer - the only available recordings (except for the spinner girl of which I now have 4 versions).
Rob

Peter1953

Finally I ordered the two Rozycki CD's in Poland, see here. They should be delivered within a week.
These AP CD's are rather cheap (€8.37 = £7.37) but the shipment costs are €8 (at least to the Netherlands).
I will post my comments in due course.

fyrexia

I would second that wish on the Bobinski Concertos. Although i did not know he wrote a second, and i would not expect much... after playing through the 1st.

Tony

Peter1953

I've listened to both Rozycki CDs a few times.

The first disc (APO217) couples the Ballade for Piano and Orchestra, op. 18 (recorded in 1990) and the Piano Concerto No. 1 in G minor, op. 43 (recorded in 1984). Remarkable that both works (TT 42'11'') haven't been released on CD earlier. In the informative booklet notes we see a picture of the young pianist Krystyna Makowska-Lawrynowicz (1984, I suppose) and a recent picture together with her grandson.
The Ballade (1904) is a splendid, vivid work in a late Romantic style, with a stunning entrance of the piano. A very pleasant listen is his PC1 (1918). Lush melodies, brilliant passages, in short most attractive. The imposing first movement is followed by a lyrical andante con moto, and ends with a original and elegant allegro giocoso. Definitely a concerto most of our members will like.

The second disc (AP219) features music for violin. But how much Rozycki is it? The VC op. 70 (1944) has two movements and is the most important work. The orchestral parts existed in piano score only and were never completed for full orchestra. However, a few years ago Zygmunt Rychert edited the piano score. The result is marvellous. It's an utterly lyrical concerto, full of passion.
Violinist Ewelina Nowicka has made four transcriptions of Rozycki's ballet Pan Twardowski, op. 45, for violin and piano. Just like the four other short pieces for violin and piano opp. 5 & 30 on this CD they sound lovely, in fact even a bit dreamy and impressionistic. Strangely enough these pieces remind me of Lekeu's music, but less complicated.

Both discs are warmly recommended. In the notes another release is already announced (APO253), Rozycki's Piano Quintet in C minor, op. 35 and the Rhapsody for violin, cello and piano, op. 33. Something to look forward to!

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteAs far as I am aware, Maliszewski, Pachulski (Fantasia) & Zelenski PC's only exist as radio broadcasts, along with Dobrzynski and Nowowiejski.
I have the 2-piano score of the Maliszewski PC and would love to hear it. Does anybody have a recording of the broadcast?

Alan Howe

The Acte Préalable CD (AP0219) containing violin music by Rozycki features an absolutely stunning performance of the VC from 1944 (edited and orchestrated by Zygmunt Rychert). This is gorgeous stuff - an exquisitely melodic Andante followed by a purposeful, but still tuneful Allegro deciso, i.e. just two movements taking about 24 minutes - a perfect coupling on CD for a work such as the Korngold VC, I'd have thought.
Of course, the whole thing could have been written in, say, 1910 - but who cares? If you haven't added this CD to your collection, it's time to write to Santa...

markniew

I am really glad to read such appraisal of the music by Rozycki  :-)
I also like it also very much.
Some time ago in the Dowloads Disussions/Polish Symphonic I mentioned about recording of his pf cto no. 1 with Wladyslaw Kedra and also on LP with the second (final) movement of his cto no. 2.
Why has not been most of his music released commercially? That is the question!
Ballada was released on old LP (of 60s?) and then reissued on the Olymia CD. Now we have it of Acte Prealable.
Do tou know his Piano Quintet? Cello Sonata? If there is interest I can dowload them (off radio recordings)

eschiss1

the cello sonata has been broadcast on BBC (Strahl/Wolanin) yes, I think in this case it's a Polish Radio recording, not a CD one, but I'm not positive.  There is a CD of the piano trio rhapsody on Dux. I know of the opus 35 quintet (it's in the IMSLP list of his works) but haven't heard it, I think (but I think the only chamber work of his I have heard is his cello sonata...)

Greg K

Yes, - please do make the Rozycki Piano Quintet & Cello Sonata available.

Gerhard Griesel

After reading the threads about Rozycki I tried very hard to find something, but no luck. On Amazon there are about ten Rozycki CDs. The PC and orchestral samples sound fascinating. What a frustration.

Gerhard

markniew

All of you remember that A.S. uploaded this summer two symphonic poems by Rozycki, namely King Kofetua and Mona Lisa Gioconda plus Violin Cto taken off radio (the same performance as issued on Acte Prealable)