News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Ludomir Rozycki

Started by Amphissa, Thursday 14 January 2010, 16:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Amphissa

Following up on Thal's mention of a piano concerto by Ludomir Rozycki in another thread, I'm curious what the prospects are for getting some commercial recordings of his work. So far, I've heard his 1st piano concerto and 3 symphonic poems. I've not yet run across a performance of his 2nd piano concerto. Has there been one?

Like Thal, I think the 1st piano concerto is quite good, deserving of a commercial release. Other than the op. 1, which is a typical student work, his symphonic poems are also deserving of attention. A couple of those have appeared on CD, but others have not. And I remember seeing a string quartet by him on a CD that I've not heard.

Is there a list somewhere of his works? I'm curious whether he wrote a violin concerto or cello concerto, or any symphonies.

Mark Thomas

His Violin Concerto is being broadcast by Polish Radio 2 this Sunday morning, as it happens. A late work, according to the work list here, it is unfinished.

thalbergmad

For me, the Rozycki Piano Concerto was love at first sight or should i say first hear. I was completely engrossed with it and that has not diminshed after several hearings. My normal taste is for the virtuoso display type of concerto, and this is nothing of the sort, but it really left me in one of my "why the hell has this not been recorded" moods.

Anyway, I sent the score to good ole Mr Spring and we will see what he thinks. If it were my choice, I would pair it with the Zelenski and I wager it would fly off the shelves.

This Polish radio is heaven on Earth. The Pachulski Fantaisie and Maliszewski Concerto are also wonderful pieces, the latter of which is a gigantic late romantic work. There is much that needs to be done to bring this music into the regular repetoire.

Concertingly

Thal

Gareth Vaughan

I'm a real sucker for Rozycki's lush late Romanticism and sheer lyrical beauty. The 2nd PC is also an attractive work. There is a possibility that Acte Prealable may record these in the autumn with Valentina Seferinova as soloist. But nothing definite yet. They would be an obvious choice (coupled with the Ballade, which was recorded by Olympia) for Hyperion's RPC series.
I do so agree that the Maliszewski PC needs recording. I sent the 2-piano score to Mike Spring about 5 years ago, and he seemed impressed at the time. Perhaps I'll remind him about it. Maliszewski also wrote three rather good symphonies.
Pachulski, Zelenski, Zarzycki - all deserve an airing.

Unfortunately, I'm away this Sunday, but if anybody is intending to record Rozycki's VC, I'd love to hear it some time.

M. Henriksen

Quote from: Amphissa on Thursday 14 January 2010, 16:37

Is there a list somewhere of his works? I'm curious whether he wrote a violin concerto or cello concerto, or any symphonies.

Yes there is a list on this very informative site:

http://www.culture.pl/en/culture/artykuly/os_rozycki_ludomir

I recommend to check out the profiles of Fitelberg, Szeluto and others. Enough unsung and interesting music here to keep the recording industry busy for some time.. As long as we keep on buying the CDs of course!

Morten

thalbergmad

I still listen to the Rozycki PC on a weekly basis and expect to do so until such time that something else I find superior takes my fancy.

Polish PC's have always given me much enjoyment. It would appear to me they excel with this genre.

I have spent a week playing through the Dobrzyński PC, which i found to be a Chopinesque early romantic gem. One wonders what masterpieces lay neglected in some dusty Polish archives.

Back to the piano.

Thal

M. Henriksen

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Thursday 14 January 2010, 20:34
There is a possibility that Acte Prealable may record these in the autumn with Valentina Seferinova as soloist. But nothing definite yet.

Any update on this anyone? Gareth?

Gareth Vaughan

Valya still wants to do them but it didn't work out this autumn. Instead, she's playing Dorothy Howell's beautiful PC at an all English orchestral concert at The Cadogan hall in London on Thursday 11th November (Armistice Day). I urge everyone on this forum who can to come. Holbrooke's Variations on "The Girl I Left Behind Me", Lilian Elkington's "Out of the Mist" and Elgar's "In the South" are among the other treats.

