Stjepan Sulek

Started by Latvian, Saturday 02 July 2011, 00:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Latvian

Here are details on the works and performances I've posted in the Downloads folder:

Stjepan Sulek (1914-1986)

Symphony No. 1 (1944)
I.   Allegro
II.  Adagio
III. Allegro moderato

Symphony No. 2 "Eroica" (1946)
I.   Allegro
II.  Adagio
III. Scherzo

both works performed by:
Croatian Radio & TV Symphony Orchestra
Pavle Despalj, conductor

Symphony No. 4 (1954) [movements played without pause]
I.   Prologue (un poco sostenuto)
II.  Allegro con fuoco
III. Adagio -- Presto -- Adagio
IV. Allegro con brio

Belgrade Philharmonic Orchestra
Kresimir Baranovic, conductor

None of these works have ever received commercial recordings. These are dubs from concert broadcasts.

eschiss1

Wikipedia claims, anyway, that the dates (of composition? publication?) of symphonies 1, 2 and 4 are 1944, 1946 and 1954.  Amazon.com claims symphony 4 was published in 1961... (some of this may be possible, if not necessarily from the internet solely :) , to work out...) edit: it was published in 1961 - evidence from a 1962 issue of Music & Letters (one needs permission to read further into the issue, though. Once had that permission as a staff member at university; no longer do. though one can find the issue in a library- it is July 1962, vol.43 no.3.) Oh- sorry- my mistake... is 1965 the year of broadcast? also, the dates for 2 seem to be 1944 to 1946. Wikipedia's source for some of those dates may have been this PDF- Croatian PDF article (in English, sorry, based on a Croatian server) by Eva Sedak (entitled Stjepan Sulek- the Antiprogressive?)

Latvian

Thanks for the clarification, eschiss1. I'm not sure where I came up with for the dates, but clearly they're wrong. Yes, 1965 may have been the broadcast date, but unfortunately I don't have additional data on the broadcasts.

According to New Grove in Oxford Music Online, dates for the symphonies should be:
1: 1944
2: 1946
3: 1948
4: 1954
5: 1963
6: 1966
7: 1979
8: 1981
I'll make corrections in the previous posting.

I've also now uploaded the 3rd Symphony, information for which is as follows:

Symphony No. 3 (1948)

I   Allegro
II  Scherzo
III Larghetto

Croatian Radio & TV Symphony Orchestra
Pavle Despalj, conductor

Mark Thomas

Thanks for these Latvian, but I can only find the First and Second Symphonies. No sign of Nos.3 and 4.

eschiss1

that's a good point... ah, ok, there now...

fyrexia

Thank you very much for these sulek symphonies. I believe i only had 1 symphony, but cant find it anywhere ! So thanks again.

Tony

fyrexia

I can upload the Sulek Symphonies No.6 and 7, if anyone would be interested

I believe both from lp.

Tony

oldman

eschiss1

according to a scan at eBay of the back cover of the LP of symphony 6 (premiered 23 May 1966), the movement headings are
I. Adagio non troppo - Allegro moderato - Allegretto (Quasi una marcia fantastica)
II. Adagio- Presto.

The notes can also be read there until the seller removes or relists the item. The composer is conducting the Zagreb Radio-Television Symphony.

lechner1110

Thank you very much to upload.
I was surprised to these powerful symphonies :o.
Symphony No. 2 recalls me Erwin Schulhoff's symphony.

Regards                                         
                                                                  lechner1110(from Japan)

Mark Thomas

Welcome to UC, Lechner

Balapoel

Thanks Fyrexia for the Sulek symphonies. Maybe my browser is in error, but the 7th symphony is marked 'private only' and cannot be downloaded.

Balapoel

fyrexia

Just got it public again. Will disactivate in 24 hrs.

Tony

eschiss1

Symphony 7 - forget if this already has been posted - conductor possibly Pavle Dešpalj , Zagrebačkom filharmonija (series Hrvatski skladatelji = "Croatian composers" no.4) , from a 1980s (1980??) Jugoton LP (LSY 66087).

Once again taking advantage of someone who has this listed on ebay and has the LP image scanned, the movements of symphony 7 (1973?) are:

Side A. I. Moderato- Poco meno (Allegro moderato)
II. Adagio non troppo.

Side B. III. Allegro non troppo
IV. Presto - Allegro vivo (Pochetissimo meno)

TerraEpon