Stjepan Sulek

Started by Latvian, Saturday 02 July 2011, 00:48

Previous topic - Next topic

X. Trapnel

Have there been any Sulek 6 & 7 developments since July 10? My own versions are dim and scratchy and would be very grateful indeed for downloads.

eschiss1

Listened to the first two movements of Sulek 7 (sorry to take so long, and will listen to the other two very soon) - distracted by the feeling, as in a few other works (some of which I have heard quite a few times and like very much, e.g. Boris Tchaikovsky 2 which whether or not it contains a single quotation, has somehow that feeling of quoting-sections...??...; or Shostakovich symphony 15, or one of Eshpai's sonatas...- this is not in itself a complaint) that there is a whole lot of quoting going on. Very effectively and appropriately, it seems on a first listen, from Mahler and Bruckner and perhaps others? - but - well, in Prokofiev's Fiery Angel one has an opera that gets quoted from by a work I know better, but it's hard for me to concentrate on the "new" (to me) music because of that, so - a subjective thing I suppose. Ah, I dwell on it- it was worth hearing, the Sulek, as the other two movements will be and the whole will be worth hearing again. Thanks :)!!!

gabriel

I can´t download Symphonies 6 and 7 ("private"), and the first movmt of the Third.
Is it only my problem?
Thanks a lot!!

gasman

Had the same prob. with Sym 3 mv 1 too - I've tried over some hours today
Quote from: gabriel on Sunday 18 December 2011, 15:00
I can´t download Symphonies 6 and 7 ("private"), and the first movmt of the Third.
Is it only my problem?
Thanks a lot!!

febnyc

I had the good fortune to be presented, by a friend, with a couple of discs of Sulek's music - taken from the Jugoton LPs.

Today I listened to the Seventh Symphony and Sulek's Third Piano Concerto.  I really was impressed with the quality of the work.  The symphony opens with a lyrical, almost pastoral feeling - replete with what seemed to me to be bird calls - and including some interior climaxes which were quite thrilling.  The rest of the piece is a bit more serious and the second movement resembles a funeral march at times.  The finale is brilliant and quirky in a Shostakovich-ian manner.

The Piano Concerto No.3 was a revelation and I ran through it twice.  It opens as a sort of concertante work, with the piano not as dominant as it later becomes.  The second movement is filled with bird calls and sounds like a music box.  Again, the piece ends in a romp to the finish line - similar in style to that of the Seventh Symphony. 

Well done - and now I am on to Sulek's Sixth Symphony.

shamokin88

Same problem as others with Sulek 3. Have not tried 6 or 7. Best to all.

fr8nks

Please tell me where I can find the download links for Sulek Symphony 7 and PC 3. I am new to Unsung Composers but I am not new to classical music. Latvian and I have been friends and exchanging music for many years.

lechner1110

I just uploaded Sym#6 and #7 by Sulek. Enjoy these :)

fr8nks

Does anyone have a link to Sulek's Piano Concerto No.3? I tried to send a message to febnyc but he has blocked my messages for an unknown reason since I have never sent him a message before. He claims he has listened to it.

febnyc

Quote from: fr8nks on Wednesday 28 December 2011, 13:31
Does anyone have a link to Sulek's Piano Concerto No.3? I tried to send a message to febnyc but he has blocked my messages for an unknown reason since I have never sent him a message before. He claims he has listened to it.

I have no idea why your messages do not reach me - I have not "blocked" them.

At any rate, please read my initial post on Sulek.  I heard the Piano Concerto No.3 on a CD made for me and given to me by a friend who owns the original LP.  I do not have a "link."

fr8nks

Hi febnyc. Would you please consider uploading Sulek's Piano Concerto No.3 to Unsung Composers?

febnyc

Quote from: fr8nks on Wednesday 28 December 2011, 14:21
Hi febnyc. Would you please consider uploading Sulek's Piano Concerto No.3 to Unsung Composers?

fr8nks:  I would be happy to do so, but don't know the routine.

fr8nks

Hi febnyc,

I would be glad to walk you through the steps to upload music. I would even call you on the telephone at my expense to do so. I can relate to your situation in never having uploaded before. Up until a week ago I had never done it either and I was afraid of being overwhelmed by the procedure. Now I think it is pretty easy. You only need the capability of converting a WAV file to MP3 or being able to download a CD onto your computer in MP3 format to begin with.

I'll understand if this is something you don't care to do but if that is the case would you please get the label and LP number from your friend so I can search for the LP?

By the way, I just tried to send this to you as a message and a red warning appeared stating that personal messages were being blocked by you. If you don't want this to happen, please check your account settings. Thanks.

febnyc

Awfully sorry to disappoint but I would prefer not to get into converting files, etc. 

I think this is the LP - on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BJELINSKI-SULEK-PAPANDOPULO-KRPAN-YUGOSLAV-LP-1973-MINT-/140541177296?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item20b8e82dd0

P.S. - Thanks, I have modified my account settings to allow receipt of all personal messages.

fr8nks

Thanks, febnyc, I just bought the LP which I will upload once I receive it. Your info was a big help and I'm glad you modified your account settings.

fr8nks