AnoneeMouse

Quote from: M. Henriksen on Monday 04 October 2010, 23:03
There is a possibility that Acte Prealable may record these in the autumn with Valentina Seferinova as soloist. But nothing definite yet.

Ssssh!
A little birdie flew by - and I distinctly heard it say:-
"Now that Valentina's Autumn 2010 schedule & programme is complete - Acte Prealable are v. interested to get her to commit (& actively encouraging her) to further recordings for them!"
It seems their principal interest is not in a 'Noskowski 2' - but to take on a full CD of Rozycki!
The birdie was also overheard squawking something about Piano Concerto No.2!!??
Ssssh!  It's a secret!

M. Henriksen

Nice birdie!
From what I've heard of Rozycki (an old Olympia disc with some of his orchestral music) new recordings of his works will be very welcome. Apart from the two Piano Concertos, there are several orchestral works awaiting revival.

Morten

petershott@btinternet.com

The only music I know is the D Minor String Quartet, which accompanies the Royal Quartet performances of the two Szymanowski quartets on a Hyperion disc. The latter two quartets are stunningly performed, and I guess the Royal performs the Rozycki to the same standard (I can't think how it could be better given I'm unfamiliar with Rozycki's musical language and idiom). If we're going to get some of the orchestral works....then splendid! Hope that naughty little bird has got it right!

Peter

M. Henriksen

Let's hope so! That old Olympia disc I mentioned is still available here and there and gives us a fairly good impression of his musical idiom, the works represented were composed between 1900 and the early 1920's.
I would say Rozycki is a traditional late-romantic composer with glimpses of impressionism in more mature works. Apparently he also used Polish folk tunes in his works, but I'm too unfamiliar with Polish music to tell. 
The Olympia disc is an AAD-recording with harsh sound, especially in the orchestral climaxes where I have to turn the volume down on my stereo.      I believe a modern recording would do Rozycki's fine orchestral writing more justice.
On American amazon, there's also a complete recording of his ballet "Pan Twardowski" and a complete live-recording from 1978 of his opera "Eros and Psyche". I haven't heard any of those.

Morten

eschiss1

Several Rozycki works have been rebroadcast (from Polish Radio, I'm guessing) over BBC Radio 3's Through the Night program, including I recall a symphonic poem Mona Lisa Gioconda and some others. Good stuff... There's also a cello sonata.  (He was part of Young Poland - Mloda Polska along with Szymanowski, Fitelberg and Szeluto (who I've seen mentioned in these forums.))

Twardowski

I'm new to this site - came across it while looking up recordings of Rozycki's music  :).  I have two Polish recordings of "Pan Twardowski" and "Eros i Psyche", which I bought in Kraków last summer.  Both are superb and I can thoroughly recommend them.  I believe that they are the same ones as are available on Amazon

AnoneeMouse

Quote from: AnoneeMouse on Friday 07 January 2011, 20:18
Quote from: M. Henriksen on Monday 04 October 2010, 23:03

Ssssh!
A little birdie flew by - and I distinctly heard it say:-
"Now that Valentina's Autumn 2010 schedule & programme is complete - Acte Prealable are v. interested to get her to commit (& actively encouraging her) to further recordings for them!"
It seems their principal interest is not in a 'Noskowski 2' - but to take on a full CD of Rozycki!
The birdie was also overheard squawking something about Piano Concerto No.2!!??
Ssssh!  It's a secret!

It's seems the birdie I overheard might not have got it quite right!!?? (Perhaps the birdie's feet were too cold sitting on the overhead telephone wire!!)
See www.valentinaseferinova.com and click latest news.
Although intriguingly Rozycki not mentioned by name - it does seem she is scheduled to be in Poland.
Also - no mention of Concerto(es).
I speculate that the cost of orchestra hire might be a reason for Acte Prealable not pursuing any orchestral works at the moment